Wouldn't it be about time Gaijin to fix HESH?

Just watched some documentaries about the IDF in the 6 day  and Yom Kippur War, and veterans almost exclusively mentioning squash head loaded as the obliterated the T55 tanks of the enemy...try this in war thunder..yeah...

Tried using HESH in a game some days ago put 4 105mm hesh in an M41 Bulldog...turret front, turret BACK, side of the tank etc....all i got was yellow crew...i had to run leave him in the end and someone else oneshotted him with APHE

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

HESH works well depending on the vehicle, the AVRE and FV4005 can pretty consistently one-shot if you place your shots right.

105mm HESH should be reserved for light tanks though, it's not as effective as 105mm APDS vs heavily armoured targets.

Also, about this statement here:

5 hours ago, MTom said:

Just watched some documentaries about the IDF in the 6 day  and Yom Kippur War, and veterans almost exclusively mentioning squash head loaded as the obliterated the T55 tanks of the enemy...try this in war thunder..yeah...

Anecdotes≠Evidence

Israel always manages very high kill ratios regardless of their equipment, because they have a much better military structure than their opponents and typically fight with the defensive advantage.

Those IDF tankers had a lot of reasons to load HESH that we don't have in game.

1. HESH is well suited to anti-infantry and anti-emplacement, both irrelevant in WT.
  2. HESH is a fair bit cheaper than APDS IRL
  3. HESH is more accurate out of rifled guns than APDS (this is probably the biggest reason, since HESH is one of the only types of chemical munitions that can be spin-stabilized without losing penetration)
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, MTom said:

Just watched some documentaries about the IDF in the 6 day  and Yom Kippur War, and veterans almost exclusively mentioning squash head loaded as the obliterated the T55 tanks of the enemy...try this in war thunder..yeah.

By obliterate I wonder if he meant "it always killed at least a crew member or broke a component so the crew abandoned the tank".

medal medal medal medal medal medal

15 minutes ago, AraMacao said:

By obliterate I wonder if he meant "it always killed at least a crew member or broke a component so the crew abandoned the tank".

I think that sounds more realistic lol

Also, first try and got an easy Ace in the AVRE, in a full uptier, less than halfway into the game. So, the few vehicles that actually rely on HESH do fine.

hesh.jpg

Edited by watch_your_fire

32 minutes ago, watch_your_fire said:

Also, first try and got an easy Ace in the AVRE, in a full uptier, less than halfway into the game. So, the few vehicles that actually rely on HESH do fine.

I once played a custom game with AVRE in AB death match on Poland map and I had fun blowing up enemies in their fancy T-80:s and Leopard 2:s. :D

Edited by AraMacao

13 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

105mm HESH should be reserved for light tanks though, it's not as effective as 105mm APDS vs heavily armoured targets.

Might as well just HEAT at that point. HEAT can also hullbreak and it still effective vs non composite armored tanks. 

edit: this guy was talking about British L7 guns that don't carry HEAT. 

Edited by AssaultPlazma

26 minutes ago, watch_your_fire said:

Implying British tanks have HEAT

Whoops lol, you said 105 and I immediately thought M68 not L7. 

The 165mm HESH works fine as does the naval artillery FVBattlebus.

120mm and 105mm HESH has been under performing for so very long. Mostly due to the whines of the wehraboos when we where hunting their precious tiggers.

This is what HESH does to T55's by the way:

Syrian T-55 wreck on the Golan heights - 1973 [1600x986] : DestroyedTanks

medal medal

3 minutes ago, Fallenkezef said:

The only damage I see is to the mud guard.

1 hour ago, Fallenkezef said:

Both hatches are open, so I assume the turret crew survived. Looking at the indent on the hull, probably killed the driver and nobody else... which is what it does in game anyway

Edited by watch_your_fire
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

Both hatches are open, so I assume the turret crew survived. Looking at the indent on the hull, probably killed the driver and nobody else... which is what it does in game anyway

It looks like the whole hull roof has collapsed.

Not sure if done by the HESH or ammo explosion/fire afterwards though.

medal medal medal

HESH isn't going to be buffed because that would buff the U.K. who are currently on the craplist with the U.S.A.

Edited by AssaultPlazma
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fallenkezef said:

Any ACTUAL evidence this was done by HESH?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

26 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

HESH isn't going to be buffed because that would buff the U.K. who are currently on the shitlist with the U.S.A.

Mostly Britian right now with the bugged turrets. Btw has that been reported or has it been ignored or what? 

medal medal medal medal

28 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

HESH isn't going to be buffed because that would buff the U.K. who are currently on the shitlist with the U.S.A.

Well a HESH/HEP buff would help all L7/M68 gunned tanks including their beloved Leopard 1.

Back when HESH was good, it was heavily spammed by Leopard 1s camping on the other side of map.

18 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Any ACTUAL evidence this was done by HESH?

It is always hard to trace a certain shot from a battle, especially an intense one like IDF vs Arabs, but from interview it seems HESH was their preferred round from long range. I guess they like it as its efficiency doesn't decrease from range.

medal medal medal

image.png

even the 106mm hesh is nerfed

it can't kill a panther now . why ? 

and even HE is nerfed too

use 57mm russian aphe and HE (HE at a US m36 from the roof into the turret) 

with over 9x more TNT it barley makes yellow.(artillery meme destroying the US t34 at each game )

Edited by ACOMETS
  • Upvote 2
medal

last patch i shot BMP1 with it and he got transmission (when AP could hullbreak you) . he killed me there and this patch after the nerf it is useless . even the 106 mm heat is nerfed.

medal

1 hour ago, AssaultPlazma said:

....at one BR range.... for one year... in a game that regularly goes through power shifts...

This time 3 years ago the Abrams was the best tank in the game. Your anger is warranted, but the whole "Gaijin hates X" is kind of silly. It will be America's turn at top tier again don't you worry.

53 minutes ago, Loongsheep said:

it is always hard to trace a certain shot from a battle, especially an intense one like IDF vs Arabs, but from interview it seems HESH was their preferred round from long range. I guess they like it as its efficiency doesn't decrease from range.

HESH is spin stabilized so it's innately more accurate than sabot ammunition, that's why Britain has stuck with rifled guns for so long (probably longer than they should have but if it works it works)

2 minutes ago, watch_your_fire said:

HESH is spin stabilized so it's innately more accurate than sabot ammunition, that's why Britain has stuck with rifled guns for so long (probably longer than they should have but if it works it works)

Yeah the advent of capable FCS around the late 80's early 90's really should have been the death keel for the rifled main gun. U.K didn't want to give up on its massive stockpile of 120 HESH though, hence the L30 on Challenger 2. 

Sure I get that you're squeezing more explosive mass out of a spin-stabilized round than what you get with fin, but the intrinsic limitations on barrel pressure, higher per-unit barrel cost, sustainment, and making yourself a pariah when it comes to 120 ammunition within NATO just never made sense to me. 

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Mostly Britian right now with the bugged turrets. Btw has that been reported or has it been ignored or what? 

??????????????????????????

Well a HESH/HEP buff would help all L7/M68 gunned tanks including their beloved Leopard 1.

Back when HESH was good, it was heavily spammed by Leopard 1s camping on the other side of map.

Yes, but it primarily benefits the English, cause America and Germany still have HEAT. 

....at one BR range.... for one year... in a game that regularly goes through power shifts...

This time 3 years ago the Abrams was the best tank in the game. Your anger is warranted, but the whole "Gaijin hates X" is kind of silly. It will be America's turn at top tier again don't you worry.

I'm not talking about just top tier. 

4 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Yes, but it primarily benefits the English, cause America and Germany still have HEAT. 

It was way more deadly than HEAT-FS when it still worked.

Literally any hit on Soviet UFP = kill or 90% crippled.

medal medal medal