Another game update but no improvements to Assault Tank Arcade

llSolitairell@psn

I used to think all kinds of stuff was going on.  Now I think they tank the match so they can collect their booster and get out.

Wrong specific forum but I think many in Air Assault run about 50-75% power so others will bear the brunt of the first bomber waves.  It usually subsides a little later about the time they are just conveniently at low altitude or luffing again waiting for a bomber wave to finish the game so they can leave.  I'm pretty sure that many are just too lazy to put out an effort and spend the 25+ minutes required to win.  With the exception of the increasing numbers of tanks (over 400 per game now) I don't think it has ever been easier to win.

Why in the world these guys stay inside the perimeter is beyond me.  It's so much harder to kill frontal targets.  The winning games usually have a lot of flankers, getting into the surrounding terrain and killing with broadside hits as fast as you can reload.  Truthfully there isn't a need for even one tank to stay 'inside'.   The same people are usually taking up fighters and competing with friendly ground AA for air kills.  Jeez, if you can't take a bomber and do some good, let someone else take that time slot and use a bomber.

740553682_shot2020_11_0808_54_02.thumb.j

Older one, but no, a team where everyone is trying to win is probably 1/500 games. I can tell you for sure that I probably had a team like that sometimes at the beginning of the year.

That's why wave numbers also matter since usually half the team has to carry the deadweight other half and now with the regen bug included it's borderline insane. 

medal medal medal

Tell me about it :facepalm:

I win probably 1 in 50 games, but I'm sometimes so far ahead of the rest of the team it's genuinely embarrassing. We're sometimes talking several thousand points.

The explanation is simple.

Hardly anyone ever leaves the "safety" of the point. They huddle together high up there in full view of the enemy, waiting for the fighter bombers to dump on them. They repeatedly bounce off frontal armour as the wave gets closer and closer.

3000-4000 point rounds aren't that difficult to attain. Get off the point and explore the map over a few rounds (expecting to get blown up a lot, but hey this is research!). Find cover where you can pop out and see the sides of the enemy vehicles as they rumble past. No tank can withstand a round sent directly into its side into its ammo rack, even from the other side of the map. There's no problem with mysteriously regenerating AI crews if they've just been burned to a crisp and the turret is 30 feet in the air!  Roll out of cover, take the shot, immediately roll back into cover to reload, repeat. Cover is paramount. The AI very quickly loses interest in what it cannot see, and your reload time is plenty. This is ALL I do to get big scores.

Example #1: in Ardennes, there are villages to the east and north. Both are easily reachable before the first wave starts shooting, and provide excellent flanking positions for waves coming in from several directions. Pro tip: you can also safely commute between villages across the fields to the east to help out your team because no waves ever come from the East. How long that will hold true, I don't know, but as of today it's OK.

Example #2: in Mozdok, there are plenty of hills and valleys to the east that provide cover and superb flanking views of nearly the entire battlefield as waves roll in. Pro tip: There's a repeating sequence to the waves, currently beginning with Waffentragers, so you can anticipate them and where they'll come from, and go from position to position picking them off as they come closer.

Example #3: In Sinai, there are good positions in the rocks to the north, west, and up the hill to the south. Use the map because they're probably not in the directions you're thinking of! They're easily reachable with even a King Tiger either at the start of the round or near the end of a wave. You just have to time it and keep an eye out for your chance to move.

Oh, and if you're a crack shot with AA and intend to keep the skies clear for the team, announce it at the start of a round. It's always very much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

I play air and tank assault in mid- and lower tiers. Tank assault is virtually unwinnable nowadays on any BR and any map. I get a bit more wins in air assault, but still woefully inadequate. If new players who are not confident enough about facing human opponents and instead try Assault in its current poor state, many would not be motivated to continue playing and spending money on War Thunder. By not repairing the Assault mode Gaijin are basically turning customers away.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, Wilhelm_Schultz said:

U win 1 out of 20 using apache?

I don't always use the Apache

and I'm guessing the other 2 premium Apaches on that team manage closer to 0

3 hours ago, qpranger said:

I play air and tank assault in mid- and lower tiers. Tank assault is virtually unwinnable nowadays on any BR and any map. I get a bit more wins in air assault, but still woefully inadequate. If new players who are not confident enough about facing human opponents and instead try Assault in its current poor state, many would not be motivated to continue playing and spending money on War Thunder. By not repairing the Assault mode Gaijin are basically turning customers away.

In a weird turnaround, earlier in the year is was Air Assault I could never get a win whereas now I get wins more often than ground, a gunpod Phantom or 2 on your team and you're good to go most of the time.

I just don't play it too often because it's incredibly tedious

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hi, I've been reading the update changelog and it seems that they haven't changed or fixed any problems in this game mode.

I also did not see that they added any new map, what a disappointment, I had a little hope that they had at least fixed some of the problems that we have been talking about for so many months.

It appears to be just a facial retouch of the game and nothing more.. :facepalm:

I like that now the wrecks stay on map.

- But why is the AI still able to shoot through them? I mean the front turret armor of an Leo 2A5 is realy hard to pen if it is alive. Then why can the AI pen it when it is a wreckage?

- AI regeneration of subsystem and crew is unrealistic unfair and it will give some indeviduals the possibility to get behind this mechanic (or Bug?) and create a hack! All the hacks using implementet mechanics to work and this is another one waiting to ruin the fun of fair players.

- The aiming and accuracy of the AI is also a problem. You can only shoot things you have some sort of visual or knowledge of the targets position. But they shoot without any of them.

- Spawn: The spawnsystem for Players are utterly one of the biggest BS in games! You die, you respawn in front of all the remaining enemies and befor you get into cover the sapwn protection (if it decides to work) ends and you get shot multiple time and die again, which makes it impossible to join again and help the team during a wave.

- Using fighter to fight of AI planes: Useless. Because of the flight patch and the short time you have.

- SL and costs of tanks: 35k SL for a win. OK but 40k costs because you want to help fight of planes using AA. The Gepard for example costs around 5.5k to use. The ability to counter tanks is limited. 40 round of APDS. (In reality he has 1000 round of AP) reloading is suicide because of the enemy waves. Which means he is bound to fight planes instead and can't make point killing tanks. 

And that means it is unattractive to play AA.

Dear GJ. Listen to the players which play the game and make it sustainable. Without us players warthunder will die! Do it fast befor the last hardcore fan is fed up and gives up.

1 hour ago, qpranger said:

Looks photoshopped.

Or hax.

It's not. I just play with a squad consisting of me and two of my friends who are very experienced in this mode. We have all been playing it for years.

Though recently, my friend has been carrying me since I'm grinding SPAA and other useless types of tanks

medal

Geez, what time of day/time zone do you play?  I'd love a chance to get in on that. 

Once the spading is done for a particular vehicle, I generally never take it back into assault.

2 hours ago, V45Magna said:

Geez, what time of day/time zone do you play?  I'd love a chance to get in on that. 

Once the spading is done for a particular vehicle, I generally never take it back into assault.

We usually play 11PM-4AM EST time. We won't squad with you but if you queue only US servers at those times you might be able to join us on our carrying spree.

32 minutes ago, llSolitairell@psn said:

(¬_¬)

It's more fun with friends

medal

4 hours ago, Wilhelm_Schultz said:

We usually play 11PM-4AM EST time. We won't squad with you but if you queue only US servers at those times you might be able to join us on our carrying spree.

It's more fun with friends

Yeah, squading not necessary.   It's just good to have an idea of when folks who might actually give a damn might be playing, thanks!

I played with a new premium yesterday and lost the tank 3 times with only 1 kill and 1 assist to my name.

I move out of spawn in to a collection of houses but with reds coming from 3 directions and planes overhead I completely failed.

In PvP I get more SL, more research and survive on 3 tanks to the end of the game normally.

I guess to a degree this is a learn to play issue on my part but I do better in PvP matches so why bother?

Cheers

medal medal medal medal

It is a brutal mode when you first try it, but you learn the routines pretty quickly. On most maps it is useful to move out of the base square for better flanking shots, but sometimes there is not enough time to do this at the start.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I always spam chat in order to get people out of lazy mode to flank. In low tier, if you have 3 competent players you can easily win. (BTW, does it make a difference winning in tier 2 or in tier 7 for the rewards?)

Edited by Eye_of_Aarran