I'm very familiar with World of Tanks, so I get the idea of researching modules, but can someone explain the "Spend" and "Research (24)" buttons in the attached screenshot?

How does "Spend" vary from "Research"? Why can't I exit the window without spending RP?

If I click Spend, what exactly is it purchasing? if I click "Research (24)" what exactly is it researching?

Is 24 what I earned in the current match? If not, what is 24?

Does all my RP go to something every match, else where can I see the balance for the currently selected tank?

research.png

The research button is for accumulated "normal" research points - you have 24, and you need to allocate them to either Engine or Artillery.  You can exit the screen using the "X" in top right corner IIRC - but then your research will just accumulate and you won't get a new module unless you come back here and use that "Research" button to allocate it.

the Spend button...  less sure - don't think I've ever used it - might be for convertible Research points that you can use - but you have to spend GE to use them, and that almost always is a waste of GE - I'll "buy" the parts and FPE modules for a new vehicle using hte "purchase" button under the module (not visible in your shot), of to finish an almost complete module - my rule of thumb is <9 GE is worth it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

17 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

yes 24 is the xp earned TO THIS SPECIFIC VEHICLE and it is used to research modules 

18 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

How does "Spend" vary from "Research"? Why can't I exit the window without spending RP?

u must put the gained xp into any module u want "its for ur best as it enhance the vehicle capability" after u finished researching the selected module the number of silver cost will appear and a purchase button will replace research. 

keep in mind that u are playing low tier which has very very small rp cost for the modules thats why the window show up quickly but as u progress more xp needed to unlock a module 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Josephs_Piano said:

The research button is for accumulated "normal" research points - you have 24, and you need to allocate them to either Engine or Artillery.  You can exit the screen using the "X" in top right corner IIRC - but then your research will just accumulate and you won't get a new module unless you come back here and use that "Research" button to allocate it.

the Spend button...  less sure - don't think I've ever used it - might be for convertible Research points that you can use - but you have to spend GE to use them, and that almost always is a waste of GE - I'll "buy" the parts and FPE modules for a new vehicle using hte "purchase" button under the module (not visible in your shot), of to finish an almost complete module - my rule of thumb is <9 GE is worth it.

My screenshot is the entire window plus it's frame. I see no "X" to close the window.

So it can put 24 RP towards partially researching Engine or Artillery? If I just click the Research button, and nothing else, which is it going towards?

Purchase button? As mentioned my screenshot is the entire window including its frame, where is the purchase window?

2 minutes ago, omarrrrrrrrrrrrr said:

u must put the gained xp into any module u want "its for ur best as it enhance the vehicle capability" after u finished researching the selected module the number of silver cost will appear and a purchase button will replace research. 

keep in mind that u are playing low tier which has very very small rp cost for the modules thats why the window show up quickly but as u progress more xp needed to unlock a module 

If I click the Research button, which module is the RP going into? I didn't click or select any module. Does it automatically select?

8 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

My screenshot is the entire window plus it's frame. I see no "X" to close the window.

Pretty sure you can somehow because I sometimes get situations where I have thousands of RP not allocated because I haven't decided what module to research...... but it's not really important

So it can put 24 RP towards partially researching Engine or Artillery? If I just click the Research button, and nothing else, which is it going towards?

Why don't yo try it and see??  It's not going to do anything wild to your account and you might as well figure it out by trial and error at this stage.

I would usually just click on the next module I want to research.

Purchase button? As mentioned my screenshot is the entire window including its frame, where is the purchase window?

I remember now - once you've researched a module you have the option to purchase that module for SL if you ahven't ticked "autopurchase" - but you have ticked that, so IIRC they wil lget bought when completed automatically if yo uhave enough SL..

Don't sweat it - if it's confusing now it won't be by the time you researched your 2nd vehicle and there's hundreds to go after that!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

43 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Why don't yo try it and see??  It's not going to do anything wild to your account and you might as well figure it out by trial and error at this stage.

I would usually just click on the next module I want to research.

Don't sweat it - if it's confusing now it won't be by the time you researched your 2nd vehicle and there's hundreds to go after that!

You can't try and see, because when you click "Research", it doesn't give feedback on what it did. So yes I clicked the button, but I don't know what if anything changed. The "Research" button did change to "Finished".

I've bought a couple of vehicles. I still think the UI is very poorly done and not very intuitive :(

38 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

You can't try and see, because when you click "Research", it doesn't give feedback on what it did. So yes I clicked the button, but I don't know what if anything changed. The "Research" button did change to "Finished".

Then it must have done something - what does the page look like now?

38 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

I've bought a couple of vehicles. I still think the UI is very poorly done and not very intuitive :(

You'll get over it :)

22 hours ago, Canuck_Lad said:

Why can't I exit the window without spending RP?

if I click "Research (24)" what exactly is it researching?

Does all my RP go to something every match, else where can I see the balance for the currently selected tank?

1) You cannot exit without spending RP because the game works that way. Any RP you earn has to be allocated. The only exception is once you research all modules - then you cannot research any more thus no need to allocate any (they effectively cease to exist). Once that happens, your vehicle is "spaded" - a spade will appear on the vehicle "tab".

2) If you click "Research (24)" it will automatically select one of the three things you could be researching (Elevation Mechanism, Engine, or Artillery in your screenshot) and put 24 research points towards researching that particular module. I don't know which one will get automatically selected, because I always manually select which to research (do that by clicking on the module you want to research).

3) 24 is only part of what you earned in the current match. Your screenshot shows that "Adjustment of Fire" is researched but not yet purchased. This indicates that you earned more than 24 RP: some of the RP was put towards the "Adjustment of Fire" modification, which completed research of that module. The remainder is 24, and you now need to allocate that remainder.

FOr example, lets say adjustment of fire costs 540 RP to research. Before the match, it was at 200 of 540 RP. In the match you earned 364 RP towards researching modules on this vehicle. 340 RP would have been allocated to adjustment of fire, completing it. 24 RP remain:

364 earned -> 340 put to adjustment of fire -> 364 - 340 = 24

4) Yes, all your RP will go towards module research every match until all modules are fully researched. You can see the progress of module research by selecting a tank and clocking on "modifications"

Now, here's a critical difference I will make you aware of between world of tanks and war thunder, since you seem to come from world of tanks.

Unlike in world of tanks, you don't chose to put your earned RP towards either a module or a new tank. Your RP goes to both. Confused? Let me give you an example:

MuRWwRU.jpg

In the spoiler you can see an example of one of my post-battle screens. Note the line that says "Modifications research" and the one below "Vehicle research". Both show the same number (20540 RP).

The first line, Modifications research, tells you how much RP has gone towards researching vehicle modifications. You can see a detailed breakdown on the right hand side:

AMX-30 (1972) received RP for Elevation mechanism

AMX-50 Foch received RP for FPE
AMX-30 received RP for mark of distinction

Lorraine 40t and F4U-7 received RP, "but all modifications have been researched".

So as you can see, each vehicle that participated received some portion of the modifications RP, but one some, all modifications were already researched, so the RP simply "disappeared".

HOWEVER: all RP, 20540, still went towards researching the new tech tree vehicle. This is not like WoT where you gain, for example, 5000 XP and have to decide to either use it to research a mod or a new tank. Here, instead of getting X amount of RP and choosing to use it for either mods or new tanks, you get X amount of RP for researching mods and the same total amount for new vehicle research.

Edited by sw_3
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2020 at 23:03, Canuck_Lad said:

If I click the Research button, which module is the RP going into? I didn't click or select any module. Does it automatically select?

I think you are overcomplicating things...

End of match, if you complete the research on a module, you can allocate the RPs that are left to other module. You just choose it (click on it) and it will be researched until complete...then you choose another...

On your screenshot you have 3 modules you can allocate research to...just choose the one you want.

YOU SHOULD SELECT THE ONE YOU WANT before moving on...interface is designed to "force" you to choose.

You do this to all vehicles that completed a module (if more than one).

Additionally...you can BUY (with SL) the modules that you researched...in your screenshot only "Adjustment of fire" needs to be bought...all others are already purchased (or still unresearched). (you have autopurchase on, so game will do this for you anyway)

Note...you can change the module being researched later...but the initial RPs (24 in your case) will be allocated to your choice at end of match...

Edited by [email protected]