New player, Apache, spotting mechanics, etc

I've played World of Tanks for about 8 years, and now I'm trying WT. If it matters for this topic I play with the highest graphics settings (I've a very high end system and GPU), and I play in realistic mode because I don't like how tanks slide around like they're on ice in the default mode.

My primary reason for wanting to play WT is because I LOVE the Apache helicopter. It's very aesthetically pleasing to me, and aesthetics are extremely important to me. WT also has MBTs. I find World War 1 and 2 tanks, for the most part, particularly ugly.

So I'm a new player. I might have 15 games to my name. I'm killed a lot before I even see the enemy. Should I be near constantly using binoculars if it's possible the enemy might be nearby? Doesn't that make the game very campy?

Is the Apache fun to play (primarily looking at the US line)?

I couldn't find any other game offering the Apache. There is a mod for DCS world, but I find that sim buggy and the landscape has terribly low resolution even in the highest settings. Microsoft's flight sim has an Apache that can be purchased, but I imagine there are no combat missions.

Does anyone know of a site/video that explains the research window displayed after combat? I find it very confusing. For example, the bottom left has a button I think called "purchase", and bottom right button "Research (X)". What's the difference between these buttons? What does that bottom left button do when you've the option checked to auto purchase upgrades? Why does it sometimes say I've researched everything and the experience will go to the next tank when I can see that not all modules on the current tank are researched? Why does this window auto appear after every battle?

I'd it not possible to zoom out do I can see all of my tank at once? As if my view was from say 90 foot away from my tank? I find it difficult to get my bearings with such a narrow view.

Edited by Canuck_Lad

if u look forward to apache, there is a game named squad, its more authentic than the apache in this game, beside it will take u ages to grind for the apache except if u bought the premium one which is garbage now because its hellfire+locking system is bugged af

medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, omarrrrrrrrrrrrr said:

if u look forward to apache, there is a game named squad, its more authentic than the apache in this game, 

Squad is a first person shooter though, generally speaking I don't like those, and I'm bad enough at them that other people don't like playing with me anyways.

I don't mind tank battles, I just have far more interest in the Apache gameplay.

the game anniversary will be at the end of this month u could try and get the T29 heavy tank with 20$ which is recommended to learn the game, or try and get the (xm-1 and apache pack) 

23 minutes ago, Canuck_Lad said:

Does anyone know of a site/video that explains the research window displayed after combat? I find it very confusing. For example, the bottom left has a button I think called "purchase", and bottom right button "Research (X)". What's the difference between these buttons? What does that bottom left button do when you've the option checked to auto purchase upgrades? Why does it sometimes say I've researched everything and the experience will go to the next tank when I can see that not all modules on the current tank are researched? Why does this window auto appear after every battle?

the window that show up is the modifications of the vehicle that u played with. u need to grind the modifications like parts ( make u repair) or fpe (extinguish the fire) or the adjustment of fire (improve accuracy), just like WOT when u unlock a new tank u need to grind its track,engine....blah blah. the reseach button select what u need to reseach the next one and after u collect all the required xp for this mod, a purchase button will appear to buy the researched mod 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=war+thunder+beginner's+guide feel free to watch those 

medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, omarrrrrrrrrrrrr said:

the game anniversary will be at the . u need to grind the modifications like parts ( make u repair) or fpe (extinguish the fire) or the adjustment of fire (improve accuracy), just like WOT when u unlock a new tank u need to grind its track,engine....blah blah. the reseach button select what u need to reseach the next one and after u collect all the required xp for this mod, a purchase button will appear to buy the researched mod 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=war+thunder+beginner's+guide feel free to watch those 

I get that you have to grind mods to unlock other vehicles, what I don't understand is what the buttons do as described in my post. For example, the only way to exit the window is  to click that Research button. So you have to research something every time?

I'll watch the videos you posted, it might offer clarity. The UI, in my opinion, is very non intuitive for the window I describe.

In fact the UI in general looks very amateurish. Like something I'd find in an open source game, or made by a VB6 IDE.

Edited by Canuck_Lad

Talking sim gf battles here. Apaches can still be fun but you gotta accept it's gonna be a rather tough uphill battle versus the current russian top tier helis. The hellfires tracking being semi-broken as of the last major patch certainly doesn't help here either.

Still, trying to sneak up on those russian killing machines or attempting to shoot down jets with the stingers or the odd case where the hellfires decide not to fail to hit are somewhat rewarding and enjoyable.

medal