Despite the New Engine, the Game Looks Horrible

Trolling aside, I have noticed a potential bug while flying by KA-50. When using the main cannon, sometimes the hits stop registering on tanks for some reason. I  can see the sparks flying up from when I was hitting the tank, then suddenly it stops even though my rounds are clearly passing directly into the tank, then a couple seconds later the rounds start registering hits again. I never noticed it before the patch. 

medal medal

16 hours ago, Measured said:

When I fly german 109 f-4 i often get the US camo (and I don't even have it).  I've also flown against US 109 F4's and they have German camo.  (when I get close enough to see it).

... :/

The same thing happens with the German and the Chinese F-104G...

medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 30/12/2020 at 08:06, Dodo_Dud said:

Many vehicles show the wrong skin. When I fly the US 109 F-4, I see a german camo.

I get this in the OF-40 Mk2A. It will show the default tan/brown in the hangar, but I get a standard italian gray green in a match which is a camo it doesn't have.  The Leo1A5 Italian loads a german green skin sometimes. This never happened before the new engine.

As for the more general graphics topic, Dagor 6.0 has reduced graphics quality for me by forcing me into ULQ to avoid the crashes that come when I run it on High like I did in 5.0. It was really bad with invisible walls and rocks, but a recent update corrected a lot of that so ULQ plays better now.

medal medal medal

Guys that's NOT the fault of the game engine!

The hangar looks beautiful because it was made in 2020 and you can SEE that.

The actualy gameplay looks really bad sometimes because a big percentage of the maps are many years old.

Many vehicles too,Leo 1 for example looks horribly outdated.

One is literally from 2010, copy pasted from Wings of Prey.

image.thumb.png.f8ce85df61cc65061a0f5e58

See what I mean?

The ENTIRE Focke Wulf line including the Ta 152 H are copied from Wings of Prey, the skins, the model and even the sounds (before the rework).

That brought all the inacurracies with it.

Namely:

Wrong nose shape

Too thin propeller hub

Wrong propeller

Low quality cockpit textures

Way too long gear

Wrong air intake

This is Fw 190 D-13 Werknummer 836017, restaurated with the historical paint scheme.

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-13 "Yellow 10" by Floyd Werner

And this is Fw 190 D-13 Werknummer 836017 in game:

image.thumb.png.00a2073973cfadf3c96e75c9

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

19 hours ago, MathMilitary said:

This game a need a new graphic engine. The dagor is very bad. Global illumination is very bad. The optimisation is bad for 2020 graphic engine. 

Please, use Unreal Engine. 

That's a very ignorant and unappreciative comment.

Are you expecting them to throw away 17 years of experience with a custom game engine because you feel the graphics are subpar?

You think game engines come with a "port game over from other game engine" button?

I don't think you appreciate the amount of work they'd have to put in to port all the assets and code over to the a new engine, especially considering that the Dagor engine is developed in house and might not share the same standards or coding languages as other engines.

Incompatible assets would most likely have to be scrapped and started over on.

The whole process would be extremely costly and time consuming.

Then there is the question of developer experience. They are no doubt highly experienced with the Dagor engine: knowing every in and out, it's strengths and limits.

But when it comes to Unreal they might have low experience, so making a switch would most definitively stagnate the current development of the game for some time to come as they focus on trying to get to grips with new tools and techniques..No point in making new content, rigging, making textures, animating, recording sound, polishing it and making it ready for Dagor - only to have to turn it all around and port it over to another engine when its done.

Changing a game engine this late in development can and has sunk games and companies in the past - the recent "Overkill's The Walking Dead" comes to mind.

Another thing to consider is the fact that the game is currently available on five platforms (seven if you count the last gen mid generation console upgrades elite and pro), both last and current gen- switching engine now could spell catastrophe in terms of comparability and optimisation.

Also, how are you so certain that changing to Unreal would be suitable or even beneficial to this sort of game and scope? 

Now, I'm sure some indie developer that codes in his spare time will come along and claim that he successfully ported his pixel art side scroller over from unity to unreal with minimum frustrion, but let me remind you; War thunder is not a pixel art side scroller developed by one person, it's a massive online grinding and economical depression simulator developed by hundreds of Gopnik's empowered by hard bass - so please, show some respect.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I run the game at 4K 60fps with settings slightly under movie, Since New Power dropped I have had the following.

• Skin Swapping - Leo 2A4, G-91 R4 ( both ), M4 Shermans
  • Insane amounts of Pop-In
  • Lack of rendering of anything over 500m
  • Low Res Textures
  • Really blocky "borderlands" esque orange flames on a plane and tank
  • Gen 2 Thermals looking like a 240p youtube video

I feel I am playing essentially ULQ but with movie for anything within 500m of me.. however it hard to know what is a bug and what is intentional.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Wiggles289 said:

Skin Swapping - Leo 2A4, G-91 R4 ( both ), M4 Shermans

Happens with all copy paste vehicles.

Leo 1A5 for example too

13 minutes ago, Wiggles289 said:

Gen 2 Thermals looking like a 240p youtube video

Noticed a drop in quality there too yea

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The broken textures are the biggest issue for me. Imagine flying against invisible planes because the textures don't load. I didn't know those Germans had invented invisibility cloaks in WW2! I learn something new everyday with this game.

medal

15 hours ago, ACSchnitzel said:

The broken textures are the biggest issue for me. Imagine flying against invisible planes because the textures don't load. I didn't know those Germans had invented invisibility cloaks in WW2! I learn something new everyday with this game.

It's a bit more then that, damaged textures don't load... the guy is fine first you straffe him and pouff you fight a frame ;)

As usual we are in between game developement and game fix ... devs having to dev they rely on bug reports and not on first hand gaming experience (a question of programming time vs playing time).

Second hand issue: putting 1500 vehicles developed during eight years on the same page + camos.... more time with only pride on the line.

+ maps + effects + + + + + + +

The scale of it all is just massive! Which is also a massive investment ... investment giving better returns through adding new vehicles. Which makes an armement race which bring more bugs .

It's an infinite head tail head tail snake...

If we only consider issues, we would just deny the complete picture of how a game is structured in every of his aspects.

Edited by berlinXpress
  • Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Now I know why sometimes my vehicle looks made out of play doh! Lack of textures loading in makes sense.

Still getting the issue where Nation skins are mixing up between vehicles. Not that it makes much difference outside of Sim (which I don't play).

My 4k on old rig setup does look a lot better in 6.0 Dagor, I noticed immediately.

Don't know, but after some serious lag, rubber banding and low frame rates the environment starts to appear like a kids drawing, including black crayon swirls instead of smoke columns.

But like I said, I'm on console, what do I know?

medal medal medal

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/504346-cockpit-textures-extremely-low-resolution/&tab=comments#comment-8741770 I submitted a bug report over a month ago. On the 26th of December, the issue of textures not properly loading has been acknowledged by the team. So hopefully, it will be fixed soon (it is agitating). 

• Like 1
medal medal

On 31/12/2020 at 20:33, [email protected] said:

C’est un commentaire très ignorant et peu reconnaissant.

Vous attendez-vous à ce qu’ils jettent 17 ans d’expérience avec un moteur de jeu personnalisé parce que vous sentez que les graphismes sont subpar?

Vous pensez que les moteurs de jeu viennent avec un « jeu de port plus de l’autre moteur de jeu » bouton?

Je ne pense pas que vous appréciez la quantité de travail qu’ils auraient à mettre dans le port de tous les actifs et le code sur le nouveau moteur, d’autant plus que le moteur Dagor est développé en interne et pourrait ne pas partager les mêmes normes ou les langages de codage que les autres moteurs.

Les actifs incompatibles devraient très probablement être mis au rebut et recommencer.

L’ensemble du processus serait extrêmement coûteux et prendrait beaucoup de temps.

Ensuite, il ya la question de l’expérience développeur. Ils sont sans doute très expérimentés avec le moteur Dagor: connaître chaque va-et-viennent, ce sont les forces et les limites.

Mais quand il s’agit d’Irréel, ils pourraient avoir peu d’expérience, de sorte que faire un commutateur serait le plus définitivement stagner le développement actuel du jeu pendant un certain temps à venir comme ils se concentrent sur essayer de se familiariser avec de nouveaux outils et techniques.. Inutile de faire de nouveaux contenus, truquage, faire des textures, animer, enregistrer le son, le polir et le rendre prêt pour Dagor - seulement d’avoir à le tourner tout autour et le port sur un autre moteur lorsque son fait.

Changer un moteur de jeu aussi tard dans le développement peut et a coulé des jeux et des entreprises dans le passé - le récent « Overkill’s The Walking Dead » vient à l’esprit.

Une autre chose à considérer est le fait que le jeu est actuellement disponible sur cinq plates-formes (sept si vous comptez la dernière génération de mise à niveau de la console de mi-génération élite et pro), à la fois dernier et actuel gen-commutation moteur maintenant pourrait envoûter catastrophe en termes de comparabilité et d’optimisation.

Aussi, comment êtes-vous si certain que le changement à Unreal serait approprié ou même bénéfique à ce genre de jeu et de portée?

Maintenant, je suis sûr qu’un développeur indie que les codes dans son temps libre viendra le long et prétendre qu’il a porté avec succès son rouleau de côté pixel art plus de l’unité à irréel avec frustrion minimum, mais permettez-moi de vous rappeler; War thunder n’est pas un défilement côté pixel art développé par une seule personne, c’est un énorme simulateur de broyage en ligne et de dépression économique développé par des centaines de Gopnik habilité par la basse dure - alors s’il vous plaît, montrer un peu de respect.

I don't care how long it will take or how hard it is to change the engine. The point is that the dagor engine is technically lagging behind with an intolerable amount of bug. Instead of spending time doing bad things, they should work hard on improving the engine. Instead of adding such bad effects as GI just worse than reshade injector. Seriously, I appreciate the work of the developers, but they go in the wrong direction and always provide us with more useless stuff but keep an old engine which will cost more to upgrade than to change directly to an unreal engine. In addition, the Unreal engine can easily transpose the game to consoles, so this is not a valid argument dear friend.

medal medal

5 hours ago, MathMilitary said:

I don't care how long it will take or how hard it is to change the engine. The point is that the dagor engine is technically lagging behind with an intolerable amount of bug. Instead of spending time doing bad things, they should work hard on improving the engine. Instead of adding such bad effects as GI just worse than reshade injector. Seriously, I appreciate the work of the developers, but they go in the wrong direction and always provide us with more useless stuff but keep an old engine which will cost more to upgrade than to change directly to an unreal engine. In addition, the Unreal engine can easily transpose the game to consoles, so this is not a valid argument dear friend.

I agree with that they need to put more work into fixing the game and rid it of bugs instead of constantly cramming in more content - I've been playing since 2014 and it feels buggier than ever.

But changing the engine is not a viable option or fix, that would just induce more bugs and/or possibly sink the whole game and company.

6 hours ago, droppopWT said:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/504346-cockpit-textures-extremely-low-resolution/&tab=comments#comment-8741770 I submitted a bug report over a month ago. On the 26th of December, the issue of textures not properly loading has been acknowledged by the team. So hopefully, it will be fixed soon (it is agitating). 

Even before the 26. I had submitted one on explosion effects looking terrible. That was passed earlier, along with another report on textures not loading that I helped with. It's been a good while since this bug has been properly documented - which is why it is so frustrating why it's still here.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Why doesn't war thunder have nice graphics like enlisted? Comically it looks like the vehicles look good but the graphics of the terrain and buildings are like from 2005. Why do I stick to such ugly textures. Ulq must be really? the game will die when you delete it ?? of course not, if war thunder looked enlisted it would attract many more players

_Catweazle_63 (Posted )

merged with the already ongoing graphics discussion
  • Upvote 4

Yeah, terrain and buildings could use somewhat of an overhaul.  Keep in mind that Gaijin always seems to have a concern over players who don't have the capability to run anything too good.  For example, I play on a basic laptop on custom settings between low and medium.  With that in mind and the fact that this game is arguably very poorly optimized, I can see why they haven't done an overhaul.

One thing that I'd be concerned with is the severe performance drop on maps with tons of destroyable buildings such as Advance to the Rhine.  Even right now, frame rates suffer on this map, and I can only imagine what it would be like if the buildings were updated.  You might say that's fine because then most players will just choose not to use such settings.  But that's kinda the point, just that I think few people would really care about this update simply because it'll kill their machines, and all that effort goes to waste.

5 hours ago, False_Swiss said:

Yeah, terrain and buildings could use somewhat of an overhaul.  Keep in mind that Gaijin always seems to have a concern over players who don't have the capability to run anything too good.  For example, I play on a basic laptop on custom settings between low and medium.

A lot of youtubers and world of tanks players are just being pushed away by the hideous terrain textures. I agree with you that people with weak hardware will have a problem, but they can always buy something better and changing the graphics would attract more people than those who left

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Leelareso said:

Why doesn't war thunder have nice graphics like enlisted? Comically it looks like the vehicles look good but the graphics of the terrain and buildings are like from 2005. Why do I stick to such ugly textures. Ulq must be really? the game will die when you delete it ?? of course not, if war thunder looked enlisted it would attract many more players

Keep in mind that Gaijin needs to make sure that War thunder first hand operates to some degree on the aging 2013/14 hardware of PS4 and Xbox one.

Enlisted on the other hand has no such bottleneck and can have a higher graphical standard in place.

Gaijin can't go crazy and start redoing models, textures and implementing new graphical settings without first making sure the game will at least run on the last gen system.

But as I am sure many people have noticed, War thunder on the aging consoles have already suffered from a myriad of performance issues with the new things they implemented with the recent update.

The games future evolvement and improvements will continue being hamstrung as long as it stays on last generation platforms.

Edited by [email protected]
Spelling

So you think it's better to step back instead of moving forward? WG made such a graphic leap and it worked for them. Strongly sticking to old technological solutions will lead to nothing good. Gaijin has practically nothing from such people. A new generation of consoles has come out, so it's time for a graphic leap

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Leelareso said:

So you think it's better to step back instead of moving forward?

No, nor did I imply that, but that is the current situation and the reason why they can't drastically improve upon the game.

If I'd have to make a guess as to why they didn't bring Enlisted to the PS4/Xone, I'd say graphical fidelity would be the main reason as to why.

You cant bring current graphical standards to the old generation, just watch how many compromises Crytek had to pull in order to get a stripped down version of raytracing to run on Crysis for the PS4 pro and Xbox One X, it's barely an improvement over normal screen spaced reflections.

I don't know if they have any obligation or contract to keep supporting the old generation which hinders them from moving on, or if profitability is the reason they keep supporting it, one can only speculate.

It's up to gaijin to keep supporting the aging hardware or move on for the better of the game.

Just looking at the dynamic destruction they had in mind and what got makes me sad, most likely axed as they had to make it run on consoles.