Game launcher won't launch after "updating vulkan shaders" every time

Very recently (as of today, I played yesterday) the game dies after "updating vulkan shaders".  As in, steam tries to launch it, and then it just immediately dies with no indication of why.

I'm not even sure how to begin to troubleshoot this, but since this game is getting me through covid, I'd really like to get it fixed.

I am playing via steam on ubuntu 18.04

nvidia 1060 card, 16gb ram,

i7-3770

Help? Please?

2020_11_12_14_02_26__6048.clog

• Upvote 2

Hello @qksvlrw0lf,

I just tried my Steam WT install and it's now doing the same as yours. I will investigate this issue, In the mean time as a workaround, You should be able to launch the game directly by going into your main "WarThunder" directory (Located here for Steam installs: .local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/War Thunder) and execute the "launcher" executable. Double clicking it should work or running "./launcher" in a terminal in the same directory.

• Upvote 1

Thank you !  Ok, so that's got me halfway there, but has revealed another problem.

I have dual 4k monitors. I reinstalled the game while trying to get this to work. It blew away my video config.

Previously, I had done what you recommended here:

And just manually put in the 3840x2160 in the config.blk file. HOwever, now, whenever I launch the game with that, it updates to to 7840 and tries to spread it across both monitors, but will only show it on the left one. 

I did a little more research, and removing write persmission from that file will launch things ok. My graphics feel....weird, though.

Thank you again for your quick response!

If your using GNOME fractional scaling or scaling it has a bug that confuses NVIDIA's driver viewport into setting incorrect resolutions for games. 

Edited by The_Riddick
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'm having the same issue. Two days ago, War Thunder was launching without issues via Linux Steam, but since yesterday when I try it shows the "Vulkan Shaders" window and then silently crashes.

Xubuntu 20.04.01

Nvidia GTX 970 with driver 455.38 (updated today, different driver yesterday when I was having the same issue)

I can launch the game by running the "aces" executable from the command line, but this is the output I receive when doing so:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.
Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.

Then the game launches, but when I'm done playing, exiting the game also doesn't work. I'm forced to go back to the command line and use CTL-C to terminate the application. Any ideas? Any more info you need from me?

EDIT: I added a "steam_appid.txt" file with the game's appid to both the base game directory and "linux64" directories, but neither changed the outcome: the game still won't launch unless I do so from the command line.

Edited by derklempner
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Same issue here
But I can NOT start the game even directly from folder

OS - KDE Neon 5.20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04LTS)

~$ inxi -F
System:    Host: Ordi-laptop Kernel: 5.4.0-53-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.3 Distro: KDE neon 20.04 5.20 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Notebook product: N85_N87,HJ,HJ1,HK1 v: N/A serial: 
<superuser
/
root

required
>

Mobo: Notebook model: N85_N87,HJ,HJ1,HK1 serial: 
<superuser
/
root

required
>
 UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1.05.01 
           date: 12/13/2016 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 49.8 Wh condition: 49.8/59.9 Wh (83%) 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-7700HQ bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 5: 801 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 455.38 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa tty: N/A 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 455.38 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel CM238 HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-53-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
           IF: enp3s0f1 state: down mac: 80:fa:5b:41:02:fe 
           Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi 
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: 00:28:f8:38:0d:33 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.36 TiB used: 522.18 GiB (37.4%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB size: 465.76 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: HGST (Hitachi) model: HTS721010A9E630 size: 931.51 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 46.68 GiB used: 21.26 GiB (45.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
           ID-2: /home size: 147.89 GiB used: 81.86 GiB (55.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 15.26 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 48 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 275 Uptime: 12m Memory: 15.40 GiB used: 1.93 GiB (12.6%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38

WT is installed and played through Steam
Almost a year no problem, but suddenly now the launcher simply does not launch the game.
After reinstalling the game starts from desktop shortcut (and I can play) just ONLY ONCE !!
Second attempt to start - nothing.
No new .clog or .dmp or other logfiles appear. Only thing what I can found, is few rows from syslog and kernel logfile:

Nov 13 12:16:39 Ordi-laptop systemd[1373]: Started War Thunder.
Nov 13 12:16:43 Ordi-laptop systemd[1373]: app-war\x20thunder-4655d5bf95284373ae67e37561f33230.scope: Succeeded.
Nov 13 12:17:01 Ordi-laptop CRON[11026]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 13 12:17:16 Ordi-laptop kernel: [ 3172.607614] launcher[11077]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000001397c8e sp 00007ffc9c20a850 error 4 in launcher[400000+129a000]

When I start launcher directly from terminal, then "empty launcher with only borders" appears (screenshot attached) and after some time it closes with "Segmentation fault" message in terminal

Screenshot_20201113_123502.thumb.png.7f5

[email protected]:~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/War Thunder$ ./launcher
Segmentation fault

I this case also some new log and fatal.txt files appeared (attached also)

2020_11_13_12_01_46_9062.txt 5454bb76-96be-fb77-08418f58-7208f81f.dmp 2020_11_13_12_01_46_9062.fatal.txt

EDIT: I managed to start the game. I added to main game folder (~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/War Thunder) little file: steam_appid.txt , containing only 236390 and after that I can launch game from folder ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/War Thunder/linux64 with command ./aces -resolution:1920x1080 (I need add resolution, because by default it is wrong)

It means that game itself is fine and problem is in launcher.

Edited by MetsaVend88
new information

@qksvlrw0lf,

Right, I have forwarded this issue now.

@derklempner,

Executing the "launcher" executable directly should work still. As said above I have forwarded the issue.

@MetsaVend88,

Could you please submit a bug report regarding the empty launcher window in the moderated bug reports section?

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/forum/920-linux/

• Like 2

A work around if you can't get the launcher to work is to use the outdated launcher in `./update/bak`. Not sure if it helps but it worked for me. Also doesn't have the crash that occurred under the most recent launcher.

Edited by Fluffy_Bucketles
Addition
  • Like 1

I have the same problem since the today on Thursday I could play with no issue. And then today the Vulcan update window appears and since then its broken. I hope there will be a Solution soon.

Edit:

Here are my Setup:

Kernel: 5.8.0-7630-generic
Uptime: 5 hours, 58 mins
Packages: 2340 (dpkg), 47 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.0.17
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 3.38.1
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Pop
Theme: Pop-dark [GTK2/3]
Icons: Pop [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: AMD FX-8350 (8) @ 4.000GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Memory: 6828MiB / 15906MiB

In the Meantime I played around with Proton 5. 13 -2  or the Steam Linux runtime. With Steam Linux runtime nothing happens when I try to start War Thunder. If I try the same with Proton 5. 13-2 it says the launcher.exe is missing. Maybe this is a helpful thing.

bpreport.log

Edited by _3FTL_Nighti69

7 hours ago, apemax said:

@derklempner,

Executing the "launcher" executable directly should work still. As said above I have forwarded the issue.

Using the "launcher" executable makes all three of my monitors go black with the following output from the CLI:

INTEL-MESA: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete
INTEL-MESA: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete

I can kill the process with a CTL-C from the CLI. Only the "aces" executable in the "linux64" directory will launch the game. This may be an issue for me if an update is pushed and my game is no longer compatible. Just an FYI.

CORRECTION: When I try to launch it with the "aces" executable, I now get the following errors:

aces_error_1.thumb.png.db77b7b30badda079

aces_error_2.thumb.png.29bcbfab9d3fb323d

The game will not launch at all now.

Edited by derklempner

6 hours ago, Fluffy_Bucketles said:

A work around if you can't get the launcher to work is to use the outdated launcher in `./update/bak`. Not sure if it helps but it worked for me. Also doesn't have the crash that occurred under the most recent launcher.

But every time when you run the outdated launcher, it is constantly updated to the most recent version which is giving al these errors.

@Fluffy_Bucketles, @_3FTL_Nighti69,

Could you both please post your full system information and your latest launcher log file?

@derklempner,

That message looks like you are running it on a Intel iGPU, Yet you said you had a GTX 970 in you previous post? Unless I'm missing something?

The black screen issue only happens when the launcher window is in focus, So if you alt-tab away to a different window it should make it display normally again.

Going from OpenGPL to Vulkan

I think that's what they did.

This worked:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-amd-drivers-on-debian-10-buster

1.  Edit

/etc/apt/sources.list

add:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free

apt update

apt install firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree libdrm-amdgpu1 xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu

reboot computer

apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers libvulkan1 vulkan-tools vulkan-utils vulkan-validationlayers

4a.  reboot computer

5.  Game Launcher displays, but the entire screen goes "Blank" so I have to [ALT][TAB] to another open window or hit the [Win] key to show the desktop.  The screen isn't really blank, its just 'hogged up' by the game launcher, so every time I make a selection on the game launcher the screen goes 'Blank'  I usually don't hit anything other than 'Play' anyway.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, apemax said:

That message looks like you are running it on a Intel iGPU, Yet you said you had a GTX 970 in you previous post? Unless I'm missing something?

The black screen issue only happens when the launcher window is in focus, So if you alt-tab away to a different window it should make it display normally again.

Yes, I have a GTX 970, and I was equally confused by the output. I only saw it because you said the "launcher" executable should work, and I hadn't yet tried it. Hence, why I included it. Here's the important specs from screenfetch:

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.4.0-53-generic
DE: Xfce
WM: Xfwm4
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 8x 4GHz [47.0°C]
GPU: GeForce GTX 970 (driver 455.38)
RAM: 3896MiB / 15442MiB

If you need any more PC info, please let me know. Attached is the latest launcher log.

286e9490-0344-0bf4-69e5a653-59ca6962.dmp

Edited by derklempner

20 hours ago, apemax said:

@Fluffy_Bucketles, @_3FTL_Nighti69,

Could you both please post your full system information and your latest launcher log file?

@derklempner,

Here are my Setup:

Kernel: 5.8.0-7630-generic
Uptime: 5 hours, 58 mins
Packages: 2340 (dpkg), 47 (flatpak)
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 3.38.1
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Pop
Theme: Pop-dark [GTK2/3]
Icons: Pop [GTK2/3]
CPU: AMD FX-8350 (8) @ 4.000GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Memory: 6828MiB / 15906MiB

In the Meantime I played around with Proton 5. 13 -2  or the Steam Linux runtime. With Steam Linux runtime nothing happens when I try to start War Thunder. If I try the same with Proton 5. 13-2 it says the launcher.exe is missing. Maybe this is a helpful thing.

bpreport.log

I'm having a similar issue where in once I press play on Steam, the game immediately terminates without launching any new windows (doesn't even get to launcher), but I'd like to add that I can't verify the game files on steam even after completely reinstalling it.

Kernel: 5.4.0-53-generic  
Packages: 2796 (dpkg), 14 (flatpak), 
Resolution: 2560x1080 
DE: Cinnamon 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (12) @ 3.600GH 
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/5 
Memory: 16022MiB 

10 minutes ago, DIY_Miracle said:

I'm having a similar issue where in once I press play on Steam, the game immediately terminates without launching any new windows (doesn't even get to launcher), but I'd like to add that I can't verify the game files on steam even after completely reinstalling it.

Kernel: 5.4.0-53-generic  
Packages: 2796 (dpkg), 14 (flatpak), 
Resolution: 2560x1080 
DE: Cinnamon 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (12) @ 3.600GH 
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/5 
Memory: 16022MiB 

Good point, that's also what's happens in my case, I also can't verify my game files on steam.

• Like 1

@derklempner,

Right, Not sure whats going on there then, When you start the launcher directly and the screen goes black the launcher is still working in the background, If you Alt+Tab to a different window the launcher should display, It only turns the screen black when in focus. So if you start the launcher, Alt+Tab away and let it finish, Then click the "Play" button it should start the game fine.

@_3FTL_Nighti69,

Thank you, Launching the "launcher" executable in your main "War Thunder" directory should work fine for you.

@DIY_Miracle,

Launching the "launcher" executable in your main "War Thunder" directory should work, Although as your DE is Cinnamon you might get the black screen issue, If you do what I have said above in this post you apply to you as well.

Also regarding not being able to verify your War Thunder install via Steam, I don't think that option has ever been there as the launcher handles all of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, apemax said:

@derklempner,

Right, Not sure whats going on there then, When you start the launcher directly and the screen goes black the launcher is still working in the background, If you Alt+Tab to a different window the launcher should display, It only turns the screen black when in focus. So if you start the launcher, Alt+Tab away and let it finish, Then click the "Play" button it should start the game fine.

@_3FTL_Nighti69,

Thank you, Launching the "launcher" executable in your main "War Thunder" directory should work fine for you.

@DIY_Miracle,

Launching the "launcher" executable in your main "War Thunder" directory should work, Although as your DE is Cinnamon you might get the black screen issue, If you do what I have said above in this post you apply to you as well.

Also regarding not being able to verify your War Thunder install via Steam, I don't think that option has ever been there as the launcher handles all of that.

The Workaround works, but I think that this could not be the last solution of this Bug. Is there any hint when or if we get back a working start with the normal Steam launch button?

10 hours ago, apemax said:

@derklempner,

@_3FTL_Nighti69,

@DIY_Miracle,

Launching the launcher from the directory results in a segmentation fault, as reported by others, so that suggestion doesn't seem to work. Which means an update can't occur.

Edited by Fluffy_Bucketles
Correction.

So. Yesterday workaround worked. Game was possible to launch and play. Thus launcher was practically non-functional.

Right now, after update game is covered in black screen same way as launcher rendering it unplayable. Looks like is rendered under black screen covering screen. Content is visible in app preview in task bar and is clickable (sounds etc work).

Interestingly screenshot is captured without problem. Main screen is showing black but screenshot comes out perfectly normal. Same when recording video via OBS.

Changing screen resolutions or windowed/full screen mode does not change anything - or to be precise: full screen does not start at all.

HARDCORE WORKAROUND:

So it might be possible to play using OBS as video capturing app, while sharing stream to twich or youtube and "playing" though that keyhole watching at livestream screen...

Looking for other solutions, thus having other window on top makes game run in background AND being visible, but clicking inside launcher or game instantly blackscreens whole screen.

2020_11_17_11_00_27__113255.clog

I'm also getting the black screen issue, but both at the launcher and after launching the game (either from aces or the launcher). I can see the game is running correctly in the background, but upon focusing the window, both of my screens turn black until I unfocus the game window. I'm using an NVIDIA GTX 1070 with the 455 drivers on the 5.9 kernel, and Vulkan has been configured to work properly as I can use it in other games without issue. I was playing the game normally on OpenGL yesterday, so this is definitely related to the update. Also, I'm using KDE Plasma, so that might be related. I'll try doing more tests later when I'm free. Please let me know if there are logs I should provide. Starting the game through the terminal yielded no useful logs.

P.S.: Thank you apemax for helping out in these forums! I've only been lurking here, but I see you posting in every thread so I just want to say thanks for that :)

• Like 1
medal medal

20 minutes ago, venoma333 said:

I can see the game is running correctly in the background, but upon focusing the window, both of my screens turn black until I unfocus the game window

I set the game to run in windowed mode, so i can actually see what is going on there, and it is absolutely gorgeous now. I went from having "barely playable" (40-some FPS) in ULQ settings to (now) benchmarking 90-70 FPS with graphics set to the default "max" settings. Unfortunately, when focusing the game window itself it all goes black.

4 hours ago, Fluffy_Bucketles said:

Launching the launcher from the directory results in a segmentation fault, as reported by others, so that suggestion doesn't seem to work. Which means an update can't occur.

I had this issue after updating the game and had an error afterwards:

PM: missing picture 'laures/skin#2_0_main_window_bg_art' in static atlas 'laures/skin' (1 pics missing)

downloading a fresh installer from the website and extracting files into my WT directory fixed this issue

Edited by Unaimed73509
medal medal medal