HP Reverb G2 First Impressions in War Thunder

I just received my G2 last night. I am coming from an Oculus Rift S running an AMD 3950X and RTX 2080 at 1.5 Pixel Per Display Pixel Override and all WT settings on movie except for SSAA and Vsync which are off . I'm very happy with this setup.

I ONLY play flight sims like War Thunder and IL2. The Rift S has a very wide area where it is "sharp" in the middle and the G2 has a smaller "sweet spot" in the middle that is sharp. Yes, the G2 is much sharper and you can't see pixels but it's only sharp in this "sweet spot".

You do need to move the headset around a bit to make sure it's on perfectly straight so you take advantage of this sweet spot thing. But when you look around with your eyes without turning your head things are unnaturally blurry. It's almost like focus tunnel vision.

If you are looking straight ahead and then you look down with your eyes at your gauges they are slightly blurry. You physically need to turn your head towards whatever you want to look at for it to be sharp. It feels like only 20% of the center is sharp but this is just my perception.

It is a very unnatural concept and my brain is having a hard time processing it. Even if your head is turned a little bit whatever is out of the center of the screen is slightly blurry. Yes, I have adjusted the IPD and I do wear glasses (because awesome people wear glasses). My glasses fit perfectly inside the G2 like they were made to go inside of it. Although I find the Rift S to be MUCH better if you do wear glasses. It's a bit snug in the G2.

I went back to my Oculus Rift S and yep, everything is just sharp when you look around with your eyes.

I did have a ****** of a time getting the G2 to work because of conflicts with Oculus settings so maybe there is some odd setting that is not right which creates this small sweet spot?

Maybe I am being to analytical right now as a new G2 user and maybe I should just play for a while will get used to it? But right now it's very strange to see blurry gauges unless I am looking directly at it. My brain is having a hard time comprehending why what I am looking at is blurry until I turn my head.

If this super sharp center sweet spot thing is the price we have to pay for a super sharp VR experience I'm not sure it is ready yet.

Update: I just went back to my Oculus Rift S for a few hours in War Thunder. Very immersive. Then I threw the Reverb G2 on and the small sweet spot is irritatingly noticeable in a flight sim. Maybe if you were playing a game where you did not need to look down at gauges it would be ok. But the fact that things are BLURRY outside of the very center of the screen ruins the immersion for me. I'm done with this thing.

I'm not sure if the G2 is right for me. I might just put it up for sale tomorrow and be done with it. I would love to hear some other opinions and experiences with it. The reviewers all say it's "the best headset ever" for sim. But this sweet spot thing makes me feel like i'm in a focus tunnel.

Note: Take all of this information with a grain of salt. These are my first impressions and I have lived inside of a Rift S for about 1,000 hours at this point. I don't mean to be hyperbolic with my feedback but I am a bit frustrated after hearing all the hype surrounding this headset and I may be suffering from a bit of buyers remorse. I would love to hear feedback from other users about their experiences with the G2 in War Thunder.

Edited by Rub_n_Tug
  • Upvote 1

I am glad and sad at the same time. Glad that this post did not feed my personal hype train as this thing is quite expensive. Sad that it does not push VR to the next level without flaws.

What about rendering of distant objects? Do you see any improvements here over the Rift S?

medal medal medal

Yes, everything in the center of your view is shockingly sharp! You don't see pixels. It's lovely! Really, if you are only looking at the center of the view it is a wonderful experience (pr0n).

But when you are flying a plane you keep your eyes on your target - you glance in other directions to look for other enemy or you glance at your gauges to check your speed and it's blurry.

My eyes are always moving when I fly. The fact that only the very center is sharp and it gets increasingly blurry as you move outwards is just not right for me in War Thunder.

It's really hard to explain... Focus tunnel.

Edited by Rub_n_Tug

37 minutes ago, Rub_n_Tug said:

Yes, everything in the center of your view is shockingly sharp! You don't see pixels. It's lovely! Really, if you are only looking at the center of the view it is a wonderful experience (pr0n).

But when you are flying a plane you keep your eyes on your target - you glance in other directions to look for other enemy or you glance at your gauges to check your speed and it's blurry.

My eyes are always moving when I fly. The fact that only the very center is sharp and it gets increasingly blurry as you move outwards is just not right for me in War Thunder.

It's really hard to explain... Focus tunnel.

I know what you mean. In the Rift S only the edges are blurry to me. If you would give a percentage of clear vision in the FOV, how would you compare the two HMDs?

medal medal medal

5 hours ago, Rub_n_Tug said:

I ONLY play flight sims like War Thunder and IL2

Then why didn't you get only Index headset with sensors? Of course your review is important for other players, I know G2 is higher res but Index has higher refresh rate which is crucial in sim imo. Index also has a larger FOV and only the very edges are blurry, I track most of the things just with my eyes. Yes its bulky but it wouldn't break your neck, also base stations>inside out tracking.

Just curious why?

medal medal medal

1 hour ago, _Thrash_ said:

Then why didn't you get only Index headset with sensors? Of course your review is important for other players, I know G2 is higher res but Index has higher refresh rate which is crucial in sim imo. Index also has a larger FOV and only the very edges are blurry, I track most of the things just with my eyes. Yes its bulky but it wouldn't break your neck, also base stations>inside out tracking.

Just curious why?

Price and the promised high res I guess. But somehow they screwed up the performance, so I don't know how long I will keep in playing. The good VR performance was the thing that prevented me from fully comitting to DCS.

Edited by nazradu2
medal medal medal

This is why I am sticking with my Rift S for now. It offers decent all around resolution without the "focus tunnel". With the way VR tech is progressing everything is technically superseded every 6-12 months anyway. So I think the plan for me is to give it another 18 months at least before I look to upgrade from the S.

medal medal medal

This is pretty disappointing to hear, and honestly, quite surprising. 
For the life of me, I cannot find a single person mention having a similar experience with the G2. I know a lot of it is hype, but all I can find is simmers using it and praising the clarity, and putting it above all the rest in every regard.
Is there any possibility that yours has a defect? Or maybe some issue with the VR lens and your glasses combined, causing your vision to only focus in the center?
I'm not denying your experience, I just don't understand how I have not heard this from any other review out there.

medal medal

So I can ditto the OP's impression.  

It does take getting used to, and another squaddie has had his since Monday. He said after the first "day" of playing, it wasn't noticeable. I was critical at first, but after 2 hours of playing I found he was correct.  

Its not that the OP is wrong...he is 100% spot on.  It just takes getting used to.  

You can also boost the resolution (system permitting) and the sweet spot grows...Squaddie went to 60hz and 3500x3500 and said it looked amazing....I tried, but I see flicker at 60hz (I'm the weird guy who could walk into a room of computers (CRTs) and pick out the ones set below 75hz from across the room).  At 60hz refresh (set via controls) no fps issue.  At 90hz refresh and at 3000x3000 my 1080ti was dropping frames...  I'm at 2700x2700ish right now, and only when really close to a fireball do I see any fps drops.

The quote which got my attention was "even though its blurry out of the sweet spot, its like looking at the Rift S"...which is pretty accurate. 

Now to find a 3080 and push these goggles up in rez even more:)

So the issue is looking over shoulder, at limit of stretch, and not being able to get a "clear" picture because you are looking with your eyes vs centering up the  view....

Oh and Audio is good, and mic is strong.  I no longer have to have my HyperX headset strapped to my VR goggles like I did with my Rift S due to the abortion of the sound system that they used....

medal medal medal

2 hours ago, nazradu2 said:

@Dobs_
so you das it's not good and I can save my money and move on :)

Its a coin toss...WHEN I get my 3080 it will be much better than my Rift S.  Just spent an hour and half flying and I must say, no drawbacks noted while fighting.  It is different than Rift S, better in some way....and maybe worse  in others.  But Pro's will be better than cons once I move up from my 1080ti to a 3080 (who would have thought I'd be saying that 2 years ago!).....

medal medal medal

59 minutes ago, Dobs_ said:

Its a coin toss...WHEN I get my 3080 it will be much better than my Rift S.  Just spent an hour and half flying and I must say, no drawbacks noted while fighting.  It is different than Rift S, better in some way....and maybe worse  in others.  But Pro's will be better than cons once I move up from my 1080ti to a 3080 (who would have thought I'd be saying that 2 years ago!).....

That's a big Investment bro. I can hardly resist but maybe its a smart move to wait a little bit longer. What I realy wish for is more sharpness in the far distance. How do you feel about this with the G2?

medal medal medal

I put it up on a local site for the price I paid for it: sold it in 5 hours without question. I wanted to pass it on to another buyer while I could still say it was in "like new" condition.

Maybe if I was able to run out and throw money at a 3080 I might have had given it more time... but it's almost impossible to buy a 3080 retail right now.

Again, the center is AWESOME! But while I'm flying I constantly glance down at my gauges with my eyes and it is really odd to see them blurry unless you turn your head towards them. I'm not a fan of this. Maybe this won't bother other people as much as it bothers me.

Right now the 2080 and Rift S are perfectly fine for me at 1.5 Pixel Override.

Other things to note:

- SteamVR runs like **** on my system. War Thunder and Oculus run just fine without SteamVR getting in the way. As soon as I run SteamVR I get stutters and frame drops. I have wasted far too many hours of my life trying to troubleshoot SteamVR and why it causes stutters but I never found a 100% fix. But the solution for me is: Don't ***** run SteamVR because you don't need it to run War Thunder with the Rift S. As far as I know... The Reverb G2 requires SteamVR to run. I had odd issues where I couldn't see the cursor in the headset but I could see it on the screen. I'm just don't have time in my life to troubleshoot SteamVR anymore.

- Every time I hear a reviewer say "the speakers are incredible" I want to punch them in the face. As soon as I heard the G2 speakers I was immediately disappointed because I play with earbuds and the G2 headphone experience is completely different. They are not loud enough and I can't localize sounds on them at all. The headphone jack on the side of the Rift S is invaluable! Nothing will ever beat earbuds in VR for me. The G2 does not have an headphone jack so you need to be sure you have a jack close to where you play. Do not plan to play War Thunder with the built in earphones on a headset. I recommend using decent quality earbuds.

- I wear glasses with a mild correction. They are a medium size frame. They fit *perfectly* into the G2 but it's a bit too snug to say it was "comfortable"... Especially when you are constantly moving the headset around trying to make sure you are looking at the sweet spot. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy using the G2 for long periods wearing my glasses. The Rift S is definitely MUCH more comfortable if you wear glasses.

Edited by Rub_n_Tug

10 hours ago, Rub_n_Tug said:

I put it up on a local site for the price I paid for it: sold it

I'm glad you didn't waste money

SteamVR runs like **** on my system

This is kinda odd, except few maps I run on 90 fps and I'm running WT on 1080ti/Valve index but its always tweaking this, tweaking that. Some maps like Stalingrad, Port Moresby always have performance issues but strangely Stalingrad Winter runs at steady 90 fps. But on the other hand games like Half Life Alyx works at 120fps so its partially steamvr partially WT.

"the speakers are incredible"

Valve Index

I wear glasses with a mild correction.

I also have mild myopia with astigmatism, @ZenBird suggested prescription lenses from this site. First I was skeptical but apparently it is true, after checking it with my glasses I realized the view was much more clearer.  https://widmovr.com/product/valve-index-prescription-lens-adapters/

Unfortunately I have a massive head and headset is already stretched to the limit there is no room left for the glasses so I have to order these lenses too.

medal medal medal

Interesting. I'm still waiting for my reverb g2. Not sure if it will be worth the wait and the money i paid but i'll give it a try. Fortunately i have 30 days return warranty.

On 20/11/2020 at 20:31, Rub_n_Tug said:

- SteamVR runs like **** on my system. War Thunder and Oculus run just fine without SteamVR getting in the way. As soon as I run SteamVR I get stutters and frame drops. I have wasted far too many hours of my life trying to troubleshoot SteamVR and why it causes stutters but I never found a 100% fix.

Might be the driver issue. Try downgrade it to 446.14 or lower version. For rtx 3xxx series card you will need to wait for a fix from nvidia.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Anwar_Effendi said:

Might be the driver issue. Try downgrade it to 446.14 or lower version. For rtx 3xxx series card you will need to wait for a fix from nvidia.

I've spent hours and hours (and hours and hours) trying to find out why SteamVR runs poorly. I've been through several driver versions by now. Solution for me is simply not to use it because it's not required with the Rift S. (When all else fails, blame Nvidia).

Edited by Rub_n_Tug

Rolled back to 456.55 and that helped me out..

On 20/11/2020 at 14:43, nazradu2 said:

That's a big Investment bro. I can hardly resist but maybe its a smart move to wait a little bit longer. What I realy wish for is more sharpness in the far distance. How do you feel about this with the G2?

Much improved....

medal medal medal

Hmm. I was thinking to buy the G2. I have a Rift S and the sound quality is subpar anything I had before.What I am reading here does not convince me.

Short question. Is the G2 a worth replacement of the Rift S or not, uniquely and sole use for DCS, WT, XP and MSFS?

medal medal medal

50 minutes ago, Psusennes said:

Hmm. I was thinking to buy the G2. I have a Rift S and the sound quality is subpar anything I had before.What I am reading here does not convince me.

Short question. Is the G2 a worth replacement of the Rift S or not, uniquely and sole use for DCS, WT, XP and MSFS?

I am using this for sound with the Rift S

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07C9RGJGJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_1X-UFbD2CXFS9

Made for PS VR but does fit nicely on the Rift S.

medal medal medal

The key to a good experience in War Thunder with the G2 if you don't have an RTX 30 series is to run at 60Hz.

With my 1080Ti and the G2 set to 60Hz, I can crank the G2 up to 3800 x 3800 resolution in SteamVR and fly butter smooth with incredible clarity. World's better than the Rift S.

If you are running 90Hz in the G2 for ANY reason other than you are sensitive to lower refresh rates, you are screwing yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The reason why some people get the very small sweetspot and only sharp image in the middle, but others get a wider sweetspot and sharper image towards the edges is due to the distance of the eyes to the lenses. And this can vary a lot depending on your headshape, to be more specific, the position of your eyes within your skull.

Some people have very "set back" eyes within their skull, these will have these sight problems with the G2. Others have more "oozed out" eyes which cause a closer distance to the lenses and less problems.

Seems, they had exactly one tester back at their QA with oozed out eyes, otherwise this unit would have never made it to production.

Luckily i have kinda oozed out eyes as well (my eyelashes are touching the lenses of my Oculus when playing), so I hope i won't encounter these problems. Getting my unit today and will write my experience here.

For people that have more set-back eyes, there are third party face gaskets out there to get rid of the problems and also increase the FoV. I'll test this as well. 

medal medal