Seriously why does it take comically long to elevate your gun sometimes?

Does the world of War Thunder have like 50 times that of earths gravity or something? Even in more modern tanks that have dual plane horizontal and vertical gun drives you still have to awkwardly wait like 10 seconds for you gun to start elevating sometimes...... 

5 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Does the world of War Thunder have like 50 times that of earths gravity or something? Even in more modern tanks that have dual plane horizontal and vertical gun drives you still have to awkwardly wait like 10 seconds for you gun to start elevating sometimes...... 

You are expecting this to be some main focus point of development. Well think about it, you are lifting a gun away from the center of mass against gravity.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, WolfFang2003 said:

You are expecting this to be some main focus point of development. Well think about it, you are lifting a gun away from the center of mass against gravity.

1. It would be incredibly easy to fix 

2. Later tanks have power elevation drives as well

3. manual elevation isn't hard speaking from experience, manual traverse is what's actually hard. 

4 hours ago, WolfFang2003 said:

Most guns are balanced at trunnion since WWI.

This means the whole moving part (barrel + breech) will level itself horizontally when the elevation mechanism is removed. So that it takes about the same power to move it up and down, and can be operated manually when needed.

On some tanks like the Centurion, you can see weights welded to the gun barrel so that it balances with the breech. An unbalanced gun that constantly puts weight on the elevation mechanism will cause premature wear and damage.

medal medal medal

4 hours ago, blastedryan said:

Because your crew levels are low. A maxed out gunner can traverse the turret horizontally and vertically together while a stock one does horizontal then vertical and everything in between is a modifier of that

It honestly baffels me as to why this is still a thing with modern tanks and we barely hear any of it from the public.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, DramaticPooP said:

It honestly baffels me as to why this is still a thing with modern tanks and we barely hear any of it from the public.

I mean, this is an MMO, crew skills affecting electronically rotated guns isn't any sillier than tanks going into battle without fire extinguishers.

Just one of the "video gamey" aspects of war thunder, I wouldn't get too upset about it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

I mean, this is an MMO, crew skills affecting electronically rotated guns isn't any sillier than tanks going into battle without fire extinguishers.

Just one of the "video gamey" aspects of war thunder, I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Loading skill doesn't affect autoloaders.... 

1 hour ago, AssaultPlazma said:

And what about this possible issue when you have a max crew and Experted a spaded vehicle? More to the point.

Could be just feeling it is too slow because you need that gun to move asap or you are dead.

But I wonder if there is something linked to the way turret rotation can be accelerated by some poor modelling (you can, on some vehicles, get the turret to rotate faster than it should when turning the hull). Only that I find while travelling a few bumps can send my gun really high quite quickly, yet bringing it back down seems to take longer. Could be just perception or missing something, but makes me curious.

I remember there was a bug with certain tanks a while ago where if you were looking through your gun sight while traversing over a hill. You would dip down, the barrel would come up, and then when you leveled off it seemed to be "stuck" for a short time before correcting itself. I got it a LOT in the t-64a at the start of its introductory patch, though I can't recall experiencing it since then. Perhaps it is something similar? Here is an older thread of someone complaining about it. There were others but I couldn't be bothered digging.

10 hours ago, DramaticPooP said:

Well the official explanation from Gaijin is that more experienced crew can move the gun both horizontally and vertically at the same time , while less experienced crew would have to move them one by one. E.G. turn turret at enemy first, and then adjust the elevation.

I am sure 3rd gen MBT use a joystick which eliminates this, but on older tanks you kinda have to set them separately by buttons, even if traverse is powered.

medal medal medal

13 hours ago, Deranger79 said:

And what about this possible issue when you have a max crew and Experted a spaded vehicle? More to the point.

Could be just feeling it is too slow because you need that gun to move asap or you are dead.

But I wonder if there is something linked to the way turret rotation can be accelerated by some poor modelling (you can, on some vehicles, get the turret to rotate faster than it should when turning the hull). Only that I find while travelling a few bumps can send my gun really high quite quickly, yet bringing it back down seems to take longer. Could be just perception or missing something, but makes me curious.

I'm referring to specific instances where you've already traversed your gun on target and due to annoying tendency for it autoaim downwards be forced to elevate. From which there's some awkward delay until your gunner actually decides to start elevating. This makes no sense for modern tanks that have dual power traverse and elevation and even for WWII tanks elevation doesn't take that long/isn't that hard. 

edit: I know for a fact I could manually max elevate AND depress the gun in the amount of time it sometimes take your gun just to get to roughly 90 degrees. 

Edited by AssaultPlazma

21 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

I'm referring to specific instances where you've already traversed your gun on target and due to annoying tendency for it autoaim downwards be forced to elevate. From which there's some awkward delay until your gunner actually decides to start elevating. This makes no sense for modern tanks that have dual power traverse and elevation and even for WWII tanks elevation doesn't take that long/isn't that hard. 

edit: I know for a fact I could manually max elevate AND depress the gun in the amount of time it sometimes take your gun just to get to roughly 90 degrees. 

Do you have that setting turned on where your gun locks while braking? I think it's in the "ground vehicles" section

Edited by watch_your_fire

21 minutes ago, watch_your_fire said:

Do you have that setting turned on where your gun locks while braking? I think it's in the "ground vehicles" section

It is now..... You'd think something like that would be turned on by default.

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2021 at 07:26, AssaultPlazma said:

it should affect loading the autoloader though, if it does however, I don't have any idea, all autoloaders seem to load for ages once they are empty. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, SaekoB said:

it should affect loading the autoloader though, if it does however, I don't have any idea, all autoloaders seem to load for ages once they are empty. 

What do you mean empty? 

1 hour ago, AssaultPlazma said:

What do you mean empty? 

When the autoloader runs out of shells and has to be refilled. As an example, the AMX-13 holds 12 rounds in the autoloader and a additional 12 in the hull. The autoloader has to be refilled after you fire 12 rounds

5 minutes ago, watch_your_fire said:

When the autoloader runs out of shells and has to be refilled. As an example, the AMX-13 holds 12 rounds in the autoloader and a additional 12 in the hull. The autoloader has to be refilled after you fire 12 rounds

They don't auto refill like ready racks? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

They do but the refill is usually quite slow for most of them, loader's weapon loading skill does increase the speed and the difference is noticeable with autoloaders.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Yes they do, that's what I mean. If you fire all your autoloader ammo quickly then you have to do the slow one round at a time reload.

For a lot of tanks this is totally wrong. The AMX-13 I brought up before has 6 round drums that must be loaded from outside the tank, all at once, not one round at a time