Despite the New Engine, the Game Looks Horrible

Since New Power was released. there have been several graphical issues that have plagued the game. Thankfully, they are becoming more known. To start, when New Power came out, impacts of shells had no sound, no sparks, or hit detection. That was fixed, but there still more that have yet to dealt be with.

The biggest one, which is driving me and a lot of other players insane, is textures refusing to load. This includes on tanks, aircraft, especially their cockpits, and the new explosion effects that were promised. The biggest update of the year - and in recent War Thunder history - promises new, and better graphics. But, we're given broken textures, horrible dynamic shadows, FPS drops for a lot of players, crashes, and more that plague the new engine. I'm extremely passionate for the game, and I will always play and spend money on it. But these need to be sorted out.

Do not get me wrong, Dagor 6.0 brought a lot graphical improvements. However, it broke a lot as well. How can we admire new clouds and effects, if our vehicles look like they are from 2005? Why do the new explosions render as giant blocky pixels? Why do shadows cast on tanks from illumination flares make our tanks look like they're floating?

I'm posting this just to get some dedicated discussion on this. I attached some example screenshots, too.

Thank you!

Edited by _Catweazle_63
multiple screenshots added to spoiler
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

55 minutes ago, Elevencobi said:

Yeah I have experienced all of these bugs. I don't think its quite accurate to say that despite the graphics update the game looks terrible, because it does but it's not because the new graphics look bad they are just horribly bugged.

Well said. The intention is beautiful, but ruined by bugs.

I have experienced the same "low textures" issue.

I just changed the graphics quality (for example max to high, restart the game, then  reverse high to max ...),  it solved the problem. I don't know if it's definitive but it works!

Edited by infomatec
medal medal medal

I play on high settings and see no difference whatsoever between old clouds and new clouds.

On the other hand, the stone/rock textures are still 1997.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, qpranger said:

I play on high settings and see no difference whatsoever between old clouds and new clouds.

GROD.gif

I know you like to complain on everything, but cmon, you cannot be serious here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Stona said:

GROD.gif

I know you like to complain on everything, but cmon, you cannot be serious here.

Zero difference. Clouds are clouds. Make stone/rock textures better please. And shapes. Most rocks look like cardboard cutouts by kindergarten kids.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, qpranger said:

Zero difference. Clouds are clouds. Make stone/rock textures better please. And shapes. Most rocks look like cardboard cutouts by kindergarten kids.

6 minutes ago, Stona said:

GROD.gif

There is a difference. I do not know what you're talking about. There have been a lot of graphical upgrades these past patches. That's pretty clear, you're exagerating.

The problem is the bugs that... well, as you can see in the pictures, ruin them.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, qpranger said:

Yes, keep talking about clouds.

Ignore stone textures and rock shapes.

I have no clue what you're talking about bruh.

The topic of this thread is to talk about the horrid bugs that are plaguing the new engine - textures not loading for vehicles and explosions, dynamic shadows needing a lot of work, random shadows....

The new clouds are actually perfectly fine? I've yet to see any graphical bug relating to them. They're beautiful. Also, stones and rocks look fine as well. I'm playing on everything maxed at 1440p btw...

4 minutes ago, qpranger said:

Yes, keep talking about clouds.

Ignore stone textures and rock shapes.

Mate, you started the discussion with absurd statement that clouds looks same on high setting as on Dagor 5.0

Just now, RearAdmiralCake said:

I have no clue what you're talking about bruh.

The topic of this thread is to talk about the horrid bugs that are plaguing the new engine - textures not loading for vehicles and explosions, dynamic shadows needing a lot of work, random shadows....

The new clouds are actually perfectly fine? I've yet to see any graphical bug relating to them. They're beautiful. Also, stones and rocks look fine as well. I'm playing on everything maxed at 1440p btw...

Bug are bugs.

Saying "despite new engine, game looks horrible" is similar to his statement on clouds.

Both of you are exaggerate and make the interesting topic just silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Stona said:

Mate, you started the discussion with absurd statement that clouds looks same on high setting as on Dagor 5.0

Bug are bugs.

Saying "despite new engine, game looks horrible" is similar to his statement on clouds.

Both of you are exaggerate and make the interesting topic just silly.

Fair enough. But you can agree that textures failing to load and looking like they are from 2005 - which happens pretty much all the time - is kind of alarming? The new explosions were advertised looking so amazing. But in game, they don't even render 95% of the time. Vehicle textures will straight up not load after you have the client running for 30 minutes.

The engine is bugged here too. After a few games, I have to restart cause vehicles suddenly look like very early 3D from late 90s. Last pic on starting post.

The clouds: They do look different. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Surreal.

The ground: Most prominent in ground japan, sniper rock between center and right cap. Looks just awful! Not sure if a bug or just bad.

Also, rockets fired from planes disappear after a short moment. Looks really broken. Much better before.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Dodo_Dud said:

Also, rockets fired from planes disappear after a short moment. Looks really broken. Much better before.

This is actually correct, and looks how it should. Rockets have a very short burn time, so they cut off just like that. Look up footage of CAS in Vietnam firing Mighty Mouse rockets - looks like this.

2 minutes ago, Dodo_Dud said:

The engine is bugged here too. After a few games, I have to restart cause vehicles suddenly look like very early 3D from late 90s. Last pic on starting post.

This is the big one, which has been happening since New Power.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PointyPuffin said:

The graphical bugs I have now were around for at least half a year, like ghosting shadows, random downscaling of texture quality, etc...AFAIK, they have all been reported... 

It's been especially bad since the new engine. Check the subreddit. There are a plethora of showing how textures just downscale to like 1 big pixel. I have never seen it this bad.

Shadows??? Works fine... :)

Spoiler

BTW talking about rocks...

Is it possible to unify them either as physical objects OR just a texture??? You know, it's quite confusing having some rocks as object you get stuck on while a similar bunch of rocks is just a texture you can drive right through... :)

medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, RearAdmiralCake said:

2020.12.18-01.54.png

This also applies for the inside of the planes. When you fly them in SIM the instrument panel also gets this blurry, which makes it hard to navigate from the instruments.

medal medal medal

23 hours ago, qpranger said:

On the other hand, the stone/rock textures are still 1997.

I'll agree on the rocks, they are really bad especially on jungle.

Clouds look really good now and what's more important- they don't take that much space. This might also be source of your issue that you don't see them up close. Times of gajiobcumulus that took like 10x10x10km space are over.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The clouds look nice, as do the new effects, but I really hope the low res textures get updated at some point soon because now the game still looks like an old game with just some new brushes here and there. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

18 minutes ago, Dodo_Dud said:

Many vehicles show the wrong skin. When I fly the US 109 F-4, I see a german camo.

When I fly german 109 f-4 i often get the US camo (and I don't even have it).  I've also flown against US 109 F4's and they have German camo.  (when I get close enough to see it).

... :/

medal