In realistic mode tanks on any surface slip and slide like Rally cars do on loose gravel.

This seems horribly unrealistic. Is this just a low Rank thing?

Edited by Canuck_Lad

Occasionally you come across this in faster vehicles coming to a quick stop. Inertia wins...

Spoiler

1455749068-abramsdrift.gif?crop=1xw:1.0x

This is why you can't give marines nice things.

Edited by Galen503
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Galen503 said:

Occasionally you come across this in faster vehicles coming to a quick stop. Inertia wins...

I mean while just turning. And what I'm saying is I don't think it possible for vehicles of this weight to slide as much as they do. Regardless of crew skill, it seems physically impossible.

31 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

I mean while just turning. And what I'm saying is I don't think it possible for vehicles of this weight to slide as much as they do. Regardless of crew skill, it seems physically impossible.

In arcade yes. Its arcade so what is physically impossible is allowed for the sake of faster and more stimulating game play.

In realistic it is less obvious. Tanks turn more slowly and both tracks must move during a turn in most cases better demonstrating a full turn. You can only turn in place when one track is moving in one direction and the other in the opposite other wise you turn in a circle so there is no "slide" effect. With a well trained crew sometimes I notice the slide effect.  

Simulator feels like driving in quicksand and you can't really see anything the TC can't see, its rather brutal in comparison. 

My advice is test drive the tiger II Sla 16 premium (its free) in all three modes and see what you think. That may answer your question better than I am. 

Edited by Galen503

6 minutes ago, Galen503 said:

In arcade yes. Its arcade so what is physically impossible is allowed for the sake of faster and more stimulating game play.

In realistic it is less obvious. Tanks turn more slowly and both tracks must move during a turn in most cases better demonstrating a full turn. You can only turn in place when one track is moving in one direction and the other in the opposite other wise you turn in a circle so there is no "slide" effect. 

I'm in realistic mode, not arcade. 

I can power slide my American rank 1 tanks on grass really easily.

5 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

I'm in realistic mode, not arcade. 

I can power slide my American rank 1 tanks on grass really easily.

Well all I got left for you is experiment with the American premiums and see if the level of modeling is for you before you invest too much time. It's a fair complaint. 

Tanks slide, have very awkward and sometime absurd behaviors traversing hills, climb up slopes they can't possibly get up in real life, get stuck on rocks they could easily crush, run over one material then get stuck on the exact same thing 10 meters later, roll over and end up back on their tracks with no crew damage, hit a small insignificant object and fly through the air like it is a ramp etc, etc, etc...

In a very general sense the physics are far from perfect across the board. It's a fun game and you love to hate it. Far from perfect but nothing else quite like it at the moment. GLHF. 

11 minutes ago, Galen503 said:

Well all I got left for you is experiment with the American premiums and see if the level of modeling is for you before you invest too much time. It's a fair complaint. 

Tanks slide, have very awkward and sometime absurd behaviors traversing hills, climb up slopes they can't possibly get up in real life, get stuck on rocks they could easily crush, run over one material then get stuck on the exact same thing 10 meters later, roll over and end up back on their tracks with no crew damage, hit a small insignificant object and fly through the air like it is a ramp etc, etc, etc...

In a very general sense the physics are far from perfect across the board. It's a fun game and you love to hate it. Far from perfect but nothing else quite like it at the moment. GLHF. 

This is rather disappointing to hear after having watched quite a few videos bragging that the drive handling physics are so much more realistic than in World of Tanks (which doesn't have the sliding issue). What I'm hearing is that WT is much worse for driving characteristics. I've 8 years in WOT, but hate World War I and II tanks, so I thought I'd try this. Plus, the Apache. I LOVE that helicopter.

You mention trying premiums. I assume they're non-free?

Perhaps I'll try Star Conflict instead.

It's too bad there isn't a modern TRON tank game, that'd be neat!

Edited by Canuck_Lad

2 hours ago, Canuck_Lad said:

In realistic mode tanks on any surface slip and slide like Rally cars do on loose gravel.

This seems horribly unrealistic. Is this just a low Rank thing?

You may be oversteering. This isn't that much of a problem >25kph but low rank tanks easily go above these speeds and it can be annoying. Try using A/D more lightly, maybe that will help. 

11 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

This is rather disappointing to hear after having watched quite a few videos bragging that the drive handling physics are so much more realistic than in World of Tanks (which doesn't have the sliding issue). What I'm hearing is that WT is much worse for driving characteristics. I've 8 years in WOT, but hate World War I and II tanks, so I thought I'd try this. Plus, the Apache. I LOVE that helicopter.

It's too bad there wasn't a modern TRON tank game, that'd be neat!

I spent a while on WoT (1000s of games lots of top tier) Left in 2013 and don't go back often. When I do I am sad for my 8 year younger self who thought that was a tank game. The is an FPS with objects that look like tanks.  

If you want a tank game there is no other choice. The physics, damage models, graphics, community are all better and attempt to demonstrate real tanks. Its a much harder game and the grind is going to take a long time.

Nothing is perfect. If you are looking for a reason to walk away don't let me stop you. If you really are looking for a tank game give it more than 50 games and you might find the small bug issues are worth it. 

Edited by Galen503

9 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

This is rather disappointing to hear after having watched quite a few videos bragging that the drive handling physics are so much more realistic than in World of Tanks (which doesn't have the same sliding issue). What I'm hearing is that WT is much worse for driving characteristics. I've 8 years in WOT, but hate World War I and II tanks, so I thought I'd try this. Plus, the Apache. I LOVE that helicopter.

It's too bad there wasn't a modern TRON tank game, that'd be neat!

Unfortunately, you won't be getting to anything top-tier in under 5 months, assuming you pay for premium time and/or a premium vehicle to supplement your lineup. You'll have to grind through post-WWI and WWII-era tanks, no matter what (although some of the most fun gameplay is at these BRs). I see you only have 27 battles, I'd recommend giving the game a bit more of a chance. 

Edit- What Galen is referring to is a premium vehicle test drive. Find a premium vehicle, click on it, and an option for "Test Drive" will appear. You will still have to buy the premium to play it in real battles. though.

Edited by apiece_

11 minutes ago, apiece_ said:

You may be oversteering. This isn't that much of a problem >25kph but low rank tanks easily go above these speeds and it can be annoying. Try using A/D more lightly, maybe that will help. 

Keyboards are binary. The key is either pressed, or it's not. You can't half press a key, they are not pressure sensitive. They are just on/off switches.

Edited by Canuck_Lad

4 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

Keyboards are binary. The key is either pressed, or it's not. You can't half press a key, they are not pressure sensitive. They are just on/off switches.

I meant to not fully hold down A or D to make a turn. Use quick taps to get a more precise direction. 

20 minutes ago, Galen503 said:

If you want a tank game there is no other choice. The physics, damage models, graphics, community are all better and attempt to demonstrate real tanks. Its a much harder game and the grind is going to take a long time.

Graphics? WOT has the better graphics (you may not have seen it recently), and the User Interface (UI) in WOT is WAY better. The UI in War Thunder is very amateurish, it looks like it was designed in VB6 by a software developer (as opposed to an artist).

But there are things I don't like about WOT:

• Buying a new tank and having a useless stock gun and turret
  • Premium ammo that makes playing heavy tanks almost pointless
  • The community is horribly caustic (granted I've run into a few [email protected]#kwits already in WT)
  • The spotting mechanics are silly (tanks magically appearing seems odd)

7 minutes ago, apiece_ said:

I meant to not fully hold down A or D to make a turn. Use quick taps to get a more precise direction. 

It seems odd that I'd have to do that in a game developed for players who will primarily be using a keyboard. In WOT for example the sliding issue doesn't exist. Is it a bug that WT will fix?

Edited by Canuck_Lad

2 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

Graphics? WOT has the better graphics (you may not have seen it recently), and the User Interface (UI) of War Thunder is very amateurish, it's not aesthetically pleasing at all. It's better than I can do, but it's not well done.

But there are things I don't like about WOT:

• Buying a new tank and having a useless stock gun and turret
  • Premium ammo that makes playing heavy tanks almost pointless
  • The community is horribly caustic
  • The spotting mechanics are silly (tanks magically appearing seems odd)

It seems odd that I'd have to do that in a game developed for players who will primarily be using a keyboard. In WOT for example the sliding issue doesn't exist. Is it a bug that WT will fix?

Been a few years. Either way it seems you still have some affection for the game. My final thought would be you are comparing apples to oranges. They are two very, very different games. I wouldn't go into Warthunder comparing the two. Realistic mode is a totally different beast. Let go... or don't. 

The community is friendly here and you learn to really love tanks and aircraft. No one really cares about your stats and you are welcome to have opinions that are typically respected about any vehicle regardless of how well you play it. But make a false claim about the penetration of a certain ammo type without corroborated data or a vehicle that doesn't have countless pages of documentation and there will be outrage. 

Modern vehicles are interesting. Heli's are frustrating but fun. CAS is the most fun you will ever have playing a video game, unless it's on the other team. 

If you really want to give it a chance it takes until at least BR 3.7. 

Its an acquired taste and the learning curve is more steep. Its an easier game to master in many ways but a harder game to learn. 

Can a tank - especially a light one slide on its tracks?

Damned straight it can!!  A bit of water helps of course...

(wait for the 2nd one!)

And here's some nice slow speed drifting - 

And the chinese - 

And beware those military convoys.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/russian-tank-handbrake-turns-smashes-11084516

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

8 minutes ago, Galen503 said:

Been a few years. Either way it seems you still have some affection for the game. My final thought would be you are comparing apples to oranges. They are two very, very different games. I wouldn't go into Warthunder comparing the two. Realistic mode is a totally different beast. Let go... or don't. 

The community is friendly here and you learn to really love tanks and aircraft. No one really cares about your stats and you are welcome to have opinions that are typically respected about any vehicle regardless of how well you play it. But make a false claim about the penetration of a certain ammo type without corroborated data or a vehicle that doesn't have countless pages of documentation and there will be outrage. 

Modern vehicles are interesting. Heli's are frustrating but fun. CAS is the most fun you will ever have playing a video game, unless it's on the other team. 

If you really want to give it a chance it takes until at least BR 3.7. 

Its an acquired taste and the learning curve is more steep. Its an easier game to master in many ways but a harder game to learn. 

I'm playing in Realistic mode. In arcade mode it was just stupid how much tanks slid around. It wasn't even remotely realistic, and spoiled the game for me.

Unfortunately my fav tank is Russian, and my favorite heli is American :(

I'm not saying I won't play, I'm not saying I don't like WT.

With my vision I'm thinking this will be a very very hard game to play. I have trouble distinguishing enemy tanks from the scenery, even when using binoculars. I tend to be a little slow processing things visually (not just in games). My experience so far is that I'm killed while using binoculars just trying to find things to shoot at.

7 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Can a tank - especially a light one slide on its tracks?

Damned straight it can!!  A bit of water helps of course...

Most of those were on concrete which provides very little friction. I'm talking about tanks spinning out when on grass as if they were on ice.

Edited by Canuck_Lad
  • Sad 1

Concrete provides plenty of friction - how else do they get up to speed in the first place??  Plus those tanks still have 40-50-60 tons to slide around!

Soft earth is definitely a bit harder to slide on but the tumbling Russian tank manages it before digging in too far.

Grass of course also provides some in-built liquid lubrication once it starts crushing, plus we are all driving flat out at speeds they never would have IRL - so try to use a little imaginatoin instead of just beign a negative nelly.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

I'm playing in Realistic mode. In arcade mode it was just stupid how much tanks slid around. It wasn't even remotely realistic, and spoiled the game for me.

I'm not saying I won't play, I'm not saying I don't like WT.

With my vision I'm thinking this will be a very very hard game to play. I have trouble distinguishing enemy tanks from the scenery, even when using binoculars. I tend to be a little slow processing things visually (not just in games). My experience so far is that I'm killed while using binoculars just trying to find things to shoot at.

Most of those were on concrete which provides very little friction. I'm talking about tanks spinning out when on grass as if they were on ice.

Yeah I'm red/green color blind. Game is very hard for me to see. Interesting winter maps are the hardest. Anyway good luck. The guy is just having some fun. 

and because I can (don't you miss people calling out your xvm score)

Spoiler

Actually it kind of slides a bit

Edited by Galen503

5 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

Realistic tank battles, especially to a new player, can seem incredibly hard, or even impossible, and unfortunately there's no definite guide to helping you succeed. Skill will only come from experience (hopefully i'm not coming off as elitist :p). Give the game at least until 4.0ish, as low tier gameplay is not reflective of the game as a whole. It took me ~400-500 battles until I started to actually get results. I totally understand if you don't want to put that amount of time and effort into the game, but it would be an unfair assessment of WT if you didn't. Helis will have to be a long-term goal, probably, seeing as you have to get a Rank V airplane or tank to have one. 

Some tips for tank RB:

Look at the maps and the directions that players go at the start of the match. Most low tier maps have streets or pathways that "funnel" players from one side of the map to the capture point(s). These are the main directions enemies will approach from.

Reverse psychology- Think "If I were the enemy, what would be the best spot to kill me from?" This is a simple trick that will help you pick safe locations to shoot from and travel across. 

Try to stick with a teammate/squadmate- They can provide additional fire and help you spot/finish off enemies. An experienced squadmate can be a real asset, as they can set a good example to follow.

Try out aircraft! While being much harder to master, low-tier planes are a fun and game-winning asset. While most low tier planes have limited, if any secondary weapons, they can still prove effective at strafing out open-top tanks, which are plentiful at 1.0-2.0. Some good and easy-to-fly planes that can work well are the Russian I-15bis and BB-1 (1.0 and 1.3, respectively). The former carries 6 highly potent RBS-82 rockets, and the latter can carry 2x250kg bombs, which are very potent at that BR.

Binoculars are a great asset, but deny the user of situational awareness. Use them for peeking over ridgelines or to spot enemies on open maps. 

1 hour ago, apiece_ said:

Binoculars are a great asset, but deny the user of situational awareness. Use them for peeking over ridgelines or to spot enemies on open maps. 

I need binocs, or to be fully zoomed in, to see any enemy that isn't in the open or immediately in front of me. Otherwise I can't see enemy tanks.

2 hours ago, Galen503 said:

and because I can (don't you miss people calling out your xvm score)

because you can what? I'm not sure what this is in reference to.

I think XVM ruined WOT. I'm glad you can now anonymise your nickname in WOT which defeats XVM.

12 hours ago, Canuck_Lad said:

I need binocs, or to be fully zoomed in, to see any enemy that isn't in the open or immediately in front of me. Otherwise I can't see enemy tanks.

because you can what? I'm not sure what this is in reference to.

I think XVM ruined WOT. I'm glad you can now anonymise your nickname in WOT which defeats XVM.

Most low tier maps (Advance to the Rhine, Poland, Eastern Europe, Ash River) require little to no use of binocs; almost all the combat occurs at close range. Try staying in 3rd person a bit more.