Bounces When Shooting Gun Barrels

Am I missing something about damaging gun barrels?

I have reluctantly accepted that this is something you have to do, but.. there have been a huge number of times that I've hit someone's gun barrel, had the shell bounce off, not even turn teh gun barrel yellow, and then watched as they shot and broke mine.

Just has a game where my PzGR 39 hit an E2's's 75 from teh side, ricocheted off the barrel, he turned his turret to me, shot him again , hit the barrel did nothing, and to be honest I'm pretty sure my gun barrel was then disabled by his .50 machine gun...

This seems to happen a lot to me, yet mine always seem to get knocked out if anyone hits anywhere on my tank, let alone the turret.

I'm reasonably certain Gaijin doesn't have a personal grudge against me, so curious- is there a specific part of the barrel you're supposed to hit? OR am I (as usual) just having my ongoing mind warping poor RNG.

medal medal medal

The opposite is what always amazes me.  The repeated barrel shots from across the map.  Those guys are really good or....

In any case its about as low skill a move as there is.  On one hand its a shame its in the game on the other there are situations were its the only way for a light vehicle to survive against a heavy.  Try to use it sparingly.  

medal medal medal

In rare cases the equivalent thickness of the barrel can be quite huge and the angle may be unideal as well, which leads to ricochets. So you may want a vertical hit at your enemies' barrels.

However, shooting enemies at their barrels should be list as emergency measures for its uncertainty. In your case of encountering a Jumbo, it would be recommended to fire at his side armor of the hull, which is more predicable and would normally knock him out at one shot.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal