Looking for 8.0 US lineup for EC

Hey guys,

I'm new to sim and looking to try my hand at 8.0 EC. I have the following aircraft unlocked and purchased:

Banshee

First F-80

Both F-84s 

A5 and F2 Sabre

F-100

Both Phantoms

Additionally, I have both Panthers and the Cougar unlocked but not purchased. 

I have one fully trained crew slot, one poorly trained slot, and the rest completely untrained; none of my aircraft are expert. As the training costs are high, I don't want to waste my lions trying aircraft which aren't viable. So what's a good, relatively beginner friendly line-up for this tier? Tactical advice for these aircraft would also be greatly appreciated. 

The first thing I should point out, and that you might already be aware of with EC6 (for any nations really) is that in light of reward nerfs and repair cost buffs across the board throughout the year, EC6 will be a very costly experience in your SL budget. Be sure to have a sufficient stable budget prepared before you play unless you know for sure you won't be losing money! Check each planes' repair costs before you crew and start playing them, as many 'good' planes are usually overpriced in their repair costs nowadays.

As for the actual line up, the F2H-2 Banshee is probably the best EC6 starter 8.0 fighter you could use, so you're quite set for a starting point in SB EC6. I'd say it's pretty tied with the F-84G (F-84G is faster but heavier, does not turn as well once you lose speed, which will happen a lot for an 8.0 fighting other things flying around), but the Banshee is a lot more flexible in its ability to turn-fight most things it faces, even sometimes being able to follow much superior climbing planes into verticals (with its pretty good energy retention and low speed acceleration), even if your opponent is flying an 8.3-8.7 aircraft. So be sure to have the Banshee crewed for one of your crew slots as your starter 8.0. If you like challenge, the F-84G is also an option as well. Alternatively, you can always take a B-57B and bomb at the start of a match for the SP blitzkrieg. :)

Moving to 8.3, the Panthers & Cougar are also pretty good. The big thing about 8.3's is that they don't get time-locked when you die in them and only cost 50SP which you can easily get by killing anything once in your Banshee. Also, even though the Cougar is an excellent aircraft (arguably the best 8.3 in the game as of now with its 4x AIM-9B's making it an excellent, low-SP cost subsonic counter to supersonics or upper-tier subsonics to a degree) and better than either of the Panthers in just about every/most aspects, the 8.3 BR rating should be a good indication that it's supposed to be used as if it is a disposable aircraft. You should expect to die in it easily as much as you can be killing things easily, it's an 8.3 after all. And although the missiles and subsonic turn gives you an edge when countering supersonics or upper-tier subsonics, something like a competent pilot flying his MiG-15bis or G.91 will still destroy you.

The difference between having a Panther or Cougar crewed is really down to budget. The Cougar costs almost twice the repair cost of either Panthers, so if you're looking to save money, have the Panther crewed instead. If your SL situation is stable and you want an excellently performing and capable Cougar instead, have at it :salute:

Now for the Sabres, I would say for you to skip the A5 Sabre. The A5 has a better handling characteristic especially at lower speeds, but its weaker engine compared to any other Sabres is very easily noticeable both by yourself and more importantly your opponent, and you're simply way better off with the F-86F-25 Sabre, which is literally the same BR as the A5 Sabre for better performance in just about every aspect except low speed handling. I recommend getting the F-86F-25 and replacing your F-86A-5 with it if you haven't done so, it's well worth it at least in my opinion.

The key thing I'd like to bring up about Sabres however, is that they are excellent beginner aircraft. Very simple and stable handling (mainly because they have some of the oldest flight models in the game haha), easy-to-use and plentiful guns and firing time (relatively speaking), and quite affordable at only 110SP/160SP (depending on 8.7 A5/F25 or 9.0 F2 Sabre) and cheap repair costs. It's not a bad idea to have both the F-86F-25 and F-86F-2 Sabres crewed if you have enough crews for it, as they have different BRs if you die in one, you'll have the other available and not time-locked, ready to play. Personally I usually have the 9.0 FJ-4 (worse performance, but the missiles make a huge difference alongside good cannons with more ammo than the F-2 Sabre) crewed in place of the F-2 Sabre, or no 9.0 at all since I'm confident enough with the F-25 Sabre and for myself to get SP for upper tier aircraft above 9.0 and keep my SP situation stable in a match.

The F-100D is a hidden gem, overshadowed by Harriers and US F-104's. It's surprisingly an amazingly good dogfighter for its tier and for a relatively cheap cost in SP & spawn cost, gives you the potential to counter MiG-21's or other top tier threats you might face in a match if your Phantoms are unavailable. It's not a beginner friendly aircraft however, it will take practice in its handling and playstyle but it has a lot of potential left to be desired since most people skip it for the Phantoms or take the Harrier or F-104 instead.

You can skip the F-4C, F-4E is just simply much viable, unless you enjoy playing the F-4C (as I do). Not much advice for Phantoms, but when it comes to direct usage of the Phantoms things can get pretty specific and complicated. My key advice for Phantoms I'll leave here is to rely on ambush tactics. If you aren't confident in John Boyd'ing a MiG or Mirage/Draken, your best bet is a wingman in another Phantom or ambushing them and killing them before they even spot you first, which the Phantom can be very good at  :wink: Stay low below your targets, spot them first with your radar or look for fast moving dots if you see or know there's enemy supersonics around. You have a very powerful (albeit buggy and half-modeled, still waiting on Gaijin to give it and the FGR2 the pulse-doppler radar they had so simply looking below at any angles below the horizon doesn't completely confuse the **** out of the radar and make it fail completely) radar that has IFF capabilities to spot targets and tell if it's friend or foe from miles away. Use it!

TLDR; F2H-2 Banshee is a chad 8.0, F-25 and F-2 Sabres are very good beginner jets along with the F2H-2. Play around with and figure out the F-100D on your own, and rely on wingman/ambush tactic for F-4E- it's good at that and will be OP if used in that strength.

medal medal medal medal

Personally, this is my line-up if I wanna have a beat-down with the enemy team. You can really have any planes from the list, but note the spread in BRs per aircrafts crewed and what I have for each BRs.

EDIT: F-100D is inter-changeable with Harrier, A-7D is a good replacement for the giga-overpriced F3H-2 Demon. You can have A-4B crewed along with the FJ-4 or F-86F-2, and if you die in A-4B the FJ-4 or F-86F-2 (or both if you have both crewed) will not get timelocked, as the A-4B is an Attacker (noted by the greenish diamond on the bottom-right next to it's BR on the icon like the A-7D does in the screenshot below) while F-86F-2 and FJ-4 are classified as Fighters.

lineup.thumb.jpg.cc973cb912b3ce7a737c95d

Edited by Keemseemsmeen
medal medal medal medal

I wrote a lengthy reply a few days ago, but all bar the first sentence disappeared before I could post it.  I’d echo the advice above, in particular, the F2H Banshee is your best starter and the Cougar is an excellent ‘almost’ starter at 8.3 with very early access to missiles.

Only thing I would add is advice to get your crews trained, because G-tolerance becomes vital in jet combat; an untrained crew would be a distinct disadvantage.  You can get away with low training if you’re just going to bomb (and bombing will quickly earn the crew points needed to increase crew skills).  When you create your line up you’ll need to consider crew training levels and save your fully trained crew for the pure fighter role, while you’ll need to limit the untrained crews to roles like bombing until they improve their G-tolerance.

medal

I kinda disagree about the F2H it can turn okay but it's very slow. The F-84G is a pig in SB but at least it's a bit faster which should help you catch enemies and follow up on kills more reliably. It also retains energy way better than the Navy fighters so i'd say it stands a better chance against other subsonics as well. 

Spoiler

It also has an airspawn which works wonders at preventing you from getting strafed on the runway.

You can also take it loaded as a fighter/bomber and shoot at some pillboxes or something, though the bombs and rockets don't do any favors for it's handling.

medal

Well apart from whatever said above, I'd give you a friendly warning.

On 17/12/2020 at 13:58, GeneralVikus said:

new to sim

at 8.0 EC

These two are not a good combination. I'd say give a chance to EC3-4-5 first (maybe you did already I don't know) EC6 is a really frustrating experience due to Gaijin's lack of interest in fixing that tier. I'd say its the least enjoyable bracket in general. I'm giving you that warning because EC6 is expensive economy wise. It would be best to get more experience in SB in general before breaking the bank.

But whatever you choose do, welcome and good luck.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

I'm new to sim and looking to try my hand at 8.0 EC.

"new to sim" and "8.0 EC" should never end up in the same sentence unless it's: if you are new to sim avoid 8.0 EC ;)

If you are new to sim try EC2 (2.3) or at best EC3 (3.7) rather than jet games or even EC4 (5.0).

People at those ranks will be happy to see fresh meat on the menu but you will just suffer for 1-2 games and then leave SB totally because more experience (either in flying or system abuse) players will farm you

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

41 minutes ago, _Thrash_ said:

17 minutes ago, przybysz86 said:

Let's be honest, people don't care and they start in EC5 and EC6 anyway, EC5 has actually lower level of players skill-wise than EC1 and I highly doubt that it's significantly better in EC6.

99% of people playing EC5 are just tankers or RB players who have no idea how to fly jets (maybe they do in RB but that won't really work in SB) or are just "zombing" to research new jets or unlock upgrades.

medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, RideR2 said:

Let's be honest, people don't care and they start in EC5 and EC6 anyway,

well but we all know how this ends

7 minutes ago, RideR2 said:

EC5 has actually lower level of players skill-wise than EC1

I totally agree. Lot of people think they can jump into EC5-6 as their first SB experience. All they achieve is they die 10x per w/o killing anyone.
Sadly you are totally correct saying that EC5 (6.7 for those who do not know the nomenclature) has by far lowest skill level in whole SB.
Yes, there are good players but avg EC5 player usually is the easiest target in the whole SB.

to OP: try EC1/2. there guns are much less powerful and energy states of planes are much lower. this means that even if you make mistake and burn all your energy or get hit, there is great chance you will survive. Even if you get damaged your performance loss will not be huge

Jets do require much better energy management and perfect SA over half of map because even dots 10km away can get close and kill you in matter of seconds.

but as it was said:

54 minutes ago, _Thrash_ said:

But whatever you choose do, welcome and good luck.

Edited by przybysz86
medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, RideR2 said:

EC5 has actually lower level of players skill-wise than EC1

Yes, but people get offended when I suggest EC1, so I start with EC3, which I truly believe one of the best and most fun tiers of the entire game. It doesn't give much but it train true pilots and its much more balanced than anything else.

4 hours ago, RideR2 said:

99% of people playing EC5 are just tankers 

That is why an SB pilot can through them like a knife through butter. Lets be honest I have lost of tanks but if I join a late tier tank battle now, I'd make a fool out myself.

4 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

to OP: try EC1/2

I'd say EC 2, 1 might feel quite desolate depending on the nation...

But anyway to OP, listen these two too, they know what they are talking about.

medal medal medal