Solid Shot after penetrating.

I was reading some of Ian V Hogg's "Tank Killers", an old book detailing the rise of the tank and its counter measures. One of the things that struck me as interesting for War Thunder was something that went (from memory*) something like this:

"When solid shot penetrated armour it bounced around the interior of the tank, killing the crew and demolishing equipment". 

How would you model this in War Thunder? It would certainly change the early-game meta.

(*I've just moved house so I can't find the book)

medal medal

33 minutes ago, DeadlyTreadly said:

I was reading some of Ian V Hogg's "Tank Killers", an old book detailing the rise of the tank and its counter measures. One of the things that struck me as interesting for War Thunder was something that went (from memory*) something like this:

"When solid shot penetrated armour it bounced around the interior of the tank, killing the crew and demolishing equipment". 

How would you model this in War Thunder? It would certainly change the early-game meta.

(*I've just moved house so I can't find the book)

it already can, though i dont see it as much as i use too

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, DeadlyTreadly said:

i've seen this playing with my loved APCBC specially when shooting at an angled side plate in the tiger with  the 17 pdr. However it's rare. Since the shoot usually shatters post impact or just goes all the way through. I can imagine see that if we penetrate a Tiger II frontal turret plate if, the shot does not spalls after penetration. Then it might bounce in the curvy side of the turret. Pretty rare stuff or it happens and i do not realize.

medal medal

11 hours ago, DeadlyTreadly said:

Shrapnels could be bouncing, but it is not that which is killing the crew. Metal-metal bounce is very energy consuming, which means that bounced shrapnel is not having a lot of energy (at least much smaller than it had). After solid shot penetration, everything (and everyone) which was in the shot trajectory (or it's fragments) was either dead or burning (or both). Bouncing shrapnels were not the main destroying force. During the WW2 crews of penetrated UK tanks were whole (no one killed) in large portion of penetrations (somewhere between 40-50%).

On 25/08/2020 at 01:01, Godman_82 said:

Shrapnels could be bouncing, but it is not that which is killing the crew. Metal-metal bounce is very energy consuming, which means that bounced shrapnel is not having a lot of energy (at least much smaller than it had). After solid shot penetration, everything (and everyone) which was in the shot trajectory (or it's fragments) was either dead or burning (or both). Bouncing shrapnels were not the main destroying force. During the WW2 crews of penetrated UK tanks were whole (no one killed) in large portion of penetrations (somewhere between 40-50%).

You forgot to take into account that the german PzGr.39 shells more often than not do not fragment, even after their filler detonated. The lethality of british shot, after penetrating a heavy enough target to make it breakup into fragments, would've likely been greater.

On 29/08/2020 at 12:27, Peasant_wb said:

You forgot to take into account that the german PzGr.39 shells more often than not do not fragment, even after their filler detonated. The lethality of british shot, after penetrating a heavy enough target to make it breakup into fragments, would've likely been greater.

Yes, any full bore round could stay intact after penetration, just a matter of armor and velocity. Of course capped projectiles were intact more often, as this is the purpose of the cap.

17 hours ago, Godman_82 said:

Yes, any full bore round could stay intact after penetration, just a matter of armor and velocity. Of course capped projectiles were intact more often, as this is the purpose of the cap.

I'm saying that british shot, both capped and uncapped, was more likely to fracture than other nations designs. This was likely by design in order to compensate for the lack of HE filler inside, but in some instances it could reduce the penetration capability, namely at low to intermediate obliquity impact against relatively thick plate.

Spoiler

0xmxp9m.jpg

6pdr APCBC against Tiger I side armour. The critical velocity for best quality shot vs 82mm/30° is about 2430fps from british chart for this shell.

Spoiler

OhdzEbH.jpg