Hello friends.

1350333141_unnamed(1).thumb.jpg.5020f211

If you noticed, there is a rear machinegun DT in the IS turret, (KV-IS, KV-85, KV-122, IS-1, IS-2) 

May I ask, are those effective? Were they used in the war? 

I suppose they are of some use against German troops trying to stick a mine to your engine deck, or firesupport for infantry behind. Or maybe not? Since lots of the crews welded shut the MG port. But if that was the case, surely the Soviets wouldn't keep a redundant feature like this! 

Also, with the DSHK Heavy MG mounted on the commander cupola, makes this rear MG more obsolete. I don't understand!

In War Thunder, the rear MG port is modeled, with a DT machinegun barrel sticking out the rear, but it is nonfunctional.

Can somebody show me some reports about the rear DT Machinegun being used in combat? many thanks!

Not likely to see many combat reports as there just aren't many from the Soviets.

However their heavy tanks were for a breakthrough role - attacking fortified positions - rather than anti-tank combat, so it's not hard to imagine they were more useful in that job.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

practically that:

I suppose they are of some use against German troops trying to stick a mine to your engine deck.

though when it happens you are in trouble anyway

surely the Soviets wouldn't keep a redundant feature like this! 

and they didn't, as you don't see it on any later tanks.

keep in mind that data on feature and it being redundant dosen't come in instantly and especially considering impact of Winter War.

medal medal

• 5 weeks later...

I don't have any reports specifically on it, but the general point for rear-facing machine guns for not just the Soviets, but also the Japanese and whoever else invested in the idea, was that it would be quicker to switch to that to attack infantry that had flanked behind you than to turn your turret around. However, in other cases, more specifically the M2 medium, it was also made with the intention in mind to attack infantry in trenches as they cross over them.

medal medal medal medal