Hi, I have just recently start playing light tanks (Crusader Mk. II & Stuart M3 (All French Variants)). 

As you know, light tanks have little armor and flanking is one of the best ways to attack with a light tank, because of the element of surprise.

But, it's really hard to flank for me, I can drive onto a position scouting and when I try to attack, they notice me first and either kill my gun or my engine,

When I could get onto a really really good position, I usually ended messing it up, because either my shot won't penetrate or it'll miss, blowing the element of surprise. 

I have a very bad trigger finger, and it's really hard to react fast enough, aside from that, every single time I tried to flank they will shoot back and overwhelm me with sheer numbers.

Do you have any advice for me playing light tanks, especially methods regarding flanking attacks?

Your help will be very much appreciated!:)

Keep doing what you are doing... Get used to using your ears and turning off the engine to hear nearby enemy.

It just takes practice, knowledge of maps, knowledge of enemies and your own vehicle.

Oh, and the flanking method is really a Realistic Battle thing, in AB you are spotted as are all other players, until you know where to sneak or peak.  In Arcade you lose the ability to be stealthy, well more so than in RB where you don't get markers like this.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

What @Deranger79 said, it all boils down to experience and perhaps a bit of luck.  I've got a few tips to help you out, though.  This comes off as obvious, but juuust in case you're unaware like some players, uh.  Don't fire gun and MG's, the enemy team will hear that.  Seriously, I don't know why anyone does this.  What's less obvious, however, is shooting when you really have to.  At times, you'll just run into someone, and you'll just have to kill them.  When you're done, make sure to relocate.  If the enemy team didn't see your shot, there's still a chance the player you killed will ping you on the map.  Fortunately, you're a light tank, so it should be easier.  If your route has a forest or an entrenched road, use it.  Some flankers try to go through open fields in order to get to their position as quickly as possible.  It could work sometimes, but that's all it is: sometimes.  Most of the time, what's going to happen is you simply get caught.  It might take several more seconds, but at least you're not dead and respawning in a medium tank behind your entire team.

Flanking is not about going to the oddest corner then camp there without doing much help to your team or going miles just to send easy kills to your enemies.

Instead of simply flanking, you should focus on active scouting and decide who to engage:

Eliminate those who have noticed you first, then deal with those who haven't, use your binocular to observe your enemy instead of exposing yourself into direct fire.

Decide which enemy has more threat to your team, if you run into someone you can't penetrate, try to de-track him or try to damage the cannon breech. Thus giving you more chance of surviving an unexpected engagement.

If you have more doubts, feel free to tell.

Edited by Monika_in_action
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you all for helping, the tips you have given me are really useful.

Another thing, I recently begun playing at Urban maps or Urban areas of a map, and it's really not fun to get shot from nowhere when driving across the streets and alleys. 

Do you have a tip for Urban battles?

First, are you playing Arcade or Realistic Battles? I ask because there is a huge difference in how you play light tanks between these two modes.

For Arcade battles, due to how spotting mechanics work, the minute you see an enemy, you are revealed to the enemy as well, thus there is next to no element of surprise in Arcade. If he is not moving while you are trying to get into position, he will always get the first shot off since you have to wait on your gun to stabilize. The best way to engage is to wait until he is busy engaging someone else and not paying attention to you. Or ignore light tanks in arcade tbh.

Realistic battles are a totally different beast and the best place for light tanks to shine. Unlike arcade, there is no auto-spotting, so most players look for targets in 3rd person view by watching for movements and gun fire. This is where you can be extremely stealthy. My preferred strategy is to hide behind a small hill or dense bushes that overlooks vast sections of the map and/or high traffic areas. Peek over in commander view while having most of your tank hidden by terrain or foliage. Use the spotting ability to mark enemy targets and reap in the kill assist rewards. I have gone upwards of 10 assist in one game without firing a single shot or getting shot at. Often times by not moving and firing, even enemy planes will assume I am a dead wreck. Once spotted, your team will start engaging the target, and giving you ample opportunity to get in flanking shots. Remember to fire only when no one is look at your direction. I suggest aim for disabling shots to engine or gun breech, and avoid kills if possible. Majority of my death in M41 was due to revenge bombing whom know my exact position from kill cam.

Good luck tanker.

medal

7 hours ago, FlyingTankers said:

Do you have a tip for Urban battles?

Dont do them :)

Honestly...if you dont like to fight in confined areas, do what i do...stay out of them. In many maps you can go AROUND the cities and fire into the streets, or attack enemies that are going into the streets (or also staying out of them).

For instance...in Tunisia i NEVER go into the town...i do go to the hills next to it and try to hit enemies that are inside or moving around...same for Alaska. Poland, etc...

Some maps are FULL city...so here you cant control it...but you can stick to the larger streets...or even better...identify a spot where you have a good field of view and some cover...and fight from there...

If you DO get close in tight streets, make sure you have a tank for it (manouverable and quick turret and reload) and try to keep your rear and sides protected by walls or friendlies...

Edited by [email protected]