2.3 BR Soviet TD's: ZiS-30 vs. SU-122 vs. SU-57

Hey hey!

Been playing Tank AB and fiddling around with some of the TD's at my rank.  As a general rule I keep 2 tanks, 1 AA and then a wildcard Tank Destroyer/SPG or Armored Car crewed up and ready in my hangar so I'm fairly well prepped for whatever map is thrown at me.

The SU-122 has a bit of armor and a big potato lobber of a gun, but the reload uses a calendar rather than a timer it feels like sometimes, lol!  The ZiS has an awesome, accurate and quick-firing smoke pole, but it's a quick trip to the hangar if someone sees you and squirts MG's your way.  Haven't played the SU-57 yet other than a test drive, but I had some good fights with the US halftrack TD...

What are your opinions on these?  Level 24 expert crew...

Thanks!

~War~

I haven't played AB since my old accounts, but I'll tell you about my experience in RB and maaaybe give my perspective of what to expect in AB.

The ZiS-30 has a pretty good gun for its tier and can conceal itself quite well.  Its main problem is, of course, the fact that it has basically no armor to speak of.  Another issue is that during city battles, you may run into a tank in front of you and need to make a quick shot; unfortunately, the ZiS-30's gun is incredibly bouncy and while you might be able to develop a technique for a stabler firing platform, it's still annoying to deal with.  In AB, I would expect it to perform alright.  One of its key advantages, concealment, will obviously not be there.  Keep in mind for the rest of this post that the ZiS-30 is the only one I've had my hands on.  I've never actually tried out the SU-122 and SU-57, so I'll be looking at those from an on-paper perspective and from what others have said about it.

The SU-122 is difficult.  Its firing arc can be hard to get used to, the reload is subpar, and the gun is honestly not that impressive.  HE shells aren't what they used to be, though I suppose that if you are able to aim at the right spots, you should be fine.  That being said, this is AB, so aiming should honestly be a lot easier.

The SU-57 is praised by some and hated by others.  Personally, I don't like it.  Its gun is good, but there is still practically no armor like the previous 57mm, and its mobility is poor.  In AB, I would expect it to perform even worse since the lack of possible concealment makes it more or less a punching bag.

In my opinion, stay away from the SU-57 and choose between the other two depending on the situation.  The ZiS-30 should be used at longer ranges, and the SU-122 is more suitable for close range encounters.  Follow your team with the SU-122 so you aren't caught alone during a reload.  If you want more information about these, you should check out Oxy's list of Russian vehicles at their tier(s).  His videos should help you along the way.  I'm pretty sure HowToPlay1337 has a video on the ZiS-30 as well.

Edit: added info

Edited by False_Swiss
added info

On 10/01/2021 at 18:28, False_Swiss said:

In my opinion, stay away from the SU-57 and choose between the other two depending on the situation.  The ZiS-30 should be used at longer ranges, and the SU-122 is more suitable for close range encounters.

Neither is good at close range....Zis is too frail and SU has a very long reload. Both should be used from some distance...zis you move in, fire quick and hide back again. SU you can expose a bit and aim more carefully BUT take care what the enemy has...some (like Marder) can kill you with one shot...others you can resist a bit better.

I think you can use T50 at about the same BR...this is a more balanced tank (a very good one actually) and you can get closer to the enemy...ASSUMING you are not full uptiered...of course the gun is NOT as good...but good enough on most cases.

On any team, SU is a bit the HEAVY hitter and Zis30 is the "joker"...you can either die quickly or get a few spetacular kills...depends on how good you and the enemy are (or the luck of both).