How to edit TGA files as a 3d object?

I may just not have what it takes to create skins, but I certainly would have an easier time if I could edit the TGA template files provided in game as a 3d object.  Is there any program like Photoshop or other Adobe products I could use to make my life little easier?  When I opened this amx_30_roland_turret.tga I was instantly overwhelmed. Thank you in advance for all replies!

Hello! :)

There is a way to texture the vehicles in War Thunder in a 3D view. The process is a bit tedious at first but the more you do it, the better you get at it! So, CmdNomad made videos on this stuff. He created a 4 part video series (not too long to watch) where he uses Ninjaripper (a software that force extracts game files for games). Then, once you extract the 3D objects from the asset viewer (CDK), you import in your 3D modeling software of your choice (mine is Blender but 3Ds Max is also fine!). Once you do that, all the objects appear really distorted and out of place, and there will be many duplicates of the same objects within the file. This is FINE and this is where the tedious step comes into play. You have to rearrange, rescale, delete, reoriented etc. all of the objects so that it matches the look of the tank within the game. Once you have done that step you can start to texture the 3D model in a 3D way instead of looking only that the .tga file that you linked. 

I highly recommend that you watch his videos! They are pretty cool. Here is the link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC83ReAn181dMwHTDcViSa5g/videos

Also, the amx_30_roland_turret.tga file that you linked is the UV map of the turret of the AMX 30 turret. A UV map is simply the 3D model flattened on a flat plane and then a texture is applied to the UV map which is what you see on your screen. I can understand it looks overwhelming but that is because of how the colors on the vehicle are and just the amount of objects that were unwrapped on that texture tile. If you wanna see a cleaner UV map that is easier to understand, I recommend looking at aircraft. They have less complexity and their shape flows better that a tank does. 

Disclaimer: Those files are Gaijins so don't do anything with them except for texturing. 

The software that you could use are 3Ds Max, Blender and Krita. They are all free (expect for 3Ds Max but you can get a 3 year student license). I really prefer Krita because is VERY versatile with .tga files. Also, if you plan to texture with a 2D viewport like Krita, Photoshop, GIMP etc. the UV maps have some distortion meaning that the angles between the vertices, or the area on the faces or the shape of the faces may have distorted or changed a bit during the UV unwrap process. That is really the concern that I would have with texturing vehicles in game. BUT, using 3D viewport and having a tangent projection of your texture on the vehicle will minimize distortion. This isn't really possible with Krita though and any other image editing software like Photoshop. 

21 hours ago, alcalc2 said:

Hello! :)

There is a way to texture the vehicles in War Thunder in a 3D view. The process is a bit tedious at first but the more you do it, the better you get at it! So, CmdNomad made videos on this stuff. He created a 4 part video series (not too long to watch) where he uses Ninjaripper (a software that force extracts game files for games). Then, once you extract the 3D objects from the asset viewer (CDK), you import in your 3D modeling software of your choice (mine is Blender but 3Ds Max is also fine!). Once you do that, all the objects appear really distorted and out of place, and there will be many duplicates of the same objects within the file. This is FINE and this is where the tedious step comes into play. You have to rearrange, rescale, delete, reoriented etc. all of the objects so that it matches the look of the tank within the game. Once you have done that step you can start to texture the 3D model in a 3D way instead of looking only that the .tga file that you linked. 

I highly recommend that you watch his videos! They are pretty cool. Here is the link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC83ReAn181dMwHTDcViSa5g/videos

Also, the amx_30_roland_turret.tga file that you linked is the UV map of the turret of the AMX 30 turret. A UV map is simply the 3D model flattened on a flat plane and then a texture is applied to the UV map which is what you see on your screen. I can understand it looks overwhelming but that is because of how the colors on the vehicle are and just the amount of objects that were unwrapped on that texture tile. If you wanna see a cleaner UV map that is easier to understand, I recommend looking at aircraft. They have less complexity and their shape flows better that a tank does. 

Disclaimer: Those files are Gaijins so don't do anything with them except for texturing. 

The software that you could use are 3Ds Max, Blender and Krita. They are all free (expect for 3Ds Max but you can get a 3 year student license). I really prefer Krita because is VERY versatile with .tga files. Also, if you plan to texture with a 2D viewport like Krita, Photoshop, GIMP etc. the UV maps have some distortion meaning that the angles between the vertices, or the area on the faces or the shape of the faces may have distorted or changed a bit during the UV unwrap process. That is really the concern that I would have with texturing vehicles in game. BUT, using 3D viewport and having a tangent projection of your texture on the vehicle will minimize distortion. This isn't really possible with Krita though and any other image editing software like Photoshop. 

Thank you so much!  I could not have hoped to get a better response!

• Thanks 1