Despite the New Engine, the Game Looks Horrible

On 09/01/2021 at 23:59, [email protected] said:

And that is the point I've been trying to make here, as long as Gaijin supports the last generation consoles you can't expect them to make leaps and bounds with the graphical fidelity of the game.

All versions of the game work in tandem, they can cross play with each other and must as such display the same things.

They can't implement new graphical features that impacts gameplay and only have it display on one version of the game, that would give one version an advantage over the other.

Take the new clouds for example.

1812817053_cloudsoldvsnew.thumb.jpg.6bc3

Imagine if they were exclusive to the PC and next gen- but the PS4 and Xbox one still rendered the old clouds.

Then the PS4/XONE players would see the top scene and PC players would see the bottom.

PC players would have the nicer graphics, but they would be at a disadvantage by not seeing as clearly.

Where PC players would have clouds blocking their visibility; the console players might have nothing at all, giving them clear line of sight.

PC players hiding in clouds thinking they are invisible to other players would be fully visible to console players since their version doesn't render the same fidelity of clouds.

That is the reason why they can't implement new things without making sure they work on the last generation - if it doesn't, then the feature is dropped.

Hmm a bit like how PC players can opt to run ULQ cheat mode and console players cannot..... but obviously the other way round is okay.

• Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 29/12/2020 at 00:55, qpranger said:

I play on high settings and see no difference whatsoever between old clouds and new clouds.

On the other hand, the stone/rock textures are still 1997.

Here is a post New power update and pre new power update pic, both pictures were taken on high settings there is a major difference in the could model as you can see

63E9EAFD-91AB-4068-996C-EA8B53E78A17.png

66A89E6C-5EB3-41DE-A705-B1A1D935C621.png

medal

On 09/01/2021 at 17:08, RearAdmiralCake said:

986005530_shot2021_01_0919_59_11.thumb.j 1759544019_shot2021_01_0919_59_04.thumb. 1855107673_shot2021_01_0919_59_00.thumb. 275712446_shot2021_01_0919_58_56.thumb.j 1172403807_shot2021_01_0919_58_45.thumb. 833702949_shot2021_01_0919_58_39.thumb.j

2.0 here

I have a question for you, what do you play war thunder on, I and others I know experience some of the issues like the camos becoming low poly models, but not the model of all tanks being degraded that much, do you have war thunder on a hard drive? The low speed of a hard drive might be worsing a game issue and making it more apparent (the models being low quality)

medal

On 15/01/2021 at 10:46, MathMilitary said:

Bad optimisation, this graphic engine is bad. The dev need use a new recent engine

The graphics engine is not at fault I believe it’s most likely the game, enlisted ruins on this engine much better than war thunder, this might be do to enlisted devs possibly taking time to optimize the game. War thunder for just one patch needs to add like maybe 2 new vechiel to keep people happy and take a lot of time to optimize the game and fix major issues ex low Polly skins and the radar of the zsu 57, make the amations of other players ships guns more smooth, fix the glitch were other ships guns will not be pointing were there are pointing on one players screen and other issues.

medal

On 09/01/2021 at 23:59, False_Swiss said:

I wonder how many players still have hardware insufficient for a hypothetical graphical update.  New Power was somewhat of a detriment to some players already, just adding to the count of players who would be unable to run War Thunder with reasonable performance if this terrain update happens.  I can only speculate.

Idk ... if you can't run a game like war thunder properly even on low settings, then probably your hardware is too weak for 2021. And i don't mean weak like "oh you just have a gtx 960".

I mean weak like "you are running your pc on potato power".

Why should a game in 2021 have such bad textures on ground, houses, objects, etc)?

Even worse when you fly low to ground and have that small magic circle where additional textures appear on trees and grass. It looks terrible.

• Upvote 2

Eh Oddbawz, the youtuber, have recorded some games with lagspikes and weird bugs and he owns a RTX 3090, the game needs some tweaking.

I have been getting a lot of global shadows or shadows in bugs since the update and a lot of lagspikes with helis missiles.

Edited by xXGaijinedXx
  • Upvote 1

For me the biggest issue is with textures not loading properly. Seems like sometimes bump layer doesn't load up so all tank turret surfaces look very flat. Its mostly visible in hangar.

medal medal medal medal medal

On 15/01/2021 at 13:13, [email protected] said:

Some times this game is an absolute eyesore, what is this even supposed to be?

Looks like someone went around and rubbed everything down with vaselin.

vaselin.jpg

@[email protected]

It's supposed to be raining.

This is the raining weather preset, but the rain is missing since Update 2.1.

It has been bug reported but oh well

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 17/01/2021 at 14:16, xXGaijinedXx said:

Eh Oddbawz, the youtuber, have recorded some games with lagspikes and weird bugs and he owns a RTX 3090, the game needs some tweaking.

I have a GTX Nvidea 960 and I run off 93 fps on high graphics without lag spikes and all that. Before the New Power update I got 60 fps on medium AND lag spikes. After New power I not only can run on higher graphics settings but I can do it with out the annoying freezes. So I don't think it is the game. Sounds like packet loss or something to me.

Thanks!

Edited by Bellator138
  • Confused 1

On 17/01/2021 at 12:19, [email protected] said:

I have a question for you, what do you play war thunder on, I and others I know experience some of the issues like the camos becoming low poly models, but not the model of all tanks being degraded that much, do you have war thunder on a hard drive? The low speed of a hard drive might be worsing a game issue and making it more apparent (the models being low quality)

No, I have the game installed on an SSD. RX 5700XT and Ryzen 7 3700x, 16bg DDR4 3000.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, RearAdmiralCake said:

No, I have the game installed on an SSD. RX 5700XT and Ryzen 7 3700x, 16bg DDR4 3000.

Probably then the garage overall optimization and maybe some issues that are staying around from the a patch with amd gpus, whatever war thunder did in a update from a while ago  that caused  issues with amd gpus might (probably not) still be around then. probably though  I’ve just not noticed these issues and have just been blind to them

Edited by [email protected]
medal

18 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Probably then the garage overall optimization and maybe some issues that are staying around from the a patch with amd gpus, whatever war thunder did in a update from a while ago  that caused  issues with amd gpus might (probably not) still be around then. probably though  I’ve just not noticed these issues and have just been blind to them

Nothing to do with my hardware. People on RTX 30 Series and older Nvidia cards are seeing the exact issue. It's purely Gaijin screwing something up.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RearAdmiralCake said:

Nothing to do with my hardware. People on RTX 30 Series and older Nvidia cards are seeing the exact issue. It's purely Gaijin screwing something up.

Yeah I resenltly took a closer look at the models and it’s friked up, I didn’t notice it before somehow and I have no idea I can miss the fact the parts of some models look like garbage 

And I’ve noticed that it’s more obvious on russian tanks it seems that others

Edited by [email protected]
medal

On 29/12/2020 at 15:20, RearAdmiralCake said:

Since New Power was released. there have been several graphical issues that have plagued the game. Thankfully, they are becoming more known. To start, when New Power came out, impacts of shells had no sound, no sparks, or hit detection. That was fixed, but there still more that have yet to dealt be with.

The biggest one, which is driving me and a lot of other players insane, is textures refusing to load. This includes on tanks, aircraft, especially their cockpits, and the new explosion effects that were promised. The biggest update of the year - and in recent War Thunder history - promises new, and better graphics. But, we're given broken textures, horrible dynamic shadows, FPS drops for a lot of players, crashes, and more that plague the new engine. I'm extremely passionate for the game, and I will always play and spend money on it. But these need to be sorted out.

Do not get me wrong, Dagor 6.0 brought a lot graphical improvements. However, it broke a lot as well. How can we admire new clouds and effects, if our vehicles look like they are from 2005? Why do the new explosions render as giant blocky pixels? Why do shadows cast on tanks from illumination flares make our tanks look like they're floating?

I'm posting this just to get some dedicated discussion on this. I attached some example screenshots, too.

Thank you!

Reveal hidden contents

This game will always be comic-style no matter their improvements because u are forced to play with bad settings because others do on purpose. it sad

My experience so far is not that great. While im not extent close to the bleeding edge when it comes to my GPU (GTX 1080Ti) i have been able to run my graphics setting on near max for the last year or so with my fps running at around 100. After the new graphics patch i get fps drops quite often to the extent that when I'm in a tank and a bomb goes off nearby with those really blocky explosions my fps goes into single figures.

My problem is that i cant just turn off the new features and carry on playing as before. Instead, I have to turn off some of the old features to make the game playable, making my overall gaming experience worse.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 17/01/2021 at 12:26, [email protected] said:

The graphics engine is not at fault I believe it’s most likely the game, enlisted ruins on this engine much better than war thunder, this might be do to enlisted devs possibly taking time to optimize the game. War thunder for just one patch needs to add like maybe 2 new vechiel to keep people happy and take a lot of time to optimize the game and fix major issues ex low Polly skins and the radar of the zsu 57, make the amations of other players ships guns more smooth, fix the glitch were other ships guns will not be pointing were there are pointing on one players screen and other issues.

It is the game @[email protected]. I am on the series x and I am crashing now and the graphics will either look good or be trash. I had to hard reset my series x because of the glitches in the game after the new power update ruined everything.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree wholeheartedly. I play on 4K with consistent 80 or so FPS and the game looks beautiful. My system handles it well. But then low res textures happen every single game session at some point and cockpits randomly are either normal or low res and sometimes it's even worse with the extremely low res bug (completely smooth texture, no detail whatsoever) or in the worst case a glitch that makes part of a plane invisible. These things happen frequently (low res literally every time I play after a few matches and smooth texture glitch probably once every three gaming sessions) and are really immersion breaking. Seeing the low res textures just takes the enjoyment out of the game. Seeing the beautiful clouds and then the terrible textures on my plane is jarring and makes me want to shut down the game sooner than I otherwise would. I hope Gaijin takes this seriously, because it's a bigger problem than it looks imo.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

My main problem are the new effects(explosions, rockets, splashes, etc). They look very rough and pixelated even at close range. They didn't look like that before New Power. It really makes the game look bad. 

I've been looking around for screenshots and videos, and some people seem to have the same issues while others do not. Does anyone know how to fix this? Which graphics setting do I need to tweak?

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal