Need help with settings

Ugh yeah this is a big issue. A few years ago the made some changes and well, it became harder to spot. Cockpit sharpness only helps spotting dots. Whenever I get home from work ill share my settings and see if they help.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Ugh yeah this is a big issue. A few years ago the made some changes and well, it became harder to spot. Cockpit sharpness only helps spotting dots. Whenever I get home from work ill share my settings and see if they help.

Tried with cockpit sharpness, but planes nearby are nearly invisible for me 

Edited by TheKomrade
medal medal medal medal medal medal

That's normal for me.

The black dot also dissapears if you zoom in on it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, NoodleCup31 said:

That's normal for me.

The black dot also dissapears if you zoom in on it.

Zooming in makes it easier to identify at closer ranges but if they are still far away the dot dissapears and becomes extremely hard to spot. 

medal medal

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

So save your current settings.

How do you do that?  I know, it sounds a dumb question, but I ask because I once lost all my hard earned and tested tweaks, adjustments etc.  As far as I can see you have all the pre-set settings - low, med, high etc - and then ‘custom’ which is any change from one of the pre-sets.  I’d read lots of posts about settings for good spotting and had things tweaked as well as I could manage, then for some reason I wanted to check one of the standard settings and bang! As soon as I selected ‘high,’ or whatever it was, those settings were applied (as expected), but I couldn’t revert because ‘custom’ was no longer what the last custom setting had been, but was ‘high’ ie the current settings.  FFS, games in the 90s could remember your last ‘custom’ set up.

It seems ‘custom’ is not a saved set up, but it simply a current setting that isn’t a pre-set.

medal

Things get worse when the match is made in low light. I think Gaijin is exaggerating the reproduction of reality

I mean, there is a difference between looking at a landscape through the window, and looking at the same landscape reproduced by computer graphics

3 hours ago, Kernow1346 said:

How do you do that?  I know, it sounds a dumb question, but I ask because I once lost all my hard earned and tested tweaks, adjustments etc.  As far as I can see you have all the pre-set settings - low, med, high etc - and then ‘custom’ which is any change from one of the pre-sets.  I’d read lots of posts about settings for good spotting and had things tweaked as well as I could manage, then for some reason I wanted to check one of the standard settings and bang! As soon as I selected ‘high,’ or whatever it was, those settings were applied (as expected), but I couldn’t revert because ‘custom’ was no longer what the last custom setting had been, but was ‘high’ ie the current settings.  FFS, games in the 90s could remember your last ‘custom’ set up.

It seems ‘custom’ is not a saved set up, but it simply a current setting that isn’t a pre-set.

Unfortunately im not sure. If there was an option like in controls where you could save a preset for the PostFX, that would be awesome. The next best thing (which is what I do) is to take a screenshot of your current settings and keep it so that if you ever decide to change them or mess around with them until you find something better. I have multiple screenshots but the one I posted is my current one that works best for me. 

Some work better with VR, others dont ect.. 

The main problem is that it con only make it slightly better for you, not completely fix the fact that planes become extremely hard to spot when up close. They blend in with the terrain too well. 

It really sucks because spotting is so important and it ruins a lot of my dogfights. I lose them for one second and its over.. unforgiving...

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Playing with the postfx will only help so much. The postfx will have to be tweaked each match based on illumination conditions.

The way to do it better, is to go into the condig.blk file and set the render distances to 0.000001 or small value.

That way, the game keeps rendering a dot untill you are very close, then switches to high poligon.

Because it switches to high poligon only when you are close, it will be easyier to follow.

The config.blk has to be saved, and read-only enabled, so that the game does not overwrite it.

The config.blk is found in the wt installation folder. You open it woth notepad.

It contains all the graphics settings.

You cand overwrite all the values with values higher or lower than the game menu allows you.

Edited by ARHANGHEL_MIHAIL
  • Upvote 1

It is a feature. You shouldn't see planes in this game. If you can see any please submit a bug report.

In game normal plane visuals are as below;

image.thumb.png.6b515ef32ccadd4a7eee8426

Edited by AdelWolf
  • Thanks 1
medal

On 23/01/2021 at 14:44, [email protected] said:

Just be aware, this works for me but might not work for you. So save your current settings.  Sorry it took awhile, Work keeps me busy.

20210123_063254.jpg

I tested this on my rig, it works fine for me. I will probably fiddle some with them to improve if possible, under some conditions (sun) its way to bright.

I have tested the method on changing the config.blk file and set the render distances to 0.000001 or similar small value. After doing that i changed back to default. It seems to be a better solution for me. I guess it will work for most rigs too.

Edited by DynaVoice

4 hours ago, ARHANGHEL_MIHAIL said:

The way to do it better, is to go into the condig.blk file and set the render distances to 0.000001 or small value.

That way, the game keeps rendering a dot untill you are very close, then switches to high poligon.

Do you know what units (if any) the render distance is measured in?  It would be good if the target starts to look like an aircraft before I need to think about shooting.

medal

1 hour ago, ARHANGHEL_MIHAIL said:

Just set it as low as 0.0001 or something.

I don't know the units.

I use it to keep a dot display for longer. 

If i set the render distance high, the plane will switch from dot to high polygon at 2km and i will just lose it

Cheers, I might try that; still lose sight of aircraft, as I’m actually looking straight at them, at just the point where they should be obvious.

medal

On 03/02/2021 at 08:24, ARHANGHEL_MIHAIL said:

Just set it as low as 0.0001 or something.

I used this parameter and the visibility improved a lot. I played a game with low visibility and even so the aircraft became much better to see, more natural I think.

Thank you very much

I'm just asking myself a question:

Why doesn't Gaijin set this parameter or something similar for us who play SB ?

Basically, anything that lowers the details will help with spotting.

No antialiasing, 8x antisotropy or lower, no shadows, bad quality clouds, small render distance, no effects, no shadows, terrain low quality.... just set everything on low, besides the rendering multiplier ( not renddistmul...) . It is the first option in the graphics menu.

So, set all to minimum.

Then open the config.blk file.

Set things even lower.

Set the rendering multiplier higher ( if your machine can handle it)

Low quality means less stuff blinding you.

Remember to right click and set on read only, in file properties, on config.blk. otherwise, warthunder will rewrite it each time it starts

If that,s not enough, you will have to start adjusting postfx options, ingame. 

Set it to polynom

Go to an offline, custom battle. 

Keep adjusting it ( the a,b,c,d,e components), while you look at targets against the ground and the sky.

Try to find something that works for both simultaneously....

Bear i  mind, that, after you find the sweet spot for your monitor with postfx ( it depends on your monitor....everyone is different) .

You will still have to adjust in game, for luminosity ( last parameter), based on time of battle ( morning, noon,evening,night)

Edited by ARHANGHEL_MIHAIL
  • Like 1

My Warthunder

Image result for warthunder full graphic details

Mihail's Warthunder

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Msfs1.00_000.png

E-sport ready!!!!

As if someone said - your opinion is worth ... if you can't get full immersion. Aye, right.

• Haha 3
medal medal