The Panther counter, Comet/Challenger/Cent. Mk1

20210109222434_1.thumb.jpg.953a94f493db1

It's lovely how Comet/Challenger counter os Panthers nas partidas, like 80% of the time in one shot, the APDS runs over the UFP easily of Panther. While the others in the same BR suffer to pierce the Panther's Turret (if I'm not mistaken a similar BR Russian tank destroyer can also) as the Americans only do in BR 6.3 with the T26E1-1 (apart from the M41A1 that uses APDS) .

The luck of the German Main, is that there are not many Comets and Challengers, if there were ... Who knows what Gaijin would do this time. So I highly recommend using British tanks 5.3 and 5.7 specifically to make anyone using Panther angry.

• Upvote 1

Yeah with the buff to APDS damage, the Comet, Challanger and Centurion Mk 1 are extremely strong.

A few days ago I hoped in the Cent MK 1 and got 7 kills. Then I used the Comet on this small winter map, killed 3 Tigers and got killed by a fourth who took like 4 shots to kill me because the turret bounced all his rounds :D

• Haha 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Of note, the Panther gun handling (bounce) is much better than the Comet and Challenger. A good "tactic" I've noticed with both the Panther D and Comet/Challenger is to go into reverse for stability. Due to slow reverse you get a much more stable aim and aren't a total sitting duck (depending on the situation).

The Comet and Challenger are easy pens to lower BR vehicles, the Panther can't be touched so easily against these same vehicles (frontal).

Both groups (UK and DE mediums at 5.3 range) have decent speed, poor reverse. They basically have similar or counter strengths and weaknesses. I'd say pretty damn well balanced to each other.

One thing of note, you might get some great frontal OHK, even at range, but the 17pdr can be inaccurate enough to negate the pen advantage. This means you are at the mercy of the RNG monster, because a slight deviation to the shot in a UFP or turret shot to a Panther means an absorbed shot and an 88 return projectile.

From the Panthers view, at times the Comet and Challenger armour can be trolly if edges are hit.

Sounds like balance in action! I love the UK lineups of 4.7, 5.3, 5.7 (too many seem to think the 5.3s can't handle 5.7 MMs, even though they have same/similar gun and are very quick compared to the Cent). The main let down is abysmal teams, and restricted 4.3 and 4.7 lineups from allies nations (poor options for US and RU, depending on the groupings and what players actually have).

(On a side note, most users of 4.7 and 5.3 UK haven't a clue from what I've seen. I even argue the strengths of these in this UK section but they don't believe me!?)

Edited by Deranger79
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

They're very strong but I still think it's a meager lineup against Germany who have a 5.3 Medium, Heavy and 2 TDs, would be nice to have tech tree Comet Type B or have Avenger (which is already post war really) given APDS and moved to 5.3 and I can think of a few vehicles to fill the gap it would leave at 4.7. 

medal

17 hours ago, TwitchyCarlos said:

They're very strong but I still think it's a meager lineup against Germany who have a 5.3 Medium, Heavy and 2 TDs, would be nice to have tech tree Comet Type B or have Avenger (which is already post war really) given APDS and moved to 5.3 and I can think of a few vehicles to fill the gap it would leave at 4.7. 

I think that is the only real main issue.  At this point, in regards to versatility, UK are limited to mediums.  There are no real TDs (The Challenger and Comet are very similar to the Avenger in playstyle/abilities), the Churchills are limited heavies that won't do well by 5.3, there still is no scout/light vehicle (the Crusader III fits this role unless you own the AEC II, which is a beast really), and of course the AA is a slow firing 40mm cannon that is damn hard to use outside of direct attacks.

So for me, what it lacks in this diversity of vehicle types if makes up for in the versatility of the mediums we do get (and this gets stretched since the Centurion mk1 is the next step, then the Charioteer at 6.3 which is also a really nice vehicle if it weren't for no other lineup choices).

One thing you might note though: Repair cost oddities.

The ACIV is quite high in comparison even though the least capable UK medium tank at 5.3 (does not fire APDS, and slower).
The Iron Duke has a higher repair cost than the tech tree variant... it's the same darn tank!  And therefore the use as a Premium for SL/RP modifiers seems pretty silly when the repair cost negates this advantage to some degree (There are many Premiums out there with lower or relatively lower costs).

Never quite understood these two items regarding repair cost.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Now if they could bring the Black Prince back down to 5.7 my lineup would be complete

medal medal