Vickers VFM Mk.5

2 minutes ago, TerikG2014 said:

Woohoo party time again folks we have a new LT to look forward to the Vickers VFM Mk 5 has come and this is a beauty! Fast agile and punchy! https://warthunder.com/en/news/6900-development-vfm-5-private-venture-en

..." Accelerates like an Emu on acid." Yes...Yes, tell us more about this! 

medal medal medal medal medal

14 minutes ago, vascolopes said:

Heh well top speed is 44MPH which is more than respectable but the real beauty is the power to weight ration on this thing 28.3 Hp/t which for reference is greater than Cromwell! The gun is interesting it's a royal ordenance low recoil L7 which can fire L64 APFSDS APDS HESH and Smoke 

mark11iii00d0d22.jpg.d1867bae502dbca68ec

So a good array of shells for any situation. 

Now tech I do believe it does have basic NVD but I need to do some more digging as the turret is shared by the Vickers Mk 11 which I believed to have gen 2 thermals.  So I'll get back to you on that.

I have a couple of question/concerns.

Firstly IIRC the vehicle was not "sold as is" with thermals but it was an upgrade package which was for the commander and a side-sight for the gunner, will it be getting thermals ingame for the commander you guys think?

Secondly

"including a number of sub-calibre and chemical rounds"

Is gaijin going to force us to HEAT-FS the tank even though UK doctrine was not to use HEAT-FS? Would be fairly mean.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Mitchverr said:

I have a couple of question/concerns.

Firstly IIRC the vehicle was not "sold as is" with thermals but it was an upgrade package which was for the commander and a side-sight for the gunner, will it be getting thermals ingame for the commander you guys think?

Secondly

"including a number of sub-calibre and chemical rounds"

Is gaijin going to force us to HEAT-FS the tank even though UK doctrine was not to use HEAT-FS? Would be fairly mean.

So on the first I do believe you are right and if got them in game that'd be stellar. On the second in all the marketing images it never had HEAT-FS the chemical is probably a reference for it's HESH

Another image of the APFSDS

mark11iii00d0d21.jpg.444da2e8cc52f7aeb64

The basic sighting system from the turret

193327265_mark11iii00d0d25(1).jpg.c1c006

Edited by TerikG2014

There is thermal sight. But on his predecessor - CCVL:

Almost no info about VFM Mk.5 in the Hunnicatt book.

R.P. Hunnicutt - Sheridan A History of the American Light Tank (Volume 2) - 1995:

Spoiler

image.png.877eafc7d667af736264b850acf47dimage.png.9e0249a5b906d9ebc247cec08e7a5f

17 minutes ago, TestAcc567 said:

There is thermal sight. But on his predecessor - CCVL:

Almost no info about VFM Mk.5 in the Hunnicatt book.

R.P. Hunnicutt - Sheridan A History of the American Light Tank (Volume 2) - 1995:

Hide contents

image.png.877eafc7d667af736264b850acf47dimage.png.9e0249a5b906d9ebc247cec08e7a5f

Issue is its a totally different turret.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, TerikG2014 said:

Issue is its a totally different turret.

I know, I know.

img_0.jpg

Google Translate:

The hull of the Vickers Mk.5 (American designation VFM-5) is almost identical to the hull of the CCV (L) tank, developed by Ford engineers for the American army. The differences lie in the modifications associated with the installation of a new welded three-man tower made of aluminum alloys. To enhance the armor protection, steel hinged armor plates are installed on the turret and hull. A design feature of the tank is the tilt of the turret by 3 ° relative to the plane of the shoulder strap in order to increase the gun depression angle. The gunner and commander are located to the right of the gun (the gunner is in front of the commander), the loader is to the left.

The main armament is a 105 mm L7A1 rifled gun with vertical aiming angles from -10 ° to + 20 °. Ammunition load 42 shots, 19 of which are stored in the fighting compartment below the turret ring, 22 - in the control compartment. The turning speed of the tower is 40 degrees / s. The drives for turning the turret and pointing the gun in the vertical plane are electric. On the left side of the cannon there is a coaxial 7.62 mm L8A2 machine gun. On the roof of the tower, it is possible to install an anti-aircraft machine gun of 7.62 mm or 12.7 mm. Ammunition - 5000 rounds for a rifle-caliber machine gun and 1000 for a heavy machine gun. In front of the tower, from the sides, six smoke grenade launchers are mounted.

The commander has a panoramic day / night sight "Pilkington" RE "Raven" and five fixed periscopic observation devices with a total circular field of view. The main gunner uses a 10x telescopic sight with an integrated laser rangefinder and an auxiliary sight GS-10 - both manufactured by Vickers Instrument. The loader has a periscope observation device AFV No. 10 Mk.1. The fire control system of the "Marconi" company allows both the commander and the gunner to fire from the gun. The gun is stabilized in two planes.

The tank is equipped with a 6-cylinder diesel engine with 550 hp. and an automatic transmission, which is a modernized version of the transmission of the American M2 Bradley BMP.

2 hours ago, TerikG2014 said:

Heh well top speed is 44MPH which is more than respectable but the real beauty is the power to weight ration on this thing 28.3 Hp/t which for reference is greater than Cromwell! The gun is interesting it's a royal ordenance low recoil L7 which can fire L64 APFSDS APDS HESH and Smoke 

mark11iii00d0d22.jpg.d1867bae502dbca68ec

So a good array of shells for any situation. 

Now tech I do believe it does have basic NVD but I need to do some more digging as the turret is shared by the Vickers Mk 11 which I believed to have gen 2 thermals.  So I'll get back to you on that.

Devblog mentioned, "Featuring no noteworthy differences from that standard version of the weapon, the VFM 5’s cannon fires the usual set of standard NATO ammunition, including a number of sub-calibre and chemical rounds."

so perhaps gaijin plans to give it the set of usual DM... rounds?

medal

48 minutes ago, ivica70 said:

Which BR would be possible?

Who knows. We have:

• Chieftain Mk.3 on 8.3
  • Warrior with thermal and ATGM on 8.0
  • Centurion Mk.10 with 105 mm on 7.7

My best guess - [8.0; 8.3] (if no thermal sight)

2 minutes ago, Taeblamees said:

Devblog mentioned, "Featuring no noteworthy differences from that standard version of the weapon, the VFM 5’s cannon fires the usual set of standard NATO ammunition, including a number of sub-calibre and chemical rounds."

so perhaps gaijin plans to give it the set of usual DM... rounds?

Not sure

21 minutes ago, TestAcc567 said:

My best guess - [8.0; 8.3] (if no thermal sight)

Will certainly be higher, considering it is almost as fast as the TAM with same gun (with thermal and DM63 9.3, without 8.7).

I think 8.7-9.0 would be most likely.

19 minutes ago, omnipotank said:

What is L64 APFSDS compared to DM23 or 33 for the L7

The available sources seem to conflict.

Steelbeast gives L64 same pen as M735. A Russian source that compares Western 105mm rounds gave it around the same, also marked it as a round form 1978.

Which makes sense as typical from that era.

ycEuIV6uVAg.jpg

And then we have this source, which gives a pretty insane performance:

The 105mm DU APFSDS round has a muzzle velocity of 1,450m/s and can penetrate more than 450mm of rolled homogenous armor at 2000 meter.

Edited by Loongsheep
medal medal medal

I am still using this thing at top tier regardless, but I would love to see gen 2 thermals on this thing. Also, we can hope that it doesn't have broken turret hullbreak like the centauro or other light vehicles. Personally, hullbreak needs removed until it is fixed. It has its moments that make zero sense too much to be in game right now.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

38 minutes ago, Loongsheep said:

And then we have this source, which gives a pretty insane performance:

The 105mm DU APFSDS round has a muzzle velocity of 1,450m/s and can penetrate more than 450mm of rolled homogenous armor at 2000 meter.

I think i know which I'm more inclined to believe but ruddy hell if that's true not only is this things acceleration mental it's firepower is too.

1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

You can hope

with the devblog saying mostly thin aluminium armour, it'll have hull meme

It would be fine if APFSDS didn't magically hullbreak things by hitting nothing. I would love a chemical round only hull break in game unless it has high hardness steel. Also, I am mainly concerned about the turret. If it is like the centauro, then you can get hit in your coax machine gun or radio and just die from APFSDS. This makes using a light vehicle hull-down the most annoying thing ever when just one crew member dies yet your entire vehicle is dead due to magical buggy coding. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

You can hope

with the devblog saying mostly thin aluminium armour, it'll have hull meme

Then again, it does have additional high hardness steel plates at the front.

medal