Gun-barrel Meta = reduce your game

And again, fields of Sinai south spawn, I get to the position where I can snipe C and first hit from the enemy at 1000m destroys my gun. 25 seconds to repair? Well Gaijin, you can put this idiotic mechanic to your glutea maxina. For  me it was instant back to hangar.

This product is broken beyond belief.

Edited by Embrosil

It is kind of annoying how the barrel seems to soak up so many shots. I even catch myself trying to shoot off center mass so I don't hit the barrel on an easy pen. 

medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Comedic relief: imagine in some war in the future all those who play war thunder and went to the army driving tanks have that instinct to immediately snipe the enemy barrel over 4km making tanks useless due to unproportionate attrition causing a rise in good old bayonet charges.

On 01/02/2021 at 11:23, Gurumagoo said:

It is kind of annoying how the barrel seems to soak up so many shots. I even catch myself trying to shoot off center mass so I don't hit the barrel on an easy pen. 

Its even funnier when one shot kills 4 different cannon breeches at the same time or shots that damage nothing else than the breech.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

In the last battle a Jumbo destroyed my gun with its .50 cal. Instant back to hangar. As I mentioned many times, the game is broken beyond belief.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Embrosil said:

In the last battle a Jumbo destroyed my gun with its .50 cal. Instant back to hangar. As I mentioned many times, the game is broken beyond belief.

usa .50 are broken as hell, i played r3 at 6.3 (i lost both m26 and aubl so i left with r3), i took out super pershing barrel AND the browning, thinking im safe i went for the easier prey but somehow magicaly super persing killed me with its broken mg

Edited by TheKatyusHATman
medal medal medal medal medal

This is by far the most frustrating thing about playing WT at the moment for me. My enjoyment for the game would easily double if this was taken out.

Only other thing that REALLY bothers me right now is that the dead tank hulks hitboxes are bigger than the model which causes magical forcefield around them or possibly some kind of super high tech magnet just sucks my rounds in/

medal

On 31/01/2021 at 06:03, Embrosil said:

But there is CQC on EVERY map. You have huge maps with capture points in cities. So the only difference is that you have to drive like moron on these maps. There maybe one or two maps, where you can actualy snipe. 

A work of a genius. You want bigger maps, here you are... Yeah.

Because sitting on a ridgeline sniping everyone with a Leopard 2A6 is such 2,000IQ gameplay amirite? Not saying there's anything wrong with people have preferences, but to people who act like cross mapping at high tier is some kind of art are lying to themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Because sitting on a ridgeline sniping everyone with a Leopard 2A6 is such 2,000IQ gameplay amirite? Not saying there's anything wrong with people have preferences, but to people who act like cross mapping at high tier is some kind of art are lying to themselves. 

Indeed - it should be that such tactics are common and normal - they should not require any form of art at all!!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Indeed - it should be that such tactics are common and normal - they should not require any form of art at all!!

I hope you're being sarcastic, there's no /s. 

On 14/02/2021 at 06:27, Embrosil said:

I played against one person that would shoot his T26 ... wait for the person to come around the corner ... MG the breech of the enemy and then take him out... clearly taking advantage of the MG's ability to kill the breech.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1785439125_WTMaps.thumb.jpg.638fb73d0662

Destroying gun barrel is so prominent due to totally unrealistic tiny city maps and rocks labirynths maps, where tanks with 6 meters barrels are artificially forced by map creator to go through "pre-prepared labirynth" to meet the enemy and shoot each other at 10-100 meters distance where you can easily aim for the pinhead.

If real Abrams and Leopards would fight each other in tiny crowded city - which would never happen IRL - and shoot from 100 meters they would also aim for the barrel or other tiny spots. 

But IRL tanks fight at 800-3000meters aiming in general center of mass of the target. And would NEVER be allowed to fight inside the city or tiny artificial labirynth of rocks - when combat symmetrical opponent.

In reasonably realistic maps like Kursk, Mozdok, Fulda Gap etc. barrel aiming is close to non existent.

Edited by BlES
  • Like 2

Gun barrel meta would be less if an issue if the volumetric shells aren't so damn buggy, if I see a jumbo in a tiger or a panther I would absolutely positively go for the barrel because the bow MG eats so many shells it's not even funny to joke about.

• Upvote 1

There are also those absurd situations when you shoot at a tiny glass cannon type of vehicle with your huge gun with APHE and the shot hits enemy cannon in an angle to the side of the barrel without destroying it but for some reason it is able to bounce and divert the shot in a 45ish degree angle away from its hull. The kinetic effects are more severe to you because of the recoil, but the enemy is not damaged and not even moved by the impact. It appears that if penetration does not occur, the caliber of the bounced projectile does not make any difference.

medal medal medal medal

After today, I really hope Devs modify this madness.   In Berlin, shot two people today, both long distance.  <Boom> 1st one, barrel disabled, no other damage.  Second shot on another, barrel disabled.... I wrote an apology to them for being annoying.  Then on a different map, as I was leaving the desert area climbing the hill to B, got shot right in my rear end... Breach destroyed, can't fire, as always.  Compelling... 

medal medal

On 20/01/2021 at 13:48, Kuky_HR said:

Worst thing to me is that he destroys my barrel with his 20mm gun, but if i shoot 50cal in R3 he needs to many shots. I even once tried to shot his gun, since its exposed and there is 0 chance to destroy his small tiny gun with 50cal, but he can destroy my gun with his 20mm.

Probably shouldn't say this, but you can ammo detonate an R3T20 by shooting its 20mm magazine. I hate when that happens. And if an R3 can take out your barrel before you can shoot his gun, he got the advantage fair and square (although usually anachronistic).

I agree that it's too easy to hit gun barrels recently when aiming for something else. I guess that's due to volumetric shells. I don't really think intentionally knocking out someone's barrel is intrinsically wrong. It should just be really hard to do at 500m+.

medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

You know also what's fun? Being stock, preferably in top tier matches with no parts. It's already a pain to grind out parts in top tier, and the gun barrel meta doesn't help either. Get a few shots off with Stock HEAT-FS with 3 hits on one enemy tank still alive, and boom barrel broken/damaged. Yes you can retreat to a cap point but at that point why peak out, if they have you locked down, or showing your rear to the enemy when retreating. What about the Conquest gamemode with the single cap point and the enemy has it captured? There's nothing you can really do either. You may have that teammate in a light vehicle that can help you but most of the time they only ignore you. At that point you're just better off J'ing out and joining a new battle considering you can't fire your shell with a broken gun barrel.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Karatekakerlake said:

Are .50s still overperforming on the Dev server in terms of breaking barrels?

Didn't check, but it should be fixed since they increased the thickness of barrels depending on the caliber of the gun. Meaning that it won't get penned and damaged by 50s.

medal medal medal medal

On 03/03/2021 at 12:53, TheLaotianTanker said:

You know also what's fun? Being stock, preferably in top tier matches with no parts. It's already a pain to grind out parts in top tier, and the gun barrel meta doesn't help either. Get a few shots off with Stock HEAT-FS with 3 hits on one enemy tank still alive, and boom barrel broken/damaged. Yes you can retreat to a cap point but at that point why peak out, if they have you locked down, or showing your rear to the enemy when retreating. What about the Conquest gamemode with the single cap point and the enemy has it captured? There's nothing you can really do either. You may have that teammate in a light vehicle that can help you but most of the time they only ignore you. At that point you're just better off J'ing out and joining a new battle considering you can't fire your shell with a broken gun barrel.

Stock tanks at top tier is basically just going over the top at Gallipoli over and over again until you get parts, FPE, and the first APFSDS.

medal medal medal

59 minutes ago, NotTheWave said:

Stock tanks at top tier is basically just going over the top at Gallipoli over and over again until you get parts, FPE, and the first APFSDS.

Yeah, it's almost like Gaijin trying to force you to buy the modifications, crazy I know.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

On 15/02/2021 at 17:08, AssaultPlazma said:

Sitting on a ridge sniping is low IQ regardless of distance.  This is what most people do in Arma 3, but they just skyline themselves for all enemies and die in 1 minute.  What is 2,000 IQ is path options.  There are helluva lot more path options in 30km^2 map than 1km^2 map.  Imagine chess board with only 4 rows.  The low number of possible moves makes it easy for low IQ players to win by familiarity.  Therefore, assuming an interest in winning, it is perfectly justified to say that higher IQ players want a larger board.

Regarding OP, I find it takes ~3 hits to disable big barrels with the Puma /2 at 5.3 matches.  It depends on angle.

Edited by Sertica
medal

Gun breaches should also be buffed in durability or .50s should be massively nerfed in terms of their damage. Shooting with .50s into open top vehicles always takes out the breach but somehow 20mm cannons cant or very rarely, especially if you´re attacking AA from angles where the breaches are exposed.

medal medal medal medal