Jump to content

HP Reverb G2 First Impressions in War Thunder


I have G2 too. I can confirm the impression, very sharp at the center, and tiny sweetspot. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. I can understand someone can find hard the transition from another headset. BEWARE: that is a REALLY DEMANDING headset, running it in steamvr at 100% resolution (more than 3000 x 3000 x eye) may crush almost every rig.

 

Edit: Moreover, it seems that running it downsampled in steamVr (less than 100%) may reduce also the sweetspot size.

 

I'd like to point out that there are ways to place G2 closer to the eyes, mainly by 3D printing custom face masks: 

 

Edited by AudereSemper
Fix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2020 at 17:15, Psusennes said:

Hmm. I was thinking to buy the G2. I have a Rift S and the sound quality is subpar anything I had before.What I am reading here does not convince me.

Short question. Is the G2 a worth replacement of the Rift S or not, uniquely and sole use for DCS, WT, XP and MSFS?

 

It definitely is a huge upgrade from the Rift S. I upgraded from the Rift S to the G2 a week ago and i am blown away, could never go back. Finally i can identify aircraft and spot ground units, even howitzers, could never do that with the Rift. Situational awareness is so much better with a clearer picture.

 

In regards of flight sims however, I am only flying WT at the moment. DCS just doesn't run properly, even if I dial down SteamVR to 50% and lowest graphic settings. Guess I need another PC upgrade for that. Currently using i7 8700k at 4.8GhZ and a 2080ti. For DCS you definitely want the latest Ryzen 7 and a 3090/3080ti when it's out. 

 

But i am enjoying WT so much that even for only WT, the upgrade was definitely worth it. When I get fed up with WT, I can always do my racing sims or Star Wars Squadrons which is also a blast.

Edited by Celestiale
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear ya Celestiale!  Sad when an i7 at 4.4ghz, and a 1080ti won't push a game:)  DCS gives us all fits...and hopefully their "recode"/new engine will make it better for VR.   WT is by far (IMO) the best at VR support....

Love my G2..hate the smaller spot though....cut my eyes quite a bit checking 6.... :)

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2021 at 09:51, Celestiale said:

For DCS you definitely want the latest Ryzen 7 and a 3090/3080ti when it's out.

 

The RTX 3090 at the moment isn't just enough, not for lack of power but due to the poor optimization of the engine. You can run WT at 100% resolution with 3090, because it has a far better optimization. Implementation of the Vulkan API in the first case may help, is scheduled for second half 2021. Let's see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2021 at 10:04, AudereSemper said:

 

The RTX 3090 at the moment isn't just enough, not for lack of power but due to the poor optimization of the engine. You can run WT at 100% resolution with 3090, because it has a far better optimization. Implementation of the Vulkan API in the first case may help, is scheduled for second half 2021. Let's see.

 

Yeah, let's hope there is a light on in the end of the tunnel. I hate being forced to play WT and not being able to enjoy DCS and IL2 in VR..

  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2021 at 11:04, Celestiale said:

 

Yeah, let's hope there is a light on in the end of the tunnel. I hate being forced to play WT and not being able to enjoy DCS and IL2 in VR..

Just wait until Q3. That's when the engine overhaul in DCS should happen. But WT still has it's purpose. It's nice to hop in from time to time and have an easy evening just blazing some stuff out of the sky.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2021 at 19:38, nazradu2 said:

Just wait until Q3. That's when the engine overhaul in DCS should happen. But WT still has it's purpose. It's nice to hop in from time to time and have an easy evening just blazing some stuff out of the sky.

You're not in the right rooms then unless it's you choosing to be alone blazing the AI....:)

I'm planning to get my first VR headset and new PC to match in a month or two. I remember the game-changing purchace of Track-ir in old IL-2 and what an immersion boost that was. Must be nearly 15 years ago ffs! If the HP G2 gives me a quarter of the immersion improvement that the old headtracker did it's a steal at the price.Track-ir helped my flying too, much more intuitive than your thumb on a hatswitch. I'm not expecting the same improvement to my flying with a VR headset.....but I'm hoping.

Edited by Gadjeman
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gadjeman said:

You're not in the right rooms then unless it's you choosing to be alone blazing the AI....:)

I'm planning to get my first VR headset and new PC to match in a month or two. I remember the game-changing purchace of Track-ir in old IL-2 and what an immersion boost that was. Must be nearly 15 years ago ffs! If the HP G2 gives me a quarter of the immersion improvement that the old headtracker did it's a steal at the price.Track-ir helped my flying too, much more intuitive than your thumb on a hatswitch. I'm not expecting the same improvement to my flying with a VR headset.....but I'm hoping.

 

Two things to this post:

1. Immersion: The immersion of VR over pancake is a lot, lot bigger then TrackIR over non-TrackIR. This is not even comparable. With VR you are in the plane, period.

2. Performance as a pilot: This will most likely go down (even though in War Thunder less then in all other sims). IDing other aircraft is harder, checking 6 is harder (this is a biggy), and the effort to just look all around and maintain a good situational awareness is a lot higher. You are definitely more endangeroud to get jumped unless you are very very strict and take the effort to check your 6 regularly. You really start to relish the mirrors in aircraft, when available.

I for one don't care about myself being a little less competent then before, could never go back to pancake flying. But I know some gloryhunters from IL2 Great Battles that went back to pancake when they realized they are not as much sealclubbing as before. 

  • Thanks 1
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2021 at 08:41, Celestiale said:

2. Performance as a pilot: This will most likely go down (even though in War Thunder less then in all other sims). IDing other aircraft is harder, checking 6 is harder (this is a biggy), and the effort to just look all around and maintain a good situational awareness is a lot higher. You are definitely more endangeroud to get jumped unless you are very very strict and take the effort to check your 6 regularly. You really start to relish the mirrors in aircraft, when available.

I for one don't care about myself being a little less competent then before, could never go back to pancake flying. But I know some gloryhunters from IL2 Great Battles that went back to pancake when they realized they are not as much sealclubbing as before. 

Sorry but this is absolute not true. Situational awareness increases massive with VR especialy in War Thunder where dots are huge. It's almost impossible to overlook any plane in VR as the dots are so prominent. Also you always have a better understanding of relations as everything is always in relation to your own seat. Piloting improves massive in VR.

  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2021 at 14:28, nazradu2 said:

Sorry but this is absolute not true. Situational awareness increases massive with VR especialy in War Thunder where dots are huge. It's almost impossible to overlook any plane in VR as the dots are so prominent. Also you always have a better understanding of relations as everything is always in relation to your own seat. Piloting improves massive in VR.

No it does not. The dots are bigger but visible from the same distance as on a monitor, so that is a draw on that front.

In terms of checking your surroundings TrackIR is definitely superior..within a fraction of a second you can look all around you and check your 6. It is a lot easier to jump a VR player then a TrackIR player, they will almost always see you coming. With TrackIR when I had a 6 i used to manouver looking back basically all the time, spotting and dodging the enemy shots, exactly knowing what the enemy does at every second. Try that with VR, you will hit the deck in an instant (unless you have your hotas and pedals on a swivel, which i guess barely anyone has). On a monitor you will be able to ID aircraft over large distances, this is also not possible in VR, not even with the G2. 

In other flight sims (DCS, IL2) the VR implementation is worse and the disadvantages in VR are a lot more prominent then in War Thunder. I was one of the top 3% pilots in IL2 using TrackIR and went to maximum average with VR. 

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2021 at 00:28, nazradu2 said:

Situational awareness increases massive with VR especialy in War Thunder where dots are huge. It's almost impossible to overlook any plane in VR as the dots are so prominent. Also you always have a better understanding of relations as everything is always in relation to your own seat. Piloting improves massive in VR.

 

100% agree

On 29/01/2021 at 07:47, Dobs_ said:

Love my G2..hate the smaller spot though

 

I bought a new Rift S that came bricked out of the box, in the process of sending it back, I was going to go the HP G2 but after reading this thread again I feel i'm better off just holding on to my CV1 for now.

 

medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the question pancake vs VR. I tried, after almost three years of VR, to play on my 1440p ultra wide screen. And the spotting is terrible. I losty targets so often, because of these tiny dots and in addition to that I feel disconnected from the airframe. I don't know If a lower res would make it better, but this was a terrible experience.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...