Unsupported format/type: GL_RG8_SNORM/GL_NONE

Yesterday i played without any problem, today starting the game in linux  (slackware64) i get this error (Unsupported format/type: GL_RG8_SNORM/GL_NONE)  in the console and the game never starts.

Tried to switch to vulkan and some time after login, it crash with one "exception". As i was not using vulkan for some months (way too dark when the sun is low), i do not know if vulkan should be running ok or not

Is anybody else getting this, or is this a local problem?

I already checked the files and removed the cache folder. I'm now downloading the game in another computer, so check if i had some update that broke the game.

medal medal

• Technical Moderator

Hello @higuita7,

Can't say I've had this issue, What GPU and driver are you on?

Yes, that fails for me too. But it runs if I run it without steam as root(without sound but that is because of user mismatch). Which leads me to the question where does War Thunder store user settings/profile on linux? Can I try deleting/renaming that?

I sent  a email to mesa-dev to try to get more help.

But running as root is a good hint, let me debug from there.

IIRC, war thunder have a ~/.config/WarThunder and it also use the ~/.cache/mesa_shader_cache/  (actually is the AMDGPU driver use it, but that cache is user-lever)

... tried to delete both, didn't help

Running the game with strace show that it also access the .drirc... removing it... IT WORKED!

OK, some quick test show that i played with the MESA DRI option NO_ERROR, removing this line from the War Thunder section makes the game work again:

<option name="mesa_no_error" value="true" />

So probably the game is testing a feature and if it fails, do not use it... with NO_ERROR, it probably makes the game thing it can use something that the AMDGPU fail to provide... maybe, i'm just guessing.

Try to check your ~/.drirc (directly or via driconf) and test it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

I've set "mesa_no_error" to false and it indeed works. Thank you very much, higuita7.

Edit: I think I might have found what does have the unsupported format : With "mesa_no_error" set to false some pictures of the stuff in the warbond shop(like the peacock emblem) do not show. So perhaps they are causing this?

Edited by Vikthorn
Additional info