The mechanics of flying in RB is very similar to AB, the controls are exactly the same.

The strategy is very different, you will always start on/near the airfield at low altitude and for the most part you'll want to climb up to a decent level before you try and engage the enemy. 

In RB you can break your wings if you fly too fast or pull too many G's so you want to be careful in dives and the only way to reload is to land on your friendly airfield so you have to keep an eye on your ammo and be careful not to hold down the trigger too long and jam your guns.

RB is a little slower paced at first and you really want to try and manoeuvre and set up the engagement in a way that is beneficial to you going in but it can get very crazy and intense when you are dogfighting multiple opponents and trying to hold out until your friendlies arrive or you get some lucky hits to even the odds. 

If you want to play RB the best way is just to jump in a game and give it a go. 

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :D

• Like 1
medal medal medal

Well I'm not the most experienced bloke when it comes to Air RB in WT but I think I've had a decent stab at it to at least set you in the right path (Also just gotta make that first post too I suppose). Here are some pointers that come to mind.

• Firstly Air RB is pretty different to Arcade Battles, your plane will preform much 'worse' (realistic I suppose) and without it being tuned to 110%. Climb, speed, engine power, maneuverability etc.. are all affected and reduced to an extent for RB. Something to keep in mind for a bit.
  • No lead indicator means shooting is more difficult, this will only develop through hours of practice, flying and deflection shooting. For the most part you'll feel like you're shooting with a blindfold on, don't sweat it we were all that brutal when we started.
  • It's ill advised to fly straight into battle and expect your enemies to do the same, and a foolproof plan to get you caught in a furball or by other players. Learn to sideclimb or spiral climb, anything to build up a great deal of altitude to put you up in a more advantageous position. Sideclimbing could take from a few minutes to several so be very patient, and altitude depends on what type of aircraft you are flying too.
  • Start off with lower BRs as plenty of newer players will more than likely be pitted against yourself, on a more equal playing field.
  • Try stay alive, if not learn from that, you will learn very quickly or not depending on if you really take time to figure out ''Why did I die?'' or ''How did he get on my six?''. A bit of post game assessment may be helpful for this. After a few games of being picked off too easily you'll discover ''I need to choose my engagements more carefully , I keep diving into groups of fighters I knew I couldn't take on'' or '' I could have extended away instead of going for a dangerous and questionable vertical maneuver, which left me slow and vulnerable''... And boom you aren't dying as much anymore to the same thing.
  • Keep a cool head, freaking out will not do you any good. Being caught in a dive for the first few times will get your adrenaline going as you panic mash keys, again time will only ease this out.

MORE ADVANCED STUFF

A selection of stuff I wholeheartedly recommend, although perhaps overkill for a beginner, still can be essential:

• Learn about Energy Advantages, Energy Retention or any other basic aeronautical terms, last one may be redundant but the basic understanding of Energy State will set a good precedent and you'll find yourself setting up your planes in more advantageous positions.
  • Learn your aircraft well, the those of the enemy. US planes generally have high rip speed as opposed to Soviet planes suffering from low rip speeds, or Soviet planes excel at lower altitudes whilst struggle at higher altitudes etc. Take time to do this as knowing your plane very well and playing to it's strengths will prove fruitful in the long-term whilst knowing enemies allows you to exploit their weaknesses.
  • Learn off some basic dog-fighting maneuvers. The Split S, High and Low Yo-Yos, Immelmanns, Pitchback etc... Are some very simple maneuvers that may seem daunting at first but will prove very useful in the long term. Early Air RB games are filled with player not knowing what they are doing so why not get a upperhand on them by trying even some of these techniques out? Learn to Merge or cause Overshoots if possible.
  • Learn from others too, other players and YouTube Tutorials are pretty good resources.

And the final tip. TIME, Lots of it. You'll have no idea what you are doing and constantly dying and not knowing why. But a few months or a year in you're baiting German BF 109s in Vertical Maneuver traps with ease and causing overshoots a good amount of times, and then another good chunk of time you'll carry teams with a cool head. It'll only go on form there bro.

This concludes my epic saga, jump in and have some bloody fun mate.

-S

Edited by Tactical_Asian

1 hour ago, Paul__C said:

The mechanics of flying in RB is very similar to AB, the controls are exactly the same.

The strategy is very different, you will always start on/near the airfield at low altitude and for the most part you'll want to climb up to a decent level before you try and engage the enemy. 

In RB you can break your wings if you fly too fast or pull too many G's so you want to be careful in dives and the only way to reload is to land on your friendly airfield so you have to keep an eye on your ammo and be careful not to hold down the trigger too long and jam your guns.

RB is a little slower paced at first and you really want to try and manoeuvre and set up the engagement in a way that is beneficial to you going in but it can get very crazy and intense when you are dogfighting multiple opponents and trying to hold out until your friendlies arrive or you get some lucky hits to even the odds. 

If you want to play RB the best way is just to jump in a game and give it a go. 

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :D

how i can destroy planes with my USA planes? is very difficult

43 minutes ago, Tactical_Asian said:

Well I'm not the most experienced bloke when it comes to Air RB in WT but I think I've had a decent stab at it to at least set you in the right path (Also just gotta make that first post too I suppose). Here are some pointers that come to mind.

• Firstly Air RB is pretty different to Arcade Battles, your plane will preform much 'worse' (realistic I suppose) and without it being tuned to 110%. Climb, speed, engine power, maneuverability etc.. are all affected and reduced to an extent for RB. Something to keep in mind for a bit.
  • No lead indicator means shooting is more difficult, this will only develop through hours of practice, flying and deflection shooting. For the most part you'll feel like you're shooting with a blindfold on, don't sweat it we were all that brutal when we started.
  • It's ill advised to fly straight into battle and expect your enemies to do the same, and a foolproof plan to get you caught in a furball or by other players. Learn to sideclimb or spiral climb, anything to build up a great deal of altitude to put you up in a more advantageous position. Sideclimbing could take from a few minutes to several so be very patient, and altitude depends on what type of aircraft you are flying too.
  • Start off with lower BRs as plenty of newer players will more than likely be pitted against yourself, on a more equal playing field.
  • Try stay alive, if not learn from that, you will learn very quickly or not depending on if you really take time to figure out ''Why did I die?'' or ''How did he get on my six?''. A bit of post game assessment may be helpful for this. After a few games of being picked off too easily you'll discover ''I need to choose my engagements more carefully , I keep diving into groups of fighters I knew I couldn't take on'' or '' I could have extended away instead of going for a dangerous and questionable vertical maneuver, which left me slow and vulnerable''... And boom you aren't dying as much anymore to the same thing.
  • Keep a cool head, freaking out will not do you any good. Being caught in a dive for the first few times will get your adrenaline going as you panic mash keys, again time will only ease this out.

MORE ADVANCED STUFF

A selection of stuff I wholeheartedly recommend, although perhaps overkill for a beginner, still can be essential:

• Learn about Energy Advantages, Energy Retention or any other basic aeronautical terms, last one may be redundant but the basic understanding of Energy State will set a good precedent and you'll find yourself setting up your planes in more advantageous positions.
  • Learn your aircraft well, the those of the enemy. US planes generally have high rip speed as opposed to Soviet planes suffering from low rip speeds, or Soviet planes excel at lower altitudes whilst struggle at higher altitudes etc. Take time to do this as knowing your plane very well and playing to it's strengths will prove fruitful in the long-term whilst knowing enemies allows you to exploit their weaknesses.
  • Learn off some basic dog-fighting maneuvers. The Split S, High and Low Yo-Yos, Immelmanns, Pitchback etc... Are some very simple maneuvers that may seem daunting at first but will prove very useful in the long term. Early Air RB games are filled with player not knowing what they are doing so why not get a upperhand on them by trying even some of these techniques out? Learn to Merge or cause Overshoots if possible.
  • Learn from others too, other players and YouTube Tutorials are pretty good resources.

And the final tip. TIME, Lots of it. You'll have  no idea what you are doing and constantly dying and not knowing why. But a few months or a year in you're baiting German BF 109s in Vertical Maneuver traps with ease and causing overshoots a good amount of times, and then another good chunk of time you'll carry teams with a cool head. It'll only go on form there bro.

This concludes my epic saga, jump in and have some bloody fun mate.

-S

i  thinking of play more often in bombers because is more easy destroy bases than chases planes and i can get a kill atleast

6 hours ago, Paul__C said:

you will always start on/near the airfield at low altitude

Not true! I wish it was though, I hate having my torpedo bomber forced to spawn at 3500 meters.:017:

12 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Not true! I wish it was though, I hate having my torpedo bomber forced to spawn at 3500 meters.:017:

Can't you select the airfield? You can for most planes.

I know some of the newer maps seems to air start everyone low down near the airfield which I don't really like. 

5 hours ago, Superyuruli said:

how i can destroy planes with my USA planes? is very difficult

American planes are not the best to start flying RB in, you have to be pretty strict about how you fly them and you really need an energy advantage to engage. 

I recommend flying German or British to learn more about energy fighting and Boom N Zoom tactics before moving on to USA

medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Superyuruli said:

I dont know really how to play RB, but look like less stressful than AB, i know how to shoot but about the fly is very difficult

the actual flying is similar to arcade but the strategy is quite different

always start by climbing up high for a few minutes, try to stay close to your allies and only shoot when the enemy is really close to preserve ammo

an altitude advantage will give you the upper hand in most scenarios so avoid engaging enemies above you and try to run towards your allies if they attack you from above

medal medal medal

8 hours ago, Superyuruli said:

naaa f***k this mode i tried like 3 hours and don't get nothing more than lose SL, f**** this sh*t

I wouldn't give up so easily! RB has a fairly large learning curve, but is very rewarding when you learn. Try playing all nations at low br, maybe something clicks with you. 

Quick checklist of mistakes new people make in RB-

-No situational awareness
-Don't climb

-Always full commit headon

Something that helped me is to talk through what I am doing and why in my head. This can make you aware of bad habits or things you are doing wrong. 

34 minutes ago, Superyuruli said:

i follows all tutorial tips about, and i mean i was playing with a bomber

Bombers won't really teach you how to learn to play anything. If you want to learn how to fight other planes, play fighters. Expect yourself to die a lot before you start killing things. 

• Like 1

Also bombers are RP piñatas now more than ever with the gunner nerfs.

American bombers used to be formidable opponents but not so much anymore.

Thanks to the matchmaker you'll be going against Germany and Russia a lot any they both have big cannons which will kill you in 1 or 2 hits.

Like @apiece_ said your better off jumping in a fighter and getting killed a lot. That's the best way to learn aerial combat!

Stick with 1 plane for a while until you get comfortable with the basics of energy retention and manoeuvres.

For low tier Americans I recommend the P-36s as they are what I started with in RB and Sim. 

Mid tier I'd probably suggest P-63 or F6F which are a little more forgiving than the P51s in terms of manoeuvrability.

medal medal medal

@Superyuruli

3.7 is not a good BR for U.S right now; J-21s, Spitfires and uptiers vs 4.3 Bf 109s shrek U.S aircraft. I played maybe 15 games at that BR, couldn't get a win. My advice is to main the P-40F, as it's a good fighter that can do anything given enough skill, then upgrade to the F4U-1A and eventually the F4U-1D and F4U-1A USMC. Once you are satisfied with those, don't keep grinding the naval tree, Get the P-38G, which will teach you energy fighting in a purer form, then the P-63A-10 and C-5 as well as the P-47s. Skip the D-22 and D-25, and go to the D-28; yes it's at a higher BR, but it is the best tech tree thunderbolt. After a few dozen games you'll likely have the P-51D-5 and the D-30. Finally, mustangs! You hop in and instantly get clubbed by Bf 109s.

I guarantee you that that is what will happen. Guaranteed. Go back to the F4U-1D, play that thing in uptiers, learn from it, and come back to the P-51Ds. You'll do much better, and it'll be a lot more fun. Make sure to grind out SL and RP using the P-38J at 4.3: it's newbie-friendly for a U.S plane given the airspawn, cannon and nose-mounted guns, and can actually turn with 190s. You'll still get punished for mistakes, but it's a good plane and it makes tons of dough. As for the F-82E.... I don't know, I ground the tree when it was in the P-51D folder, and as such I never bought it. Since I can't say anything good about the plane, my advice is to skip it unless you want to go out for gunpod laser memes.

Skip the P-47N. Yes it's a good plane that can put Bf 109s in their place once it gets its altitude, but it can't fight the match timer, and the 4-5 extra minutes you spend getting your advantage mean that by the time you get to fighting you will be short on time, teammates, and positioning. After that, I recommend the F4U-4 at 5.0, which is excellent; then finish up the rest of the tree before heading to jets.

Edited by TourDeForce

4 hours ago, apiece_ said:

Bombers won't really teach you how to learn to play anything. If you want to learn how to fight other planes, play fighters. Expect yourself to die a lot before you start killing things. 

i don't have enough SL and patience to wait to start "killing things"

2 hours ago, Paul__C said:

Also bombers are RP piñatas now more than ever with the gunner nerfs.

American bombers used to be formidable opponents but not so much anymore.

Thanks to the matchmaker you'll be going against Germany and Russia a lot any they both have big cannons which will kill you in 1 or 2 hits.

Like @apiece_ said your better off jumping in a fighter and getting killed a lot. That's the best way to learn aerial combat!

Stick with 1 plane for a while until you get comfortable with the basics of energy retention and manoeuvres.

For low tier Americans I recommend the P-36s as they are what I started with in RB and Sim. 

Mid tier I'd probably suggest P-63 or F6F which are a little more forgiving than the P51s in terms of manoeuvrability.

the same as @apiece_

2 hours ago, TourDeForce said:

@Superyuruli

3.7 is not a good BR for U.S right now; J-21s, Spitfires and uptiers vs 4.3 Bf 109s shrek U.S aircraft. I played maybe 15 games at that BR, couldn't get a win. My advice is to main the P-40F, as it's a good fighter that can do anything given enough skill, then upgrade to the F4U-1A and eventually the F4U-1D and F4U-1A USMC. Once you are satisfied with those, don't keep grinding the naval tree, Get the P-38G, which will teach you energy fighting in a purer form, then the P-63A-10 and C-5 as well as the P-47s. Skip the D-22 and D-25, and go to the D-28; yes it's at a higher BR, but it is the best tech tree thunderbolt. After a few dozen games you'll likely have the P-51D-5 and the D-30. Finally, mustangs! You hop in and instantly get clubbed by Bf 109s.

I guarantee you that that is what will happen. Guaranteed. Go back to the F4U-1D, play that thing in uptiers, learn from it, and come back to the P-51Ds. You'll do much better, and it'll be a lot more fun. Make sure to grind out SL and RP using the P-38J at 4.3: it's newbie-friendly for a U.S plane given the airspawn, cannon and nose-mounted guns, and can actually turn with 190s. You'll still get punished for mistakes, but it's a good plane and it makes tons of dough. As for the F-82E.... I don't know, I ground the tree when it was in the P-51D folder, and as such I never bought it. Since I can't say anything good about the plane, my advice is to skip it unless you want to go out for gunpod laser memes.

Skip the P-47N. Yes it's a good plane that can put Bf 109s in their place once it gets its altitude, but it can't fight the match timer, and the 4-5 extra minutes you spend getting your advantage mean that by the time you get to fighting you will be short on time, teammates, and positioning. After that, I recommend the F4U-4 at 5.0, which is excellent; then finish up the rest of the tree before heading to jets.

nope i follow you advice about play with the F4U-1D and it's worst, i get killed so easy

3 hours ago, TourDeForce said:

.7 is not a good BR for U.S right now; J-21s, Spitfires and uptiers vs 4.3 Bf 109s shrek U.S aircraft. I played maybe 15 games at that BR, couldn't get a win. My advice is to main the P-40F, as it's a good fighter that can do anything given enough skill, then upgrade to the F4U-1A and eventually the F4U-1D and F4U-1A USMC. Once you are satisfied with those, don't keep grinding the naval tree, Get the P-38G, which will teach you energy fighting in a purer form, then the P-63A-10 and C-5 as well as the P-47s. Skip the D-22 and D-25, and go to the D-28; yes it's at a higher BR, but it is the best tech tree thunderbolt. After a few dozen games you'll likely have the P-51D-5 and the D-30. Finally, mustangs! You hop in and instantly get clubbed by Bf 109s.

Lot of hot takes here

First how, how are J21s a problem to US aircraft? Pretty much everything outclimbs it and out-energies it. Spits are a bit more difficult to deal with, but cmon.

Would play F4U1A because as long as you stay fast, you are extremely effective. Not sure why you put the USMC variant here, basically the same plane at a higher BR. I have no experience with the F4U-1D. Why wouldn't you continue to grind the naval tree? You have F4U-4 and 4B there. Would recommend playing P-39N-0 instead of P-63 as the 63 got its low end thrust nerfed, and P-39 is a nice plane to fly (even i could get a positive kd in it relatively inexperienced). 

Why are you giving advice on planes you don't know how to fly?

1 hour ago, Superyuruli said:

i don't have enough SL and patience to wait to start "killing things"

Play low BRs. At most you lose what, 5k?

[Missed this]

3 hours ago, TourDeForce said:

and can actually turn with 190s

Like this is something unique?

• Upvote 1

I'm not here to pick a fight with anybody; merely stating my thoughts on the best approach to the tree.

P-39N is a pretty good fighter, you're right. I haven't played it since they removed 2,000 rounds of ammo for the MGs tho.

1 hour ago, apiece_ said:

Play low BRs. At most you lose what, 5k?

How that is going to help? if i don't know how to fly in that mode with what br's is going to help¿

22 hours ago, Paul__C said:

Can't you select the airfield? You can for most planes.

All except seaplanes, but there remain some maps that have airfields but no airfield spawn unless you take the time to go down and land. Realism pffft. 

11 hours ago, Superyuruli said:

And nothing work at all, i fly for 5 minnutes with my bomber and a plane in 10 seconds only shoot once, kill me, that is f**ing stressful.

I don't play with planes because is more difficult either

Air "Realistic" Battle still shows your position to the enemy, just like arcade markers. Try playing fighters in ground RB, where that doesn't happen.

3 hours ago, Drexciyan909 said:

Race to the cap, firing your machine gun in the air/at teammates, the entire way.

Can't go wrong.

yeah the only thing i can lose is all my SL

2 hours ago, TourDeForce said:

We're talking about air RB here.

yep

6 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

All except seaplanes, but there remain some maps that have airfields but no airfield spawn unless you take the time to go down and land. Realism pffft. 

Air "Realistic" Battle still shows your position to the enemy, just like arcade markers. Try playing fighters in ground RB, where that doesn't happen.

same thing as i say, 5 minutes flying to get killed in 7 seconds

4 hours ago, Superyuruli said:

How that is going to help? if i don't know how to fly in that mode with what br's is going to help¿

:008:

Low BRs are the most forgiving , as you fight more inexperienced players, the gameplay is slower paced, and generally the planes aren't difficult to play

Play 4.0 and under for now, you will not lose a lot of SL and it's a nice environment to learn in. 

19 hours ago, Superyuruli said:

You said so but i'm climbing with USA trees, and i'm not thinking change nation until i unlock all USA vehicles

i follows all tutorial tips about, and i mean i was playing with a bomber

- Dont rush

- Don't stay near to plane fights

And nothing work at all, i fly for 5 minnutes with my bomber and a plane in 10 seconds only shoot once, kill me, that is f**ing stressful.

I don't play with planes because is more difficult either

If realistic is more difficult than AB, simulator is like pretend to know how to fly a plane for real, i tried two times and i always died trying to climb the plane ahahah

Well mate, been tracking the progress of this chat for a bit and it's quit evident that you aren't really applying yourself to the tips fully and you're rushing yourself and expecting far too much as well... Of course, you are jumping into a brand new mode and everything is pretty new to you as well and it's gonna take a long bloody time, and I mean that. It's gonna feel awkward and you are going to die a lot as well. You should expect this and try not to lose your temper so quickly at it as well.

Let's move off the topic of War Thunder for a bit, playing and learning new fighters in Air RB is like trying a new hobby, or learning a new riff on guitar, or learning a brand new trick on the skateboard. You have no idea what you are doing, movements and ideas feel foreign to you and the muscle memory isn't there. You try for that new thing for a couple of minutes, hours even! But you're getting nowhere... Time to give up I suppose eh? Throw my skateboard on the ground in anger because I can't land this frontside flip or curse at your guitar even. Don't, it's the same for WT, why are you expecting instant results for something you've never really tried? You've admitted to playing mostly bombers and that you shy away from fighters so it's only a give that you'll be clueless and nervous playing fighters.

What BR have you tried your matches at? I take it you have a few higher BR fighters because of your bomber and Air AB days so if you're jumping into a P47D25 or something like that with only bombers as your main source of experience, you sir are eye candy to more experienced players and it'll end up as seal clubbing. Don't play only bombers, bombers basically act as pinatas most of the time being quickly picked off by enemy interceptors...

Drop the ego and just start off with lower BRs as recommended by @apiece_ and @Paul__C and go listen to their sound advice too, they know what they're talking about and disowning their advice and experience because you lost a few matches is only going to be more harmful in the long term.

If you can take away one thing from this, it's that you need a bit more patience. You're going to lose a bunch battles before you start to notice a change or improvement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, apiece_ said:

:008:

Low BRs are the most forgiving , as you fight more inexperienced players, the gameplay is slower paced, and generally the planes aren't difficult to play

Play 4.0 and under for now, you will not lose a lot of SL and it's a nice environment to learn in. 

I'm playing 3.3 right now ahahaha