New Player, Worried about long term game prospects

7 hours ago, chaosticket said:

Its far worse than I feared. War Thunder seems just be too unbalanced to be fun. Ive have some really good games, but Im already getting into matches where I am actually LOSING PROGRESS because of broken economics(no kills=lose money). Ive been on a losing streak for several hours today and Im feeling ready to quit altogether. I wouldnt be able to endure going backwards over and over, day after day.

I dont get this...it takes SEVERAL HUNDREDS of games before you find a scenario like this...up to Rank III or so, economy moves forward and usually at a fast pace...you are either doing something wrong or exaggerating somewhat...

I am now GOING BACK and improving the vehicles at low ranks that i moved so fast i didn't even improve completely...and my Kill/Death ratio is way average...slightly over 1:1 so not great skill required...

You know you can turn OFF automatic repairs and ammo refills...vehicles repair over time for free (if you leave them on a slot with crews)? Usual scenario is to play every nation you like and then leave the tanks repairing...on early ranks this takes minutes or hours, so they are good to go later in the day...

Ammo you refill only what you need...

You have to do very badly to have negative income at early ranks...anyhow, it should improve quickly as you learn the basics...

Game is free and fast to play...and with continuous and steady positive progress up to rank III or so. BUT admittedly it becomes a grind from there on. If you want to play modern tanks (or late ww2) you will either have to invest TIME or MONEY. If you are running into issues at RANK II, then the future does not look bright indeed...

If you came into the game wanting to prove (to us or yourself) that it is as bad as world of tanks...then i guess you at least proved it to yourself. But it is NOT as you describe above. It WILL BECOME SO...if you stick around long enough...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chaosticket said:

This game is way too variable to put money down on it. In gambling games like poker game you can at least WIN Cash, so there is some chance of reward.
Ive gotten some games where Ive gotten 9 kills, 4 captures, and #1 spot on the team, and other games my tanks (maybe even all 3) are One-Shot-Killed and I earn almost nothing.
Does any game balance exist?

Its really noticeable that there unlike WOT War Thunder doesnt allow upgraded guns. I think youre supposed to unlock and use ammunition types. That hurts as the #1 important thing in most games is cutting down combat times to make the game into Rocket Tag. Sometimes(for better or worse) that happens in any game(its how I get killstreaks), other times I can shoot someone 10 times looking for crew members and not find them because I didnt bring Explosive ammo. "I need a bigger gun" is a constant the thought and really the game motivation.

Tank Destroyers are decently fun to play because they are are most likely to have improved firepower between each vehicle.
SPAAGs are not well suited for anti-tank combat, but they are at least fun to try out. That will probably wear off very quickly because the game is 90% Ground targets. Do they work in Air Arcade mode?
Tanks seem to be the most boring vehicle type because of the huge gaps between real upgrades. Maybe 1 upgrade per Rank, and all the stuff in between is just there to extend the grind.

Special note: Why are all the turret speed so varied? Some are basically worthless with 4 degrees-per-second and then others are close to 35 and they are the same ranks.

If you haven't got to Rank 2 you are probably still in the newbie matchmaker, against mostly other new players and AI. If you run into real players first rather than bots, they are far more likely to kill you quickly, the bots are pretty slow to react and miss a lot.

Instead of upgraded guns, War Thunder usually has a different version of the same tank at a higher BR with that gun, if it actually used it. Some of the WoT gun upgrades are pure fantasy.

Some tanks really benefit from upgraded shells, but you need to learn about shell types and when to use each. HEAT, for example, is good for killing light vehicles via hull break, and usually has good penetration, but the fuse is set off by bushes and fences so it isn't so good when there's a lot of cover like this around. APCR is terrible against slopes, and does a very narrow cone of damage compared to other shells, so its not always the best choice even if the penetration is higher than your other shells.

If you want to get more one shot kills look for APHE APCBC or APHEBC shells that have a lot of explosive filler. AP, especially smaller rounds, usually requires multiple shots in different locations to kill the crew. If you know where the ammo is shooting that sometimes blows the tank up.

The modifications don't always each make a noticable difference, but added together they mean a stock tank is often a lot less capable than a fully upgraded one. The lack of mobility when stock isn't quite so noticable in arcade with its boosted engine power, but the poor accuracy definitely is.

Some vehicles do have terrible turret rotation, as they did in reality. It wasn't as much of a problem in real warfare, but in War Thunder it usually means they have a lower BR than a similar tank with better turret rotation. You need to get used to using the hull traverse to help get the gun on target in those vehicles.

Really the game only feels like a grind if you are impatient to unlock all the new stuff, and focus on how close you are to that. Rushing to get to higher BR vehicles before you have learned how to play decently will just end up in frustration as you come up against far more experienced players constantly.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, chaosticket said:

Im still a rookie and It already feels impossible. I havent even purchased a Rank 2 vehicle yet.

I took a quick look at your stats...and i still dont see a reason for negative resource gains...more details are needed...

I see a positive k/d ratio of around 1.5, and you playing the main nations (US, Russian, German, Brit)...not enough battles for any economic distress...with around the same performance i had around 3 million SL surplus when i got to rank III.

I do see "hints" of unbalanced lineups...not sure how you are doing this. The BR matchmaking works with the BEST TANK, so you should have lineups with 3 vehicles ALL SAME BR or 0.3 difference.

Ideally a 2.0 lineup (as example) should (at least) THREE 2.0 vehicles. 1.7s will do ok, but 1.3 maybe pushing it. If having to use lower BR vehicles, better to use tank destroyers (they are vulnerable anyway, but gun should be good) or SPAAs (staying in the rear is less dangerous).

I figured out how to turn off automatic repairs early this morning. 20minute repair times so far. Checking higher tiers and they get hours and eventually a week or more. That reminds of the saying "Between a Rock and a Hard Place"

I came up a game strategy with but HATE because of how slow it will be. But as its going it wont actually be a loss because War Thunder is slow either way.
Turn off the Auto-repairs, purchase every vehicle across every nation and swap nations out while other nations are on Repair time. That would keep the grinding momentum at a slow but steady pace instead of going backwards.
========================
I hate to praise World of Tanks in another game, but WoT is the better Casual Arcade Game. I take for granted things like the "tank radar", lock-on targeting, Hit Points, fast vehicle/turrets speeds, non-respawning enemies, and easy profit(until the high tiers). Fair and Fun.

The things I hated there are Features in a serious Simulator Game like War Thunder. 30second life spans, One-shot kills, Achilles Heels/weak points, Internal Damage, "invisible" enemies, poor mobility, Meat-Grinder maps.

1 hour ago, chaosticket said:

Checking higher tiers and they get hours and eventually a week or more.

Yes...this is an issue. There is a crew skill you can develop that HALVES repair time...but also takes time, so if staying around i would start developing it...

ANYHOW...sooner or later you do hit the wall...you are just hitting it too soon...

Turn off the Auto-repairs, purchase every vehicle across every nation and swap nations out while other nations are on Repair time.

I guess this is the way they want us to play. Right now we have so many nations i dont have to research ALL of them...depends on the time you have to play i guess.

I also dont like it...posted somewhere repairs should be possible without crews...so you could at least play with ALL US tanks (as an example) before having to change nation...

Ideally repairs would be FREE, of course...part of the game economy and how they try to get money from players...doesnt work with the majority...but i guess it does pay some of their bills...

The things I hated there are Features in a serious Simulator Game like War Thunder. 30second life spans, One-shot kills, Achilles Heels/weak points, Internal Damage, "invisible" enemies, poor mobility, Meat-Grinder maps.

"One man trash..."...most of the things you hate are the ones that bring me and many players to War Thunder and made me go away from World of Tanks...namely One-shot kills, Achilles Heels/weak points, Internal Damage, "invisible" enemies, poor mobility...i use the term "realistic" instead of your adjectives ;)

(Many players around actually complain they aren't realistic enough)

You should stay with War Thunder only if you are fine with how it works...life is short to waste on games you dont like...although...if you like "simple" tank games you just ran out of alternatives ;)

AND BTW...World of Tanks has A LOT of bad things you dont see here...the main one being PAY TO WIN. In general (there are a few exceptions), paying customers in War Thunder have the same odds of winning as free players. Skill matters WAY MORE than MONEY.

Edited by [email protected]
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chaosticket said:

I came up a game strategy with but HATE because of how slow it will be. But as its going it wont actually be a loss because War Thunder is slow either way.
Turn off the Auto-repairs, purchase every vehicle across every nation and swap nations out while other nations are on Repair time. That would keep the grinding momentum at a slow but steady pace instead of going backwards.

The economy is fine up to tier 4 or so, particularly in Arcade. At low tiers it's almost impossible to end in the red, you'll make a profit even if you play poorly and at tier 3-4 (and some at higher tiers) it's not really difficult to earn a profit or at the very least make it even (with a few exceptions, like some German SPAAs) as long as you remain active and get a few kills or assists. I wouldn't worry so much about economy. Turning off autorepair helps, but I find it better to leave tanks to repair overnight and pay a reduced cost next time I use them instead of letting them repair completely.

Another thing is that I don't recommend buying Expert crew training for any vehicle you don't plan to use a lot. It gives a nice boost to crew skills, but the extra cost adds ups quickly and can become a SL drain. You can definitely live without Expert crews.

2 hours ago, chaosticket said:

Most of those features are the appeal to WT players. You have to learn those weakspots and internal layouts of enemy tanks as well as learning how to deal with your own tank's capabilities and weaknesses, which is part of the steep learning curve I mentioned. You also have to learn the maps, which zones are the most exposed, which cover works and which one doesn't, what is the best way to flank the enemy team and so on. When you master those things and you're the one handing out one-shot kills instead of taking them is where the real fun begins.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Is it just me or are the more players with super low games coming on to the forums that make many posts that ultimately lead to WoT is better so play that instead. They are given great advice from a decent community and they contradict every post and only escalate how bad WT is and how much better WoT is. Most of the claims they make, such as this one, aren't even reasonable.   

I am not for censorship but at a certain point when do the mods step in and point them in the direction of the information that has already been posted over an over. Trying to reason with a dubious account that clearly has no intention of playing the game or is purposefully spreading misinformation is counterproductive to anything. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

"Trying to reason with a dubious account that clearly has no intention of playing the game or is purposefully spreading misinformation is counterproductive to anything.  "

Im a New Player, any veterans with "15,640" games beats anything I will ever get. I know Ive only put in 1% as many games as you, but that is rude to accuse rookies, newbs, new players of "spreading disinformation". I havent lied and I dont know if anyone else here has.

War Thunder has some great ideals but brutal difficulty and extreme grinding. Some people will recognize the weak points of 150+ ground vehicles, know the perfect ammunition for every situation, and be something like the top 5% of players worldwide.

Im not one of those people. Im still learning details between opening this topic and this post, and mastering the game is beyond me. Ill keep grinding or quit and move on. There isnt much left to say that I or other people have contributed. Thanks for talking.

8 minutes ago, chaosticket said:

Some people will recognize the weak points of 150+ ground vehicles, know the perfect ammunition for every situation,

Some quick tips here...

Side shots always good

Crosshair becomes green when round can penetrate

When in doubt, turret ring is a goid option

Best round is usually APHE...if target is tougher APCR

US, German and Russian are usually easier to choose ammo, brits are odd

There is a ammo penetration tool in hangar to check ways to kill tougher tanks

If you look around or ask, people will help learn good vehicles...or ammo

BTW...most players dont know all the answers...i know weak spots of COMMON enemies...but i have problems with something i dont know how to kill almost everyday...angles, distances, weapons all change the equation ;)

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2020 at 16:27, chaosticket said:

I came to War Thunder to get the Tanks working. I am a casual player so serious grinding requirements worry me.

Up to rank 4 Armor the game is very enjoyable (it takes more effort 4 and up, should do well anyway).

There is AB (similar to WoT), RB (no markers for enemy units), and SB.  Sim B is hard core, very few markers and helpful items, will challenge your skills.

My advice on general War Thunder environment (not specific Armor game):

• TURN OFF the Auto-Repair, Auto-Reload, and Auto-Purchase of modules!  (Pay when you need to, and let them repair overnight)
  • Every Nov 1 and Dec 24 there is Half-Price (1/2) sale.  You will save lots of SL if you unlock but do not buy until the 1/2 price sale (except the most needed modules, like Parts and Extinguishers).
  • Pay SL to unlock all the Crew Slots as soon as you can.
  • I highly recommend any GE you get to unlock the first Crew Slots for all nations (200 GE each).  It is worth spending some money to do this (I think $10 to 20)
  • Use the CREW EXPERT as much as you can, the +3 bonus makes a big difference
  • CREW XP the REPAIR and REPAIR RANK as fast as you can, they are very useful for all units and while playing.
  • There is a 110% bonus when you grind the next unit with the one you are playing, AND a bonus of finishing all the modules (no need to pay SL, just unlock) in a row.
  • Do Rank 1 and 2 of ALL the trees, even the dreaded French ones*
  • Log into game, DAILY.  Collect and use the Bonus items (you can collect almost 4 days worth, use all at same time).  These help your progress greatly.  
  • Log into game DAILY also lets you catch any surprise special Gaijin may toss out (check web site too).

Once you have Rank 2 done, do the War Bonds, DAILY.  Most of the "50" War Bonds are easy to do (level 2 "100" war bonds need Rank 3). 

I also highly recommend you do the Rank 1 of all Aircraft and Fleet.  This is not a major effort, about 3 months for all units.

(Yes, that is a lot of info even for basic advice, most players will help you understand it all)

War Thunder has a very compelling semi-combined arms game system, and despite limitations you will probably find something you really enjoy.

Oh, and it will take you 10 years to unlock 80% of the units in game now (you are forever a minion of the Snail!  muwahahahaha)

• Upvote 2

"Trying to reason with a dubious account that clearly has no intention of playing the game or is purposefully spreading misinformation is counterproductive to anything.  "

Im a New Player, any veterans with "15,640" games beats anything I will ever get. I know Ive only put in 1% as many games as you, but that is rude to accuse rookies, newbs, new players of "spreading disinformation". I havent lied and I dont know if anyone else here has.

War Thunder has some great ideals but brutal difficulty and extreme grinding. Some people will recognize the weak points of 150+ ground vehicles, know the perfect ammunition for every situation, and be something like the top 5% of players worldwide.

Im not one of those people. Im still learning details between opening this topic and this post, and mastering the game is beyond me. Ill keep grinding or quit and move on. There isnt much left to say that I or other people have contributed. Thanks for talking.

You ask a reasonable question in OP. You get a ton of good, honest answers (some bickering from other posters, it is a forum after all).

You contradict much of that advice even after admitting you have no experience in the game. 

More advice is given again all positive. Players point out you don't lose money in the beginning. Sub 10 year old players can grind through multiple T1/T2 tech trees with non premium accounts, I have seen it.

You claim to be a seasoned gamer and played a game that is reasonably similar for many years. I and other players are calling nonsense. 

Your response

7 hours ago, chaosticket said:

I hate to praise World of Tanks in another game, but WoT is the better Casual Arcade Game. I take for granted things like the "tank radar", lock-on targeting, Hit Points, fast vehicle/turrets speeds, non-respawning enemies, and easy profit(until the high tiers). Fair and Fun.

It just sounds like an advertisement or an agenda. If a person doesn't like a free game after a few hours they quit, nothing ventured nothing gained. They don't go on the forums and argue why the game is bad and another game is better and rebut every piece of advice they asked for. 

Sorry, I remain dubious. 

Edited by Galen503
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Pony51 said:
  • Pay SL to unlock all the Crew Slots as soon as you can.
  • I highly recommend any GE you get to unlock the first Crew Slots for all nations (200 GE each).  It is worth spending some money to do this (I think $10 to 20)

Why? I did the SL part...i see no reason to spend GE in the 6th crew slot...5 crew slots are usually enough to play 2 or 3 games with each nation (more if you avoid deaths, of course). I even saw someone recommending you use only 3 crew slots to improve crew progress speed (not that i agree).

Use the CREW EXPERT as much as you can, the +3 bonus makes a big difference

I also do this (as i like to play all vehicles)...however, someone above claims you should NOT do it for vehicles you rarely use. I guess it depends on how much you use the vehicle particularly if economy is not going well and/or vehicle crews are expensive.

Rest of the tips seem very good and important for the ECONOMY...

I also highly recommend you do the Rank 1 of all Aircraft and Fleet.  This is not a major effort, about 3 months for all units.

Just curious...why? It can be a bit boring for a Tank player to play Planes or Ships...assuming he likes only tanks.

Once you train your crew up to a basic level, you can simply play your crew to elite level for free as well, which is a really cool feature for your favorite vehicles. Of course it takes time and effort, but even that is not behind a pay wall.

medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

I even saw someone recommending you use only 3 crew slots to improve crew progress speed (not that i agree).

That was likely me. My suggestion was for tank arcade. Where you can only use 3 tanks total. Same advise would go to players of navy arcade. With time, you will find a use for crew #4. But before then, focus your crew experience.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 hours ago, chaosticket said:

I figured out how to turn off automatic repairs early this morning. 20minute repair times so far. Checking higher tiers and they get hours and eventually a week or more. That reminds of the saying "Between a Rock and a Hard Place"

========================

If you want the arcade experience WoT is the game for you, War Thunder is not a simulation by any means but it's much more realistic than WoT, vehicles are based on their real performance, if a vehicle had a slow turret in game it will have a slow turret and you just can't upgrade it with an module to improve it. All vehicles loosely resemble their real life performance.

This game sometimes feels like real war, many times it's not fair, you will just die by a random shots from someone in a better position but it's also so rewarding when you can outplay your enemies because you know how hard it is, it's not just about shooting faster, you need to outmatch your enemies in multiple requisites.

You don't need to turn off automatic repair, low tiers (up to tier IV) you can easily make money and not worry about it. Also low tiers are very fast to grind, you just need to get used to the new game play.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 11/10/2020 at 23:27, chaosticket said:

I played World of Tanks from 2011-2015. Instead of trying to go back there I came to War Thunder to get the Tanks working. I am a casual player so serious grinding requirements worry me.

The real concern I have is about the game being padded. I see there are apparently 7 "ranks" of vehicles. I dont know if Ranks affect the matchmaker or is that is what Battle Rating is for?

#1 Tech Trees, there are 9 different nations so completing them all will take a lot of time. People have to unlock new ranks by researching and purchasing (6/6/6/6/5/4) 33 Total new vehicles to get to the final tier? Why so many? That seems like a massive grind to play something like a Leopard 2 or T-80. Unless the Gun is a significant improved over the last vehicle the purchase doesnt even seem to have a point but to make the tech trees larger.

#2 Costs: Repair work seems Free to begin with, but then vehicles stop having Free repairs.
Why do I have to retrain crew over and over for every vehicle , even when its a small difference like the M2/M3/M5 Stuart? I know that is real life but its padding to increase costs of research and purchasing.

#3 Are high tier vehicles glorified trophies? I Ran into this situation if World of Tanks where the higher tier vehicles were basically impossible to make a profit from battles so even getting them was a waste of time and money.
Do higher rank vehicles have multiplied rewards to handle the costs in repairs, crew retraining, upgrades, and ammunition? They should make back all the costs to unlock and purchase them.

The game is pretty fun at rank 1 but as soon as I start getting to Rank 2 I think all the fun will go away as the game becomes Pay-To-Play. Id like to know sooner rather than later if any Cash$ will be required to get to those Top Tier Rank 7 vehicles.

just stay away from France and Italy. These two are the highest repair cost nations, for example ground from rank 4 on will cause you to loose a lot of sl as a free to play player, especially the french.

The big 3 have more or less normal repair prices. For example rank 5 Germany has minor repair costs compared to French rank 4(not to mention with the french you wont have full lineups)

from rank I to III its always cheap to repair. If you want to get to the top tier with no real money invested i would vauch for Germany or Russia. Also sell event vehicles and you will get 60-100GJN coins easily per event, which amounts to easily over 10 000GE. Thats what i do. Milk the pay pigs, like Gaijin does

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Why? I did the SL part...i see no reason to spend GE in the 6th crew slot...5 crew slots are usually enough to play 2 or 3 games with each nation (more if you avoid deaths, of course). I even saw someone recommending you use only 3 crew slots to improve crew progress speed (not that i agree).

Armor has Light, Medium, and Heavy tanks, SPAA, and ATG (have 5).  Players also love to take in some fast Reserve units (BT-5, M2A), now we have 6.  And what if they want to take a fighter and attacker? There is 8.  Perhaps he like to have a few more heavies in lineup?  Now we at 9.

For years I had 5, and it simply was too few slots.  I have 6 in all, and 7 with the biggest trees (US, Germany, USSR) and do better in my games.

I also do this (as i like to play all vehicles)...however, someone above claims you should NOT do it for vehicles you rarely use. I guess it depends on how much you use the vehicle particularly if economy is not going well and/or vehicle crews are expensive.

I did say "as much as you can", so yes some units are as you said.  I would say if the plan is to Spade it, then Expert it.

There is also the benefit free Ace crew, after playing a rarely used unit for years.

Rest of the tips seem very good and important for the ECONOMY...

Just curious...why? It can be a bit boring for a Tank player to play Planes or Ships...assuming he likes only tanks.

Experience, knowledge, inspiration, something new, change of pace, etc.

At the very least will earn Crew XP points with very cheap units (Crew XP earned in one tree can be used for another tree).

3 hours ago, Jacky95 said:

just stay away from France and Italy. These two are the highest repair cost nations, for example ground from rank 4 on will cause you to loose a lot of sl as a free to play player, especially the french.

Up to Rank 2 both are fine.  

GJ changes the economies all the time, often down.  When it happens then ready to do higher ranks.

1 hour ago, Pony51 said:

Armor has Light, Medium, and Heavy tanks, SPAA, and ATG (have 5).  Players also love to take in some fast Reserve units (BT-5, M2A), now we have 6.  And what if they want to take a fighter and attacker?

Ah. I play mostly AB...so no point taking planes. And i rarely have more than 4 vehicles i can play at any BR. OP also plays AB, so i think this has a cost that is not worth it (in AB). In RB i get the why.

1 hour ago, Pony51 said:

Up to Rank 2 both are fine.

Actually...playing french tanks at rank 1 and 2 can make a player quit the game in frustration...beware. Not the economy...tanks are very bad and difficult to use.

Italians are fine.

• Upvote 1

Anything frustrating in a game meant for fun can reasonably result in quitting that game. Im grinding to prove I can endure, but its quickly boring knowing that I cant actually beat the curve with weapon upgrades.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, chaosticket said:

Anything frustrating in a game meant for fun can reasonably result in quitting that game. Im grinding to prove I can endure, but its quickly boring knowing that I cant actually beat the curve with weapon upgrades.

Competitive games can't provide fun to all, especially not to inexperienced players seeking quick success.

Indeed you can't beat the curve (? whatever) with weapon upgrades. You can beat almost anything with experience though. That you have to gain first. It can't be bought.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Its doubtful I will ever have the confidence of putting money into this game. Some days I just get one-shot over and over. Originally I was worried about High tiers. After only a  few days I became far more concerned the inherent unbalanced difficulty.

Its never going to get easier is it?

Edited by chaosticket

It does get easier. You still get shot in the face a lot but you get to shoot back too. I switched off the join games in progress thing as well - can't recall where it is but Google is your friend. I just play RB for what it's worth. :)

It's a game. You have to learn how it works. And as anyone who has ever been inside a tank will tell you it's not remotely realistic.