Skin reverting to default when taking damage

I recently got a skin for my Mig17 (https://live.warthunder.com/post/898381/en/) and noticed when my aircraft took damage it would replace the skin with the default skin.  I was wondering if anyone else started to have this issue, and if it was a well known bug or not.

Attached is an example of it happening.

Thanks for reading.

shot 2020.12.04 15.45.26.jpg

medal medal

• 4 weeks later...

I post here because the problem is similar.

After last update some skins became blurry like they were in low resolution, decals on one skin are in all the other skins even if the decal is not selected.

But the worst issue is that some skins disappear after taking damage or don't show up and you see only the pilot floating in the sky!!! That happens on default (vanilla) skins so it's not a skin's issue, it's a texture issue.

medal medal medal

Regarding the original post, it looks like the damage file is missing from the aircraft's skin folder. Custom skins should contain a damage file to go along with the original. If it doesn't, a damaged section of the aircraft will default to the original file.

As for Boa's post, I've recently gotten into skinning and I've noticed that the default damage skins are at half the resolution of the originals (256mb for damage, 512 for originals). Most custom skins are at least 2k or higher (i.e. at least 4 times the resolution of the original), so that the detail shows through. Despite the resolution difference, some stock skins have more detail than others and some damage files are incredibly basic in comparison. You can see this happen if, say you take damage to the wing and the national marking often becomes blurry. Maybe Gaijin wanted to keep files small for faster loading and to decrease lag? Even so, having a damage file with similar resolution to the original would not eat up too much mb of graphics.

Something I've been doing in my own custom skins is upgrading the damage files to prevent this problem. It's a small issue but incredibly annoying, especially when flying something like a P-47 that can take a lot of abuse and keep flying. Once it gets slightly damaged, it looks like crap for the rest of the match.

medal