On Experimental Super-Missiles and Wunderwaffe

For most of the history of this game, in order for any weapon preset or shell to exist in it, evidence must have existed for its employment in some way.  Now that this is not the case, with the 88mm Treibspiegel shell for the Maus, and the SRAAM - both of which never progressed past the testing stage - I figured that I would compile a short list of Wunderwaffe to add to some other nations arsenals in the name of balance, since it's highly unlikely that the existing ones will be removed from the game, as preferable as that would be. This is in no way meant to be comprehensive, just a list of weapons cancelled in the testing stage that I remember off the top of my head, that can be deployed from vehicles already existing in the game.

USA

AIM-95 Agile - Developed at the same time as the SRAAM, there's photographic evidence that it was tested on F-4 phantoms in two triple mounts.  Like the SRAAM, a thrust vectoring HOBS missile.

AIM-97 Seekbat - Also developed around the same time as the SRAAM, it was a high speed, long range SARH missile with IR terminal guidance, designed to arm the F-4 Phantom and F-15.

AAM-N-4 Oriole - Active radar missiles that began development in 1947, never progressed past the testing phase but would have been carried by contemporary early naval jets.

AAM-N-5 Meteor - SARH Missile that began development in 1945, longer-range two-stage missile.  Would bring missiles down to the low BRs, since it was tested from the A-26 Invader and F3D.

Germany

Ruhrstahl X-4 - MCLOS missile with air-to-air and anti-tank variants, the latter was developed into the SS.10 after the war by the French.  Never deployed, but built and tested.

MG/K 213 - 20mm/30mm revolver cannon, designed to replace MG 151 in aircraft use but never fielded.  Developed into the American M39, British ADEN, and French DEFA after the war.

Henschel Hs 298 - Tested only once, cancelled in favor of the X-4.

Of the other nations - I do not know enough about the USSR's weapons, but the R-60 is the only missile in the game that matches the SRAAM anyway, and is only found at higher BRs, so it isn't much of a balance issue; and France and China are the only other nations that really designed and built their own missiles, and I also do not know enough about them.

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 1
medal medal

There is also the F-89D, which gets proximity fuse rockets in game, while irl it never had them.

F-84F was tested with Bullpups, so there's a nice "wonderwaffe" for a soon to be new aircraft))

F-84+test-firing+a+missile.jpg

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

France developped the R.510 IR guided missile which should be pretty close to the AIM-9B in performance, of which the radar guided version later entered service (R.511), and the AA.25 which is a beam-riding AA.20 (looks the same on the outside).

There was also the BHT-38 guided bomb, the first radio guided bomb, tested on LeO 451 and Martin 167.

Edited by Cedjoe
medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 15/12/2020 at 03:12, Spindash64 said:

unless there was a plane that mounted the MG/K, I doubt we'll see it.

Also, while we're on the topic of special munitions, the Hs-293 AGM, and the Mistel would both be very fun weapons to mess with.

there was an Fw 190 that had them mounted for testing

Edited by _Iluminas_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal