ALL MAC PLAYERS! Turn OFF (uncheck) the "Full Client" in Launcher. Game crash to desktop (work-around)

15 hours ago, KoPas73 said:

Just wanted to mention that the constant crashes on Mac can be avoided by not using the 'full-client'. User on another thread inside some of the topics mentioned this. I can confirm this helps a lot. Maybe the devs have some help when seeing this and can localize the issue.

Link plz.

Anyone else notice this?

18 hours ago, Pony51 said:

Link plz.

Anyone else notice this?

I agree. After several games where the game crashed about 2 times per game, I have been able to play two games in a row without any crash. Full client off and WIP client also disabled.

imac 27 - catalina - sys info.jpg

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

Working for me too. I can play all the way up to High settings with no crashes.

Corrupted texture in the "full" download I'll bet.

Conversation can be found here.

Edited by RealMajorHavok
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm - at least for my system. 

After unchecking the "Full client" option in the launcher, I was able to play through three matches in a row and then return to hangar without any trouble.

I'll keep going and post any updates here.

• Thanks 1
medal

I play on a mac and have experienced the same issues since around the time of the new power update. Random crashes at any point in the game or in hangar. Usually at least once per game. Frustrating. I tired doing it without the full client - and works like a charm. Played about 10 matches today without full client and the game has not crashed yet.

It works! However i do enjoy playing on full client with all the HD textures and sounds and such and would love for this issue to be fixed. 

• Thanks 1

So I did the following:

1. Downloaded the basic 11 to 12 GB install

2. Graphic setting to Max

3. Skipped the prompt for downloading the bulk of client containing HD textures etc

4. Played for about two hours with not one crash where before I would get at least one to two crashes per match with full client

Now I have my doubts that this will help in anyway, because what in the sheer bulk of GB's of data that make up the full client minus the initial download could cause the crashes?

Also it is my honest feeling that Gaijin is determined not to support a small minority user base anymore, and probably would not blink an eye if all Mac users just went away quietly.

Edited by Nkosiyabo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal

I will try this today and report back here as to it's effect. I'm running WT v2.1.0.109 right now. Thanks for sharing this tip.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 10/12/2020 at 15:54, Pony51 said:

Link plz.

Anyone else notice this?

I just tried this with v2.1.0.110. I'm running a 2017 MBP w/ Radeon RX 580 in an eGPU case and using macOS 11.1.

I played 2 full air arcade battles and did not crash once. That's great! Thanks for this tip.

If (like me) you are sure what "full client" means, it means (at least in part) that high definition (HD) textures are not loaded or used during game play. The fact that not using HD textures helps prevent crashes, but using them leads to frequent crashes screams memory leak problem in the code somewhere, just sayin'.

Thanks again for the tip. At least I can get back to playing regularly...I'd pretty much stopped for the past 18 days.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 10/12/2020 at 16:59, Dayman said:

I can confirm my crashes drastically reduced when I switched off full client. 

On 11/12/2020 at 06:15, OneShotTank said:

Yes! This works. Since New Power I've had 2-3 crashes PER MATCH. But without "full-client" I just had a run of 4 games without a crash. Thank you. 

On 11/12/2020 at 09:16, hitman1941 said:

I agree. After several games where the game crashed about 2 times per game, I have been able to play two games in a row without any crash. Full client off and WIP client also disabled.

imac 27 - catalina - sys info.jpg

On 11/12/2020 at 12:52, kevinmeis said:

Yes. I checked the "work-in-progress" client box, and tried to play. I got through 4 missions with no problems before crashing to desktop.

On 11/12/2020 at 13:29, RealMajorHavok said:

Working for me too. I can play all the way up to High settings with no crashes.

Conversation can be found here.

On 11/12/2020 at 13:49, Jagiellonian said:

I can confirm - at least for my system. 

After unchecking the "Full client" option in the launcher, I was able to play through three matches in a row and then return to hangar without any trouble.

I'll keep going and post any updates here.

On 11/12/2020 at 15:12, [email protected] said:

Confirmed. No crashes all evening by deselecting "full game client" option in launcher. 

On 11/12/2020 at 15:55, Jagiellonian said:

With "Full client" unchecked, I was able to play seven matches in a row without any crashes, and quit the game normally.

On 11/12/2020 at 16:01, jaquantie said:

I play on a mac and have experienced the same issues since around the time of the new power update. Random crashes at any point in the game or in hangar. Usually at least once per game. Frustrating. I tired doing it without the full client - and works like a charm. Played about 10 matches today without full client and the game has not crashed yet.

It works! However i do enjoy playing on full client with all the HD textures and sounds and such and would love for this issue to be fixed. 

On 12/12/2020 at 01:56, Nkosiyabo said:

So I did the following:

1. Downloaded the basic 11 to 12 GB install

2. Graphic setting to Max

3. Skipped the prompt for downloading the bulk of client containing HD textures etc

4. Played for about two hours with not one crash where before I would get at least one to two crashes per match with full client

Now I have my doubts that this will help in anyway, because what in the sheer bulk of GB's of data that make up the full client minus the initial download could cause the crashes?

Also it is my honest feeling that Gaijin is determined not to support a small minority user base anymore, and probably would not blink an eye if all Mac users just went away quietly.

On 12/12/2020 at 16:52, _SlyBoy_ said:

I just tried this with v2.1.0.110. I'm running a 2017 MBP w/ Radeon RX 580 in an eGPU case and using macOS 11.1.

I played 2 full air arcade battles and did not crash once. That's great! Thanks for this tip.

If (like me) you are sure what "full client" means, it means (at least in part) that high definition (HD) textures are not loaded or used during game play. The fact that not using HD textures helps prevent crashes, but using them leads to frequent crashes screams memory leak problem in the code somewhere, just sayin'.

Thanks again for the tip. At least I can get back to playing regularly...I'd pretty much stopped for the past 18 days.

On 12/12/2020 at 23:57, mountainwildcat said:

I can confirm that I rarely crash when 'Full Client' is disabled.

THANK YOU!

Sorry for absence, I am just a volunteer, so can only do this when I have time.

• Pony51 changed the title to ALL MAC PLAYERS! Turn OFF (uncheck) the "Full Client" in Launcher. Game crash to desktop (work-around)
On 12/12/2020 at 17:52, _SlyBoy_ said:

screams memory leak problem in the code somewhere, just sayin'.

If you want to prove that beyond a doubt, just do this:

1) start WT at night

2) go to bed

3) wake up your Mac the next morning

When I do this I see a message that my Mac has run out of memory because WT is using up 128 GB of memory. Every time.

• Thanks 1

I think I possibly narrowed the issue down a bit more. I've been experimenting a bit as I noticed that while it was crashing that it was almost never at the beginning of the match and also that it was almost impossible to play CAS without crashing immediately or very soon after spawning. So on a hunch I went ahead an re-enabled the full client but renamed the aircraft texture directory to keep the aircraft textures low quality.

Result: I played a whole night of games (10+) so far without any issues, and only airplane textures will be low quality. Customize view, armor viewer etc for tanks works fine.
And sure enough re-enabling hq aircaft textures causes crashes again every match not long after CAS starts spawning.

You can find the aircraft textures in "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/War Thunder/content.hq/hq_tex/res" in the steam version.

If someone else wants to try here are the steps:
1. Install the full client textures
2. Wait for the launcher to finish analyzing files
3. Rename hq_tex_aircrafts in above dir to something else
4. Play the game

Don't forget to rename the directory back to hq_tex_aircrafts before starting the launcher again next time and rename it again after file check otherwise the launcher will delete the renamed dir and download ~20GB of textures again.

One could for sure try to narrow it down to the specific airplane textures that cause the crash but that would be a lot of effort, I do think it's more than one texture though as the crashes happen at all kinds of BRs for me.

• Thanks 1
medal

17 hours ago, RealMajorHavok said:

If you want to prove that beyond a doubt, just do this:

1) start WT at night

2) go to bed

3) wake up your Mac the next morning

When I do this I see a message that my Mac has run out of memory because WT is using up 128 GB of memory. Every time.

16 hours ago, GarryPowers said:

I think I possibly narrowed the issue down a bit more. I've been experimenting a bit as I noticed that while it was crashing that it was almost never at the beginning of the match and also that it was almost impossible to play CAS without crashing immediately or very soon after spawning. So on a hunch I went ahead an re-enabled the full client but renamed the aircraft texture directory to keep the aircraft textures low quality.

Result: I played a whole night of games (10+) so far without any issues, and only airplane textures will be low quality. Customize view, armor viewer etc for tanks works fine.
And sure enough re-enabling hq aircaft textures causes crashes again every match not long after CAS starts spawning.

You can find the aircraft textures in "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/War Thunder/content.hq/hq_tex/res" in the steam version.

If someone else wants to try here are the steps:
1. Install the full client textures
2. Wait for the launcher to finish analyzing files
3. Rename hq_tex_aircrafts in above dir to something else
4. Play the game

Don't forget to rename the directory back to hq_tex_aircrafts before starting the launcher again next time and rename it again after file check otherwise the launcher will delete the renamed dir and download ~20GB of textures again.

One could for sure try to narrow it down to the specific airplane textures that cause the crash but that would be a lot of effort, I do think it's more than one texture though as the crashes happen at all kinds of BRs for me.

Information forwarded right now!

More feedback on game with no Full Client wanted.