Vickers VFM Mk.5

5 minutes ago, omnipotank said:

So, it should have about 201mm of penetration at 60 degrees in game and around 360ish at 0 degrees.

Nah that 401mm is at 60 degrees.

1 minute ago, TerikG2014 said:

Nah that 401mm is at 60 degrees.

Are we sure? Even DM63 gets only 252mm at 60 degrees. Or is this before conversion to L64A4 would be akin to about 200ish in that same manner?

medal

5 minutes ago, TheFuzzieOne said:

Are we sure? Even DM63 gets only 252mm at 60 degrees. Or is this before conversion to L64A4 would be akin to about 200ish in that same manner?

Let me do some more looking this is H6/62 were talking about I'll have a look at L64A4

So I just ran the numbers for L64A4 and they came back higher than H6/62 despite the Russian sheet I used in part for my calculations stating the oppoiste1388520566_www.longrods.ch_perfcalc.php-

(pretty sure I haven't brain farted this time) I get the feeling that our person who has the information for H6/62 might have his lengths wrong as H6/62 should be longer the L64A4

Edited by TerikG2014

The thickness is LOS thickness at that angle FYI ... so 400mm penetration at 60 with that calculator is 200mm of armor at 60 degrees. Calculating at 68 degrees is helpful when considering penetration of russian armor.

Edited by omnipotank
medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, omnipotank said:

The thickness is LOS thickness at that angle FYI ... so 400mm penetration at 60 with that calculator is 200mm of armor at 60 degrees. Calculating at 68 degrees is helpful when considering penetration of russian armor.

Ah interesting didn't realise that thanks.

9 minutes ago, TerikG2014 said:

Ah interesting didn't realise that thanks.

Also, Russia tests the rounds against higher hardness steel if I remember correctly. 300 Brinell hardness rather than 260.

33 minutes ago, omnipotank said:

So...that seems sort of DM23 level? Not great, not terrible. (Game wise).

Given the uncertainty on thermals this is sounding very 8.7.

medal

3 hours ago, TheFuzzieOne said:

So...that seems sort of DM23 level? Not great, not terrible. (Game wise).

Given the uncertainty on thermals this is sounding very 8.7.

So according to the calculation we have so far H6/62 is 200mm at 60° against a NATO Standard target and L64A4 is 225mm at 60° however I'm pretty sure this is wrong as H6/62 is meant to be a longer shell than L64A4

Edited by TerikG2014

1 hour ago, TerikG2014 said:

So according to the calculation we have so far H6/62 is 200mm at 60° against a NATO Standard target and L64A4 is 225mm at 60° however I'm pretty sure this is wrong as H6/26 is meant to be a longer shell than L64A4

The length of the penetrating rod for the L64a4 is longer than the H6/62 in your penetration calculations. Also, the density is different between the two. Is this done on purpose?

I would like to see the exact measurements of these two shells to calculate the perforation.

Edited by omnipotank

4 hours ago, TerikG2014 said:

476 is the length given on the Russian document  44066119_5a3a3ae58ed11_1.1.png.1d781e77d

Its probably projectile length without the case charge that they have listed. You would have to knock between 100-150mm off the total length because of the fins and the nose as the penetrator doesn't extend into either.

Edited by [email protected]
medal medal medal medal medal

The results you're finding certainly are variable haha, I'm hoping at least available ammunition is almost on par or better than the Tam 2C but I'm unsure if that's an unrealistic hope. I wouldn't want a vehicle fit for only 8.7 service I mean as that's basically next to the Rooikat anyway. 

medal

4 hours ago, TwitchyCarlos said:

The results you're finding certainly are variable haha, I'm hoping at least available ammunition is almost on par or better than the Tam 2C but I'm unsure if that's an unrealistic hope. I wouldn't want a vehicle fit for only 8.7 service I mean as that's basically next to the Rooikat anyway. 

Hopefully, this vehicle will have better thermals, better mobility offroad, and a non-hullbreakable turret. This would make it one of the better tanks out there when it comes to light vehicles. 

Edited by omnipotank

Here is my guess at L64A4's length by scaling in autocad and using L23A1 as a reference for construction. It's certainly not exact but it's neither 373 or 476. This also jives much better with the 170mm at 60 at 2km penetration figure.

unknown.png

I expect the length is somewhere around or just over 400mm. Shell would probably lose around 25mm or so in 2km so the pen at 0m (at 60) is going to be close to 200mm or a 400mm LoS which means a length of around 400mm makes sense.

Edit: and we can make some crude comparisons with H6/62 which would also fall in line with the penetrations from that chart:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Edited by Baron_Tiberius
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Baron_Tiberius said:

Here is my guess at L64A4's length by scaling in autocad and using L23A1 as a reference for construction. It's certainly not exact but it's neither 373 or 476. This also jives much better with the 170mm at 60 at 2km penetration figure.

unknown.png

I expect the length is somewhere around or just over 400mm. Shell would probably lose around 25mm or so in 2km so the pen at 0m (at 60) is going to be close to 200mm or a 400mm LoS which means a length of around 400mm makes sense.

Edit: and we can make some crude comparisons with H6/62 which would also fall in line with the penetrations from that chart:

Hide contents

unknown.png

Nice work!