It seems as if there has been an influx of PS4 and Xbox players in Simulation battles. And I may be wrong, but it seems as if those players are typically at the top of the scoresheet. I use a joystick, throttle and rudder pedals with two dozen buttons, sliders and HATS. Others use a mouse and keyboards with many options for control. I also have a PS4, and I just can't see a console game controller offering the same level of control and options. Are there different flight characteristics or fewer necessary control inputs for console players? Not knocking them, just curious. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, claykiller said:

And I may be wrong, but it seems as if those players are typically at the top of the scoresheet.

Well no. Only coicidence might be that maybe, but just maybe, there are more bomber dudes among consoleros. But that's a big maybe.

It's as If you would say, anytime a guy named nazradu2 is in the lobby he is on top of the score board. Oh wait that's true actualy XD

medal medal medal

Having a controller by their name doesn't mean they are always on console. I play PC but started on ps4 so i have a controller by my name in game. Although i still do use a DS4 for main flight controls and a keyboard for all extra controls.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

On 14/12/2020 at 17:08, nazradu2 said:

Well no. Only coicidence might be that maybe, but just maybe, there are more bomber dudes among consoleros

You take that back... saying us console boys fly more bombers is like saying we wear frilly knickers! Which we do as they're comfortable and don't chafe.

It's just that some of us (not necessarily me..) are actually pretty damn good pilots. I remember before we could play with the big boys there were a few threads about how us Playstation plebs would get destroyed.. unfortunately they didn't seem to realise that a fair chunk of us had been playing Birds of Steel pretty religiously on the Ps3 before this and so were more than capable of holding our own. 

What I will say though is that we're at a fairly huge disadvantage when it comes to hardware, being able to only run at 30fps (with major dips) isn't exactly fun....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [email protected] said:

You take that back... saying us console boys fly more bombers is like saying we wear frilly knickers! Which we do as they're comfortable and don't chafe.

It's just that some of us (not necessarily me..) are actually pretty damn good pilots. I remember before we could play with the big boys there were a few threads about how us Playstation plebs would get destroyed.. unfortunately they didn't seem to realise that a fair chunk of us had been playing Birds of Steel pretty religiously on the Ps3 before this and so were more than capable of holding our own. 

What I will say though is that we're at a fairly huge disadvantage when it comes to hardware, being able to only run at 30fps (with major dips) isn't exactly fun....

Sure bro. You are human beings too... kind off.

Joke aside. I made my first kills with a DS4 controler. No head tracking and a poor 16" screen. I even wrote a guide in how to get into sim with a controler in the german forum section. Cause a controler is all you need to get started and it's a nice way to dip your toe into sim water.

• Haha 1
medal medal medal

After about 6 months of playing with mouse joystick (not mouse-aim) sim air fighters, and either a keyboard or controller thumbstick to look around, it's getting to be more natural and I can *almost* look around as well as IR head tracking.

Could also be more console players in general playing as a larger percentage of users. I used to build a gaming PC, but then many years it went out of date, I got laptops for regular PC tasks, and have console for dedicated gaming, it's more stable and easier to pick up & play instead of constantly tweaking hardware & software on PC. I think more users choose this route, especially with new generation consoles that are a bargain compared to a dedicated gaming PC.

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, [email protected] said:

it's getting to be more natural and I can *almost* look around as well as IR head tracking.

Your advantage over VR is you are not bound to a neck, after every dueling tournament, after many merges....I look like Stephen Hawking I mean no offense just the reference

kWGNebM.jpg

• Haha 3
medal medal medal

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/12/2020 at 16:54, claykiller said:

It seems as if there has been an influx of PS4 and Xbox players in Simulation battles. And I may be wrong, but it seems as if those players are typically at the top of the scoresheet. I use a joystick, throttle and rudder pedals with two dozen buttons, sliders and HATS. Others use a mouse and keyboards with many options for control. I also have a PS4, and I just can't see a console game controller offering the same level of control and options. Are there different flight characteristics or fewer necessary control inputs for console players? Not knocking them, just curious. 

Many console players use more stuff than you might imagine. I've seen a lot of them hooking up keyboard and mouse to the PS4 and use them alongside the DS4. I use something very similar to the keyboard attachment you see in the image I attached. It is SUPER helpful for all the additional buttons you need to bind. 

The only places where I feel control is a problem is when we are comparing the swiftness and accuracy of a mouse-pointing style gaming vs that with an analogue stick. The stick makes me slow to adjust my aim for tanks. Unfortunately, that can be decisive in close combat. It also makes tiny adjustments VERY hard to do. I made the situation slightly better by installing a thumb-grip on the right stick to add a tiny bit of height to the stick. This also brings me to the issue of PS4 analogue stick vs a joystick. The stick being tiny means fine adjustments are a bit difficult to do for deflection shooting/fighters although that can be helped to some degree by experimenting with the non-linearity settings.

con.jpg

• Upvote 1

hello,

i play planes simulator (rang I to IV) with my PS4 controller and it work good (i'm just a player with a medium level)t,i use only fighters ,very very very rarely a bomber (when i want to do a screenshots for fun).

i made my custom controls settings ,i have no keyboard or mouse (i admit that i think to add a keyboard with my controller because there are not enough touch on the controller to use the chat for exemple)

it is good to remenber that on PLAYSTATION consoles we had 2 GAIJIN planes games ,the old brothers of WARTHUNDER ,the first IL2 BIRDS OF PREY ,if i remenber right available in 2009 and the second BIRDS OF STEEL available in 2012 ,i played the both and use the same custom camera view controls than WARTHUNDER ,the camera view controls are in my opinion very very important... see the first ,see quickly...it work good even if i have a very bad eyes ,a glasses.

i use the same camera view controls  since 2009!!!soon 12 years ago!!!u finish to had experience with practice...

PC players think CONSOLE players had some advantages , CONSOLE players think PC players had some advantages ,the best to do is just play ...like a console players i like cross plateform game ,because it is very good to progress vs the best players of this game ...the time of the consoles peasants is over.

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 17/01/2021 at 12:33, [email protected] said:

It's nice seeing my fellow Birds Of Steelians on here, I knew your name was familiar. :good:

I wish we could have the Spitfire and the Dora/Tempest engine notes back. 

haha ;yes very nice to see a Birds Of Steelian too !!!so much days where i went to sleep at dawn after a full night of dogfights with this game !!!...mmm...well i was  something like 10 years younger than now ,it count!!!..lol!!! at 46 years old it start to become hard to play all the night ,tired faster than before!!!

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...

Since Ps4 and PC could play togheter i saw quite alot of Console player in Sim which is always great, many can be easy kills but there are plenty which are extremly good and i started to respect them and not judge by the star* the CONSOLE STAR (wait does War Thunder still add the star for console players mhhh).

P.s. VR is fun even tho your Neck hurts because your face is often 90° upwards.

medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, W10_Sekij said:

Since Ps4 and PC could play togheter i saw quite alot of Console player in Sim which is always great, many can be easy kills but there are plenty which are extremly good and i started to respect them and not judge by the star* the CONSOLE STAR (wait does War Thunder still add the star for console players mhhh).

P.s. VR is fun even tho your Neck hurts because your face is often 90° upwards.

Now instead of the console star you get a console controller emogi

• Upvote 1

Not going to lie, I have a joystick, but I am better with the DS4 controller. I just got used to it. The only thing is no full rudder authority. 

A buddy of mine also uses DS4 but has it set up like a RC plane since that is one of his hobbies. His setup is completely alien to me but damn, hes a good pilot. 

medal medal