MiG 21 PFM: Should I keep it?

HI, I know a lot of players here are pretty experienced, so please advise my whether I should keep or sell the MiG.

Pros

-Planning on play Russian ground, so will need suitable CAS option

-I don't play Russian air, and the Kh66 seems pretty nice

-I have experience with american toptier tanks and british toptier jets (banana jet is my highest BR one)

-Looks really cool, really amazing historical backdrop as well

Cons

-Probably hell to get to the Kh66s

-10k repair cost (is it likely to increase idf?)

-200 ammo count is gonna be... hard

-I have no idea how to dodge top tier missiles like the Aim-9J

-Probably low market price anyways (high supply, low demand, price may be driven up by historical value/significance but high supply counteracts that)

Thank you!

As a fighter, the PFM is debatably uncompetitive in current top tier, lacking the thrust, energy retention and air to air weaponry to do well. Seeing as how you've never played Soviet aircraft, you'll undoubtedly be stomped on by any competent player/player with high tier missiles. The trigger patience and accuracy required to use the guns would probably be infuriating for you, and it'll take you a while to get used to the R-3S air to air missile, which is one of the overall worst in the game. Even for most people with a lot of air experience, the PFM is a pain to fly in the current meta. Plus, the MiG-21 was designed front and foremost as a fighter, not a ground attacker or multirole fighter, so although the PFM has some air to ground ordinance, it's not a competitive ground attacker. 

The MiG-21PFM is a nice looking plane though. Even if it isn't really useful in matches, it is still a top tier jet. Maybe you could have fun with it in custom battles, if you don't want to use it in any matches. I personally wouldn't sell it since I like collecting things, and maybe in a few years it'll be really expensive on the market, but you do you.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, _81885n said:

HI, I know a lot of players here are pretty experienced, so please advise my whether I should keep or sell the MiG.

Pros

-I have experience with american toptier tanks and british toptier jets (banana jet is my highest BR one)

Cons

-Probably low market price anyways (high supply, low demand, price may be driven up by historical value/significance but high supply counteracts that)

Thank you!

Its a great top tier CAS Mig 21, that you obtained for free. Its great to compliment the top tier lineup especially for players who skipped the grind and have a premium top tier  lineup. Every Air Rb only player hates it cause it does not get THE air to air missile they like and therefore they think its ****. You wont be using it for air RB tho!

On the market the GJN junkies will undercut everyone, no matter the vehicle, so i would say if you cant sell it at or above 45GJN, than dont sell it. You are getting robbed under 45. And if you need a top tier CAS, keep it. it has good armament.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi, Spit_flyer made a video about it I dont have it but personally i would keep the coupon and wait if something changes with it in the future(Marketprice/Performance), because it seems to be not a very nice experience to fly right now. Hope that helps

• Upvote 1

Thank you all for your responses!

I suppose my only experience with something similar to it is the hunter f1, also with 200 shots (400/2 canonns) that I really really like, so I suppose 200 bullets isn't that bad come to think of it, if they are the same type of 1-shot-crit bullets.

I have 2 additional questions, please help me:

1) Is the MiG 21 playstyle Boom and Zoom or as a turn-fighter?

2) Does the MiG rip easily when turning, generally?

22 minutes ago, _81885n said:

Thank you all for your responses!

I suppose my only experience with something similar to it is the hunter f1, also with 200 shots (400/2 canonns) that I really really like, so I suppose 200 bullets isn't that bad come to think of it, if they are the same type of 1-shot-crit bullets.

I have 2 additional questions, please help me:

1) Is the MiG 21 playstyle Boom and Zoom or as a turn-fighter?

2) Does the MiG rip easily when turning, generally?

It can do both to an extent. BNZ at top tier is somewhat more difficult because everyone is traveling at >1000kmh. In the MiG 21, you can pull 1 or two high AOA turns before losing much of your speed and you'll be left in a significantly less energy state than your opponent. However the 21 airframe does have fairly decent low speed maneuverability, but I still wouldn't engage in a prolonged turn fight with an F-4. Even if you win you'll be slow. The second you get slow in jets someone will swoop in for an easy kill.

Edited by _Heisen_berg_

• 2 weeks later...

RN the PFM is garbage 0 competitiveness unless you're fighting a Q5 or a mig 19s lol those are debatably worse planes but yes, you wasted your time getting the PFM there's no way you can use it effectively. Now that germany has that stupid wheeled SAAM thing there's no use for it at 10.0 either. just hide it away and never spend money on this game. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

25 minutes ago, GomesPT said:

If it drops to 9.7 it can be competitive, especially if it doesn't go uptier

not really because then its still out classed by the A7 and lightning, pretty much anything that has missiles better than the AIM9Bs 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Keep it without activating the coupon, after one year come back, if its price is above 45-50 gjn you could sell it and get nice top tier premium on a sale, if not I'm sure it will get fixed till then / meta gonna change soon or later /.

medal medal medal medal

On 07/01/2021 at 04:13, _81885n said:

Pros

Cons

Thank you!

For a CAS option it would be ok, air to air it’s trash, when it gets moved to 9.7, it will be a better option than the mig 21 f13 for air to air because it has some ammo while the f13 has none, so keeping it might be a good idea, it’s cost on the gajian market might not go to high due to it being pure  trash in air rb for a while

medal

20 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

For a CAS option it would be ok, air to air it’s trash, when it gets moved to 9.7, it will be a better option than the mig 21 f13 for air to air because it has some ammo while the f13 has none, so keeping it might be a good idea, it’s cost on the gajian market might not go to high due to it being pure  trash in air rb for a while

The Mig-21 F13 actually has more firing time, it will expend its ammunition in 3.59 seconds, while the PFM will expend it's ammunition in 3.53 seconds.

On 07/01/2021 at 06:07, _81885n said:

These are not those types of bullets, they are quite inconsistent and need a few hits to down an aircraft.

• Upvote 1
medal

"very competitive" lol no, its slightly worse MiG21 F-13 with even worse gun ... its gonna become "usable", but considering the MiG19 is also coming down to 9.7 THAT will be the choice for that BR

medal medal

17 minutes ago, doflite said:

it's going down to 9.7, so I would keep it because it will become very competitive

"Very competitive" = as much competitive as Mig-21F-13 which currently on average in AirRB has:

Air frags per battle = 0,85

Air frags per death = 0,94

https://thunderskill.com/en/vehicle/mig-21_f13

For most players the Mig-21PFM at 9.7 will still be same hard to play and not very profitable as SL/RP grinder.

But at least as 9.7 will be competitive for those, who are ready to spend focus and time to make it work by playing disciplined way.

At 10.0 Mig-21PFM is close to useless regardles who and how play it: https://thunderskill.com/en/vehicle/mig-21_pfm

medal medal medal medal medal