2 hours ago, HMS_Ajax said:

crew spotting range is a thing 

in realistic battles?

nice realism.

My grandfather told me that he almost died in battle - he got out of the tank to look around, and then an enemy tank appeared in an open field.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, PeSeC said:

in realistic battles?

nice realism.

My grandfather told me that he almost died in battle - he got out of the tank to look around, and then an enemy tank appeared in an open field.

yea your keen vision affects what you can see at distance, its a dumb system tell me about it, but how else is gaijin supposed to encourage crew training.. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I have noticed this only recently. Actually it has mostly helped me to spot tanks, since nothing else is appearing and disappearing out of nowhere. I just shoot at the spot where there seems to be a glitch in graphics, and I just might get a kill out of it.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, HMS_Ajax said:

yea your keen vision affects what you can see at distance, its a dumb system tell me about it, but how else is gaijin supposed to encourage crew training.. 

Are you sure that this is valid for realistic? Keen vision is the very last thing I put skillpoints in and I can still see tanks from kms away either with or without optics.

AFAIK keen vision should work only for identifying friend/foe in ground arcade battles (the marker appearance) and has nothing to do with a tank rendering in.

medal medal medal

It's not a crew-skill/spotting issue.

The cause of this situation where tanks pop in and out of existence is Gaijin's anti-cheating efforts. Tanks that the game thinks should not be visible to a player are not rendered. Unfortunately, when tanks are partially behind cover it can get messed up and you have this situation.

Doesn't happen to me very often (and my crew spotting skills are low), but I did shoot and destroy a temporarily invisible tank last week!

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Sarcastic_Bullet said:

Are you sure that this is valid for realistic? Keen vision is the very last thing I put skillpoints in and I can still see tanks from kms away either with or without optics.

AFAIK keen vision should work only for identifying friend/foe in ground arcade battles (the marker appearance) and has nothing to do with a tank rendering in.

Does it increase your chance of "edge of screen spotting markers"? You know, the tiny red marks to show a plane or something is partly spotted.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

42 minutes ago, Deranger79 said:

Does it increase your chance of "edge of screen spotting markers"? You know, the tiny red marks to show a plane or something is partly spotted.

I think so. At least, the first time I allocated points to the keen vision skills the edge markings appeared the first time.

medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Sarcastic_Bullet said:

as far as i know this used to be the case, maybe its changed? i know at least a year or two ago now it was still the case where at ranges targets would randomly pop in and out and it was on keen vision stat. you didnt need it very high to spot though. 

3 hours ago, PeSeC said:

300 and 400 meters.

in first situation - I LOOK AT BINOCULUS!

shrug, its what i knew could cause this so i figured id mention it 

My understanding of the poorly described system is that there are several factors that dictate if vehicles should be rendered or not.   Vehicles have their own modifiers for how stealthy that they are, whether or not the vehicle has taken an overt action recently such as moving or shooting, whether there is obscuring terrain between you and the opponent, and whether or not a friendly teammate has spotted the opponent so that you can piggyback off of their vision with your radio communication skill.   I think much of the time people think that keen vision does nothing in RB because they're almost constantly leeching off of a teammate's keen vision stats by being in relatively close proximity to those teammates.

My understanding of these "ghost tanks" is that the game considers the vehicle to be obscured by some bit of terrain even though in reality you probably should see them.   Sometimes it's a rock and other times it's something silly like a picket fence or a tool shed.   However there seems to be a range where vehicles will always be rendered regardless of intervening terrain, and that range appears to be greater if the vehicle in question has taken overt action like firing their gun or moving above a certain speed.   The "ghost tank" is the result of a tank being behind some partial cover that the game erroneously considers to be full concealment, and they subsequently pop into existence when they take an overt action that forces the tank to be rendered regardless of intervening terrain at greater distances.

Anecdotally I've noticed these "ghost tanks" appearing far less often once I stopped treating keen vision like a dump stat.  The engagement ranges on most maps are small enough that token investment in keen vision is probably more than sufficient.  But on larger maps these anomalies can still crop up.

Edited by GeneralArmchair

9 minutes ago, GeneralArmchair said:

Anecdotally I've noticed these "ghost tanks" appearing far less often once I stopped treating keen vision like a dump stat.  The engagement ranges on most maps are small enough that token investment in keen vision is probably more than sufficient.  But on larger maps these anomalies can still crop up.

I would incline to think that @NotTheWave is right in his explanation that this is related to EAC. I have played enough light tanks and did actual recons in order to see that this has nothing to do with the actual range at which the target is.

medal medal medal

13 hours ago, NotTheWave said:

Edit: nevermind...ULQ & Bush Abuser, not worth the effort.

I can agree with this. Why is OP making a post of tanks not popping into view, yet he has bushes and ULQ. Unless this person did really have a potato PC, there’s no reason he should be on ULQ, but to be honest, I’ve been running max without SSAA and tanks sometimes don’t render for me either. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I think it might be pertinent to post this here:

Spoiler

Whilst I can't confirm this is the case, I believe vehicles not rendering is a side effect of frustum culling. My theory is that the game thinks that you shouldn't have sight of a vehicle, so to save on performance it won't be rendered on camera. Possibly there's a check of some kind that realises that the other vehicle actually is in view, and pops it in.

Either that, or it's a gameplay mechanic that no one understands.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, TheCheshireCat said:

My theory is that the game thinks that you shouldn't have sight of a vehicle, so to save on performance it won't be rendered on camera. Possibly there's a check of some kind that realises that the other vehicle actually is in view, and pops it in.

I believe this is the case. If I remember correctly, devs explained that there's this system, when the game counts the % of the enemy vehicle's surface that can be seen by another player. If above the given limit, the vehicle gets rendered on that player's screen...

Unfortunately it's broken AF and after unsuccessful attempts to fix it years ago, devs called it a feature and let it be...

But I might be wrong as it's been years ago...

medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, TheCheshireCat said:

I think it might be pertinent to post this here:

Reveal hidden contents

Whilst I can't confirm this is the case, I believe vehicles not rendering is a side effect of frustum culling. My theory is that the game thinks that you shouldn't have sight of a vehicle, so to save on performance it won't be rendered on camera. Possibly there's a check of some kind that realises that the other vehicle actually is in view, and pops it in.

Either that, or it's a gameplay mechanic that no one understands.

It's either this or the anitcheat.

57 minutes ago, Grossaaaa said:

It's either this or the anitcheat.

Check this short clip of mine. Focus on the second Tiger. You'll see him vanishing in thin air for a split of a second...

Spoiler

It's from times long before the anticheat. It's even from times before anyone from Gaijin admitted there might be cheaters in WT. It's from the ancient times when were told, that cheating in WT is "not possible"... :)

medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...