Recently I have been playing top tier jets instead of the tier 4 planes that I normally play, I've gone to youtube for some help but they only explain in realistic battle settings.

I've been having a lot of issues with identifying who I attack at long ranges, my AAM Radar will start beeping but I have no idea what it has begun to start tracking. 

In many situations I would also have the plane in sight and locked on but cant figure out if its my teammate or a enemy from the distance that I am away.

Any tips/help for identifying and efficiently using the AAM Radar?

medal

Only top BR planes (MiG-21bis and the best phantom) can tell you if what you have locked is a enemy or a friendly, if you don't have that system, you'll have to wait till you see the plane

I am not sure about what you mean by the "beeping" of AAM Radar. There are usually 2 kinds of beeping:

• The first one is warning you about other players who are having radar scanning in the distance (radar warning receiver). It goes to a continuous non-stop beep alarm if someone has their radar locked on to your aircraft.
  • The second one is the sound from the missile; different sounds for acquire targets/locked on to "potential" targets.

Nevertheless, you can only tell if the aircraft is enemy with aircraft like MiG-21 or Phantoms (like AngelPiret mentioned above) in top tier. Those with tiny 3 km range "radar" isn't really a radar. Normally, try to look at the symbols on top of the aircraft your radar detected to see if it is friendly/enemy. Triangle with lines on sides are enemy I believe, and triangles without lines are friendly. Lastly, you usually can only lock onto enemy aircraft, I don't think you can lock onto friendly aircraft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Exophobia said:

I am not sure about what you mean by the "beeping" of AAM Radar. There are usually 2 kinds of beeping:

• The first one is warning you about other players who are having radar scanning in the distance (radar warning receiver). It goes to a continuous non-stop beep alarm if someone has their radar locked on to your aircraft.
  • The second one is the sound from the missile; different sounds for acquire targets/locked on to "potential" targets.

Nevertheless, you can only tell if the aircraft is enemy with aircraft like MiG-21 or Phantoms (like AngelPiret mentioned above) in top tier. Those with tiny 3 km range "radar" isn't really a radar. Normally, try to look at the symbols on top of the aircraft your radar detected to see if it is friendly/enemy. Triangle with lines on sides are enemy I believe, and triangles without lines are friendly. Lastly, you usually can only lock onto enemy aircraft, I don't think you can lock onto friendly aircraft.

I was talking about the second beeping noise from the missile, and thank your for the tip about the triangles. Players have mentioned that in the multiplayer chat but I never knew what they meant with the identification triangles.  

medal

The lines to the sides of the triangles which denote radar contacts, simply identify the contact that will be locked.  Aside from the Phantoms and MiG-21s with a search radar, the Lightning and Draken have IFF - and I think the Mirage too (Starfighters?)

IFF

The IFF works by placing a line underneath a friendly contact, so on your radar display friendlies appear as =, while enemy aircraft will be -.  The triangles on the HUD compass at the top of the screen will also be underlined if friendly.

J32B also has IFF.

Edited by Kernow1346
  • Thanks 1
medal

On 20/01/2021 at 08:24, [email protected] said:

I was talking about the second beeping noise from the missile, and thank your for the tip about the triangles. Players have mentioned that in the multiplayer chat but I never knew what they meant with the identification triangles.  

The beeping noise with the missiles aren't "radars" nor are they related to a radar for the most part. They're mostly relevant to searching and tracking targets, as well as being used explicitly for semi-active radar guided missiles (AIM-7, R-3R, Magic 530). Only heat-seeking missiles emit a "beeping" or "growling" noise to indicate tones.

However, some advanced heatseeking missiles such as AIM-9J, R-60, R550 Magic 1's can have their missile's seeker-heads "slaved" onto your radar target if your plane has a tracking radar (such as an F-4, Mirage, or MiG-21PFM/MF/SMT/Bis does). By this, if you lock onto a target with your tracking radar, the seeker-head of your missile (the inner circle that points to what you're locked onto) will constantly and already be looking at your radar target so it becomes way easier for the missile's seeker-head to lock onto the heat signatures of your target aircraft.

As to figuring out if what you're chasing is a friendly or enemy, you really just have to rely on visual identification if you don't have IFF radar, or your teammates and yourself using position reports (pressing T, 4, then 1).

Otherwise, to answer the original questions: No you don't have a reliable way of knowing what your missiles are locked onto if there's multiple targets in a straight line in front of you unless you're in third-person view like AB/RB. If it has a maneuvering seeker-head (basically every missiles that aren't AIM-9B or R-3S since those two missiles only have fixed seeker-heads), the seeker-head will usually be a bit "sticky" and keep locked on whatever first heat signatures it locks onto, so you may need to either re-start your missiles or maneuver away from your targets if you think you're locked onto a friendly.

Also, probably the best tip I could give for using missiles is: Just because your missile is locked onto something doesn't mean that's what the missile will go after when you fire it. Heatseeking missiles go after the -best- target it sees, not what you locked onto. That's why flares can decoy and trick heatseeking missiles into going after it instead of the target aircraft, and why if you fire at an enemy plane that is in front of a friendly for example, it will usually go after the friendly since they're a lot closer and are a stronger source of heat signatures- basically acting as a glorified flare for the enemy plane you were locked onto.

Other than that, a tip with -actually- using missiles would be for you to avoid making high-aspect shots. Missiles are heavily reliant on their energy states, and especially after their burn times (rocket fuel) run out, they become easier to dodge by the target. Try to give your missiles as much lead as possible, minimize the aspects you'll have to make the shots in (as in, you're more likely to hit your target if you fire a missile from straight behind an enemy, rather than from his side as he's turning and forcing you to make lead). There's a lot of specifics and it's all different for different missiles, but I'm certain you'll figure it all out quickly along the way.

Oh but most importantly, please know what you're firing a missile at, -before you fire it, not after-

Personally I love missile warfare, it's a mixed bag in War Thunder but the fun's still there. Hope these text walls help, and good hunting ;)

medal medal medal medal