War Thunder not working with Vulkan (Ubuntu 20.04)

Good day,

I recently downloaded War Thunder for Ubuntu and tried to get Vulkan to work because I have low FPS with OpenGL. I used this guide https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/8ul51x/howto_run_war_thunder_with_vulkan/. The only thing I didn't know how to get to work was the "-forcestart -driver:vulkan" for the shortcut.

Everything works fine until after the game tries to connect to the servers. I then get this error. I tried removing the cache file and reinstalling the game so far. Please note that I am a beginner when it comes to Ubuntu.

Snímka obrazovky z 2020-08-16 15-53-12.png

medal

I don't believe vulkan is at all supported, and according to some people here one of the recent updates completely broke the workaround people used to get it working (I experienced extreme client instability with it, so just stuck with OpenGL, even though it sucks, comparatively speaking).

medal medal medal

On 18/08/2020 at 17:20, [email protected] said:

what drivers and everything are you using?   they got it working upstream just fine.

Sorry no. It crashes with latest drivers. And if it wont crash it flickers like hell. It works for you probably cuz you have high-end gpu with a lot of vram.

Here is how it looks on my potatoe( and no - those aren't recording artifacts ):

medal medal medal

On 20/08/2020 at 17:23, Remaros said:

Sorry no. It crashes with latest drivers. And if it wont crash it flickers like hell. It works for you probably cuz you have high-end gpu with a lot of vram.

Here is how it looks on my potatoe( and no - those aren't recording artifacts ):

It's for sale you know.

I can only watch open source stuff on this machine through Firefox on YouTube right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203054233117?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Anyway.  I heard the AMD Rx 5700's are out performing the nvidia chips.  ONny thing.  You need PCI 4.0.  I haven't tested any of this, but new NVIDIA graphics cards should push the price down with in the next 2 years.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-navi-high-end-up-to-17-percent-faster-nvidia-rtx-2080-ti/

They are built on the 7nm process unlike NVidia which is 12nm process, so no surprise AMD is starting to win.

Also apparently Intel is working on something: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xe-graphics-all-we-know

That will drive prices down furtherly.

Edited by [email protected]
medal medal

• 1 month later...
On 23/08/2020 at 11:25, [email protected] said:

It's for sale you know.

I can only watch open source stuff on this machine through Firefox on YouTube right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203054233117?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Anyway.  I heard the AMD Rx 5700's are out performing the nvidia chips.  ONny thing.  You need PCI 4.0.  I haven't tested any of this, but new NVIDIA graphics cards should push the price down with in the next 2 years.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-navi-high-end-up-to-17-percent-faster-nvidia-rtx-2080-ti/

They are built on the 7nm process unlike NVidia which is 12nm process, so no surprise AMD is starting to win.

Also apparently Intel is working on something: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xe-graphics-all-we-know

That will drive prices down furtherly.

RX 5700 do not need PCI 4.0, They are backwards compatible with 3.0

medal medal

I've got vulkan working under plasma with nvidia card, but because I must kill kwin_x11 it looses gamma control and my game is quite dark.

No idea how to regain gamma control without a compositor sadly.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Ok for those with nvidia cards and running latest 455 driver. This is my little launch script for plasma desktop managers.

I run a 1080ti; I'm sure someone talented enough could compress this into a single command line argument, but it works for me. 

Notice I reset gamma a few times, that's because without gamma adjustments (to 0.72 ish), my screen gets too bright and the LCD OSD is not easy to adjust so I do it via nvidia drivers (that you can't use when kwin is down btw).

#!/bin/bash

killall kwin_x11

xrandr --output DP-0 --gamma 0.92

./linux64/aces -forcestart -driver:vulkan -renderer:vulkan tail --pid=$pid -f /dev/null      (this tail waits until process is exited)

kwin_x11 --replace

sleep 1

xrandr --output DP-0 --gamma 0.72

exit

UPDATE: Game crashes after a couple matches randomly. So vulkan still a no go really. 

(additionally plasma desktop can become very unstable after warthunder crash, needing a restart! Restarting the DM doesn't appear to help)

Edited by The_Riddick

Yesterday I updated to ubuntuDDE 20.10.Aafter install nvidia driver I had crash launching aces file.

I don't know why after trried some horrible performance opengl battles, I tried vulkan again and worked flawlessly!.

Today I have the on focus black screen again, so no vulkan. I tried the newest nvdia ppa driver 455, also with and without working progress at launcher but same result.

Installed ubuntuDDE 20.04 and neither!

I hope someone in or outside gaijin start works on the vulkan errors sent for years... ( I mean that on focus black screen don t seem really hard to resolve/fix!... please)

Anyone have any idea?

DeepinScreenshot_20201029170846.png

medal medal medal

4 hours ago, BoNiu said:

Yesterday I updated to ubuntuDDE 20.10.Aafter install nvidia driver I had crash launching aces file.

I don't know why after trried some horrible performance opengl battles, I tried vulkan again and worked flawlessly!.

Today I have the on focus black screen again, so no vulkan. I tried the newest nvdia ppa driver 455, also with and without working progress at launcher but same result.

Installed ubuntuDDE 20.04 and neither!

I hope someone in or outside gaijin start works on the vulkan errors sent for years... ( I mean that on focus black screen don t seem really hard to resolve/fix!... please)

Anyone have any idea?

DeepinScreenshot_20201029170846.png

I would go back to the 450 long run driver.  There is nothing in the 455 that benefits War Thunder.  It doesn't say anything about War Thunder in patch notes.  I tried them both and get no difference and now I am back on 450.   All the same bugs.  Flickering shadows in hanger. Vehicle is kind of like a flash-light lighting up world as I go around and to much contrast outside of that.  If i let it sit for long time I can get a few battles that are all right.  I 've had to reinstall everything a lot in the last few weeks.  Having so many issues, but this game seems to work still.  I get errors like that...  Restart...  update, try again later.   Over and over again until it works.

Reinstalling whole entire OS can fix problems too.

medal medal

18 minutes ago, BoNiu said:

I mean, anyone with nvidia using linux vulkan warthunder can tell me what  ubuntu flavour is using now?

:dntknw:

Last time I tried Ubuntu Studio 20.10 it didn't work, but Clear Linux dose. 

Spoiler

https://github.com/lebensterben/awesome-clear-linux

Get developer-gpu bundle and dkms bundle.  Follow guides for nvidia driver install.

Use BASH scripts for noveau driver disable, but use sudo sh./ for driver install.  and post update bash script too.

I'm getting ready to try 20.04 because Fedora no longer works for me.

medal medal

Ok after had checked today and yesterday  a lot of ubu flavours..., I can tell you warthunder linuxers looking for the Vulkan promised land at linux warthunder:

Warthunder linux with Vulkan is working now in (ArcoLinuxD+Deepin), it is an archlinux based distro.

All good till now.:good:

medal medal medal

3 hours ago, The_Riddick said:

I'll be getting a 6800XT soon so maybe the whole vulkan crashing issue won't be a problem for me then.

I saw that.  It has normal non x gddr6 and they sync it especially with ryzen5 to get more bandwidth out of memory, so to get promised performance as advertised I think you would need ryzen5?  idk  don't trust it.

medal medal

Edit, after first update arcolinux-deepin D and B are broken, so no nvidia vulkan warthunder neither.

Again for the looking of the holy linux distribution that allows you play with gaijin´s half baked vulkan warthunder client over here...

:facepalm:

Edited by BoNiu
medal medal medal

You might find its just Deepin that's allowing it to work. Instead of installing lots of different distros you could just install deepin on manjaro or something and test.

Also what did you update? the distro update or warthunder update? what was updated?  or are you saying your arcolinux install broke?

It be nice if we can narrow down WHAT updates are causing the crash, a nvidia update? a kernel update? something?

Edited by The_Riddick

8 hours ago, The_Riddick said:

You might find its just Deepin that's allowing it to work. Instead of installing lots of different distros you could just install deepin on manjaro or something and test.

Also what did you update? the distro update or warthunder update? what was updated?  or are you saying your arcolinux install broke?

It be nice if we can narrow down WHAT updates are causing the crash, a nvidia update? a kernel update? something?

First an advice:

You should drink more lime blossom tea and less caffeine... RELAX man.

I am not 100% what part of OS make some of the distros with deepin worked in the past, I tend to think that was related to window manager but now I am not fully sure.

The updates that broke my systems on last trying arcolinux D and B had hundreds of MB , because were the first ones after install the rolling realease systems. Again not sure what part of them mess it. I have read that deepin 20 is the culprit...

medal medal medal

18 hours ago, BoNiu said:

RELAX man.

I was only emphasizing that you did not give enough information in your post to be helpful.

Anyway I will be spending the rest of today trying out different distros. But so far Deepin and Gnome work out of box as desktop managers go.

I'll install Pop_OS and toss plasma5 on to test things out once I confirm gnome wt works without crashes.

Testing on POP now, and vkbasalt may be a contributing factor, gotta do more tests without cas sharpening.

The other issue is the gamma setting cannot be adjusted with vulkan enabled for this game, at least for nvidia users, no idea how it is for AMD.

Edited by The_Riddick

Vulkan is now working for me with on ubuntu 20.04 with nvidia driver version 455.23.04. Much better that Opengl that gave me unstable 30-90 fps

Now I get stable 120+ fps in ground AB with graphic options set to max/ultra (GTX1060 3 GB) and no crashes for the last 2 hours playing.

Edited by tankwrt
  • Upvote 1
medal

yes, just remember to not load any overlays such as mango or vkbasalt.. Bit of a shame, but not much we can do about it.

EDIT: The overlays etc should work most times, but its good idea to test without them if you have problems.

Edited by The_Riddick

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to resolve this issue on Ubuntu 20.10 by updating nvidia drivers from 450 to 455.
I am using Proprietary GPU Drivers repository https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa .

And I have noticed if game display resolution does not match screen resolution there is a lag when clicking mouse buttons and bottom buttons in game does not work. Game display resolution must match display resolution.

Edited by iuuuuan