Returning player, got some questions

I used to play when GB was in beta, now I'm back and interested in all vehicle types, really. But I need some advice on vehicle/playstyle selection.

- Don't take this the wrong way, but what are some of the vehicles with the most passive playstyle? I don't mean AFK, but rather least dependent on immediate player input, especially in regards to aiming and high-speed turns in GB. I'm on a very high-latency connection and trying to make the best of it. Passive scouting, use of support consumables, deploying torpedo walls, things like that seem the most appealing for that reason.

- Those guided missiles, do any of them have automatic guidance so that pinpoint aiming is not necessary?

- About torp reload times, do they depend on the number of tubes? If so, is it always proportional?

In ground battles I would choose something with good armor for specific BR, that gives You much more time to aim and shoot, even when being under fire. OR You can try sniper way using some Tank Destroyers - they also do not depend as much on armor and mobility. But there will be some maps where TD are not so good - like city maps where buildings are packed and there are tons of way to flank enemies.

Guided missiles. There are some kind of "fire and forget" missiles on planes and heli, but almost all mounted on tanks are manually guided, where You ned to keep target in crosshairs up to impact. Some rockets hve proximity fuse and will detonate if target is close enough, others need direct hit to trigger explosion.

Torpedo reload times depend mostly on crew training. Then it depends on number of crew left on ship (causalities) and on torpedo tube status: wounded crew works slower and damaged tube is harder to reload/repair. I've never keep an eye for how long it takes to reload in comparisson between ships in terms if tht is constant formula dependant on tubes numbers or not.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SzymonKurzacz said:

There are some kind of "fire and forget" missiles on planes and heli

There is only one weaponsystem (A2G) that is "fire and forget" its the Pars 3 on the German Tiger Chopper (except A2A Radar or Heatseeking ones). Everything else need line of sight of the launching platform at some point (or all the time).

Edited by Noir89
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 17:23, Movezig said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but what are some of the vehicles with the most passive playstyle?

Tank destroyers with thick frontal armor, like Jagdtiger, T28 and T95 (GB tortoise is not recommended for the armor is not that reliable). High-rank SPAA with missiles should be played in passive ways for they have limited measures to fight against enemy tanks.

Instead of vehicles played in passive style, I would recommend you to get know of the map which allow you to snip and camp (not spawn camping! ) at certain spots.

On 03/01/2021 at 17:23, Movezig said:

Those guided missiles, do any of them have automatic guidance so that pinpoint aiming is not necessary

SPAA with SAM: Type 93 CRSAM (Japanese 9.7)and SIDAM with Mistral (Italian 10.0). However, those auto guidance missiles are not as effective as those manually guided ones (like ADATS and 2S6), for they come with smaller warhead and weaker capacity of tracking enemy aircraft. In a nut shell, not recommended, although Type 93 is a fun vehicle to use when doing scouting and repairing works.

ATGM vehicle: Khrizantema-S (Soviet 9.3), the missile can be guided by radar meaning you lock a target with your Ground radar, then fire your missile and wait for the hit. However, it's inefficient in combat for you are a poor-armored vehicle with hull break and your missiles would be caught by any obstacles, even bushes would stop your missiles from hitting your targets.

Helicopters: EC-665 Tiger UHT (German 10.7) with its PARS3 missiles. You lock literally anything and fire your PARS3, in most cases it would be destroyed with one shot.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

All nations can be played slowly if that’s the play style you’re unfortunately forced to adopt due to your connection, however playing British tanks will force you into that style of play whilst also rewarding you for it heavily with some vehicles. 

The difficulty with slow play is that War Thunder maps are all quite small, and many do not have terrain in which you can hide behind as many are city maps. You could try your hand at simulator battles which is typically a lot slower than AB and RB, but you’ve got to be good at identifying tanks without markers.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal