How to taxi in Tournaments.

hey, I am a pretty new player, that is mostly interested in Ground Vehicles, so I don't play planes often, an example of how this shows is that the Highest tier tank I have is at Tier IV (T-44) but my highest tier plane is a 2.3 (Yak-1) I just wanted to do a tournament, enduring confrontation to be specific. And to add to this, i've been playing mostly arcade for everything, so, my question is, how do I taxi down the run-way?

Start you engine.

Apply low thrust (somewhere in 20-25% range should be enough for most planes to start rolling). If you apply too much thrust, torque will start to pull you off sideways in SB (the only mode which has permanent confrontations) and occasional planes in RB - counter it with rudder or wheel brakes (only if you have them separate for left and right wheels; rudder is easier).

Use rudder to adjust your heading.

When you've arrived at your destination (start of the runway, hangar, whatever): apply full wheelbrakes, add a little more thrust after you stop, apply full rudder - this will turn you in the desired direction without moving much.

After you've assumed the right direction, release rudder first. Then, if you wish to stay there, reduce thrust to 0 before releasing the brakes.

Beware that you'll have reduced visibility on all planes with tailwheel (most props, in fact) in cockpit view - perhaps practice a bit on a tricycle first. Soviet premium Cobras or B-25 can be taken into test flight for this purpose.

Some aircraft may also have difficulties taking off - though, it mostly applies to heavier bombers on really short runways. If you still hit such a situation (runway's too short) by chance, the following may help to take off:

Taxi off to the very start of the runway (if not there yet).

Apply wheelbrakes.

Apply full thrust and wait a moment until your engines reach their max RPM and start overpowering the brakes (plane starts slowly moving forward).

Then release the brakes.

Edited by VF_Unrecognized
medal medal

16 hours ago, VF_Unrecognized said:

Start you engine.

Apply low thrust (somewhere in 20-25% range should be enough for most planes to start rolling). If you apply too much thrust, torque will start to pull you off sideways in SB (the only mode which has permanent confrontations) and occasional planes in RB - counter it with rudder or wheel brakes (only if you have them separate for left and right wheels; rudder is easier).

Use rudder to adjust your heading.

When you've arrived at your destination (start of the runway, hangar, whatever): apply full wheelbrakes, add a little more thrust after you stop, apply full rudder - this will turn you in the desired direction without moving much.

After you've assumed the right direction, release rudder first. Then, if you wish to stay there, reduce thrust to 0 before releasing the brakes.

Beware that you'll have reduced visibility on all planes with tailwheel (most props, in fact) in cockpit view - perhaps practice a bit on a tricycle first. Soviet premium Cobras or B-25 can be taken into test flight for this purpose.

Some aircraft may also have difficulties taking off - though, it mostly applies to heavier bombers on really short runways. If you still hit such a situation (runway's too short) by chance, the following may help to take off:

Taxi off to the very start of the runway (if not there yet).

Apply wheelbrakes.

Apply full thrust and wait a moment until your engines reach their max RPM and start overpowering the brakes (plane starts slowly moving forward).

Then release the brakes.

Hey, erm thanks, but the problem I have is that the props won't start, even at WEP. It could be that I don't have the breaks on, but yes, thanks.

You'll need to bind two keys (or find them out): one to toggle manual engine control (may not be strictly required but surely is handy to have when you need it), and another one to actually start the engine. Breaks shoudn't matter, but it's probably (not exactly sure myself) to start up at 0 throttle and only then rev up.

Edited by VF_Unrecognized
medal medal

The default for starting Engine is "i" (if using PC or mouse/keyboard) -- at least it was for me a while back, not sure if it's changed. 

Once you've started engine, increase throttle _slowly_.. don't blast it up to 100%/wep.  And you'll need a lot of rudder to counter a lot of torque steer if you're in a single prop (and some twin props).  

Probably best to practice in test flights or single missions :)

medal