What makes this game so incredibly frustrating to play ?

I'm hitting a King Tiger directly from the back with BR-471D that has 239mm armor penetration. The shell enters and the ammo becomes yellow.

In other instance, I'm hitting an SPz BMP-1 with the directly from the center mass and the shell ignores the ammo rack and flies through.

In other instance, I'm hitting an Strv 81 directly from the side and the shell kills the commander but god knows why the explosive filler decides not to harm the gunner and the ammo stored in the hull, they all become yellow.

It's sad to see that realistic damage models are gone. The game now relies on high numbers of RNG to decide what's going to happen. You hit same tanks from their weakspot or from their ammo racks and meanwhile one of them dies, the other survives with minimal damage possible. And its the RNG that decides if the tank is going to die, not the place your shell enters through.

And this RNG made the game so incredibly frustrating to play for me. I hope the servers will be shut down in the near future and War Thunder will take its place in the dusty shelves of gaming history.

• Upvote 3
medal

I really hate how much XP we need to research module in top tier

I completely avoid Jet Br 7.0+ because this, stock plane is just plain garbage, you need dozens of match to actually become competitive

Not to mention all match all mixed battle, ewwww

And now we have all stock top tier tanks have heat-fs as stock shelll

good luck penning russian full of ERA armour :)

For me the max amount of XP needed for modules past Tier IV is just too much

medal

Out of the many things tha do, one is the fact, that when I leave that moronic conquest mode, switch a nation and I am put to the very same mode on the very same map. Seriously? How more r.etarded can a developer get?

Or maybe when a fraking AA kills my gunner and before he is replaced it destroys my gun. Or skips the gunner part and just destoys the gun. Again, seriously? Instant return to hangar. This games mechanics are beyond idiotic.

But do not worry Gaijin, my premiun runs out in two days and I am gone. To lose as many players as possible is clearly your intention anyway.

Edited by Embrosil

For me, talking planes, the one shot pilot kills are getting REALLY annoying! Especially when it’s from behind, below or both! And usually from an insane distance away. Then, when that happens, you get a total loss. After the free repair time, you get repair costs. Even with a premium account, premium plane and boosters, you still come out at a loss if you don’t make any kills or hits. 

those things are what REALLY frustrates me to no end and will likely make me not Re-up my premium when it runs out. It’s a game, it’s supposed to be fun. It’s not. It’s almost there, but it’s not there yet. 

GJ has a good thing here, but they need to do a little investing in it themselves before it breaks down. If there isn’t any problems, then why are people CONSTANTLY complaining about them? Not just in the forums, but in game and elsewhere. There’s obviously a problem, or multiple, and anyone who denies it is either blind or one of the elite few who are obviously great at anything they do. 
just my opinion.

medal

Something that bothers me is the difference in RP and SL gain between a victory and a defeat. I am aware that it is supposed to be rewarding for the players who win but it doesn't feel like it. Instead it feels like the losing team is being punished. Expecially considering that some specific Nations BR's in Air RB seem to result in a loss no matter how well you personally do.

I'd like it better if I'd be rewarded according to my performance alone instead of having that big win/lose RP modifier according to how well the 2 dozen stranges played in each specific match.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

Short answer, just about everything.

Top tier AIR RB win/loss has more to do with dumb luck than skill.... getting tired of seing teams just fold in a matte of seconds.

Maps too small/teams too big.... result is just utter chaos.

On 05/09/2020 at 22:22, Krausbart said:

Something that bothers me is the difference in RP and SL gain between a victory and a defeat. I am aware that it is supposed to be rewarding for the players who win but it doesn't feel like it. Instead it feels like the losing team is being punished. Expecially considering that some specific Nations BR's in Air RB seem to result in a loss no matter how well you personally do.

I'd like it better if I'd be rewarded according to my performance alone instead of having that big win/lose RP modifier according to how well the 2 dozen stranges played in each specific match.

You're getting what you gain ingame according to your performance. You dont get less for losing, you get more for winning.

Check the picture below. All kills, assists, crits, hits, zones captured and battle time you get regardless if you win or lose. Same goes for any award you managed, as they come under "Achievement".

Winning is just a bonus, but it's a nice bonus. The win bonus is based on your actions and added on top of that.

Here's a picture regarding SL and the +67% win bonus. The RP follow a similar principle but give a 120% bonus instead.

Reward_Win_formula.thumb.jpg.d83fbf7efc3

If for any reason the picture isn't showing or text is hard to read, it says the following:

1. This is what you did. Given to you even if you lost. In my case it’s 21 827 SL 

2. Reward for winning is about 66% of what you earned. In this case it’s 14558,609. 14 559 SL rounded to closest 10. 

Achievements are awards gathered, which you get regardless if you win or lose 

Total if you win:  “actions” x 1.667 + achievements 
Total if you lose:  “actions” + achievements

(Actions)  21 827

(Win bonus)  14 559  

(Achievements) 10 800

Total = 47 187

There will be some rounding errors when trying different reward results. What we see on the screen is rounded to closest 10, but values are not rounded underneath.

The example above is missing 1 SL, but the formula to the left is fine.

Edited by Arium
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Currently? Many things... and none of them includes getting killed by another player.

They contain reasons such as balance or usefulness of some planes (attackers in air RB jet tiers) ,grind (i really don't want to grind props in the new trees...) , mod grind (40k RP for F9F-8 9Bs when 41k for brand new AIM-7Es for F-4E?????).

Maps sometimes (there are maps that are annoying).

The only thing that got me back and VERY interested was WW mode and this because it didn't have markers and it was RB and the dogfights were amazing.

medal medal medal medal

Now? Probably the KV spam. Queue has 80+ USSR rank III players, that is 3 times more than all other nations combined. 

If you wanna win on the axis side then your team has to kill arround 15 KVs and 20 T-34s. Very easy task...

I bet the USSR has arround 75% WR after the recent volumetric patch. And we had not enough KVs in the game, so we really needed that KV-1E back in the shop. 

Nothing to do about it, but people spamming USSR 4.3 should be ashamed. :D

Edited by HighFlyer_83
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

One thing is that the game makes you pay ingame money for dying, in a team game, where losing = death.

This means that you can be forced to pay 60K SL when you did everything right.

One thing that, imo, would do wonders to mitigate this would be to turn the friendly map border into a "retreat from airspace" function, letting you conserve your aircraft, but also preventing you from rejoining that specific battle. If you are the last player alive, this acts as a way to forfeit the match without forfeiting your life

In my experience, one thing in games that is chronically infuriating is when it feels like you lose all control. This would help to return at least some level of control back to players

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, blackbeard_teach said:

i count 3 instances on reddit where i saw people complaining about their teeth hurting  from this game.

and not because it's too sweet

My dentist: "Do you clench your teeth a lot?"

Me: "Well, I do play War Thunder."

My dentist: "We'll fit you for a mouth guard."

• Haha 1
medal medal medal

Balance, totally out of mind repair costs and the fact that a lot of vehicles are badly reproduced/implemented.

Edited by Redberseker

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Same game modes and objectives for 5 years now, boredom frustrates me and makes the will to proceed difficult to find, attack the B point!

DEFEND THE D POINT!

MOVE. AFTER. ME.

GRAMERCY!

I hear this stuff randomly in my head now.

:lol2:

medal medal medal

I wouldn't call it "the most frustrating things" but two aspects strike me:

1 - Every tank has access to ammunition designed at the very end of its service so by definition it can penetrate everything of its generation. The problem with this is that tank armour is useless in nearly all situations except for niche tanks at certain BRs. This is why speed is valued over armour, just like in the 1960s to 1980s when HEAT ruled the battlefield.
2 - Every battle has ground attack aircraft hovering over it and these aircraft are dedicated to a tiny 2km x 2km patch. Realistically battlefields were often covered by smoke or fought in poor weather but in WT the ground attack aircraft can strangely see you clearly even when it's snowing.

However it's a free game and this is the model Gaijin has chosen, no one is forcing us to play. 
A friendly note to everyone who is making a complaint, consider this:
Look at how many matches you have played and then think of how many complaints you have made. Usually even the most vocal people will play at least fifty matches before a complaint arises, possibly hundreds. To Gaijin the complaints are not statistically relevant, you were by definition ready to play maybe a hundred matches without complaint. Then think of the hundreds of players who say nothing.
I'm not saying your complaints aren't valid but from Gaijin's viewpoint they're just not statistically relevant. Honestly, it's not worth getting upset over. Post suggestions and then forget them, you'll be happier that way as it's extremely unlikely that Gaijin see the point in addressing them when by a strictly commercial metric their existing system is wildly successful.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

On 08/08/2020 at 16:07, Hartwiekruppstah said:

Hello, like many people i have played quite a lot of different games from different genres and i've come to the conclusion that non of the games i played so far has caused me to get as frustrated and salty as this game did. Be it getting shot from out of nowhere, missing a weakspot or just dying to an enemy, this game is after a certain time always a real pain to play and while i can easily play fps games for 4-5 hours, this game mostly causes me to quit after 2, because i need a break. The question for me is, what causes this frustration ? What makes a death in war thunder so much more painful than in any other game ? The economy could of course be a reason but for me atleast this is also at tier 3-4 the case were the sl loss is quite moderat. Oh and yes, i write this after having an awful round.

The MOST frustrating thing...having grinded (Ground?) to the B29...blood sweat and tears, only to find its unplayable because of its ridiculous repair costs :-( Yet the PE8 with its mega bomb is pennies to repair!

Was SOOOOO looking looking forward to proper carpet bombing. Gutted.com...

Wonder if we'll ever get the B52, and if Gaijin will make that deliberately unplayable too...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

What makes it frustration.

Well here is a small list.

-Soviet/Russian favortism,not bias but definitly favortism ever seen a USSR/RU tank with above 15k repair cost? not very likely the only RU vehicle that reall got a high rep bill is the TU-4 its rare for RU to exceed the 10k SL mark there are some but other nations have way more and with higher costs overall.

-Premium/Event Vehicles being better then the Tech tree variants. Huge issue for me and yes i do own a lot of premiums but at the same time it does bother me that 80% of the time they are better then their TT counterparts. Prime examples are the Merkava 3D(Event Vehicle with the best pen in USA TT) KA-50(Premium) litterally better then any othe RU heli other then the KA-52. Leo1L44 only a .3 higher BR but with a 120mm and thermals. the list goes on an on.

-Economic Income at higher BR,now this can be seen as a good and bad thing.Its good because it actually pushes you to go back and play some lower tiers in order to grind SL which keeps the low tier play alive(lower BR's are also more fun)

But for the same reason you have Vet's playing low tier for income destroying possible new players that havent really gotten a grip on the game yet.In General economy in WT is really messed up.

-Game breaking bugs that still havent seen much attention but hey here are some new premiums and there is a new major update comning out.

Yeah Ghost shells and thermal view glitches i am looking at you.

-No constant EC modes for different BR's mode's vehciles etc 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, CreditCardCmndo said:

-Soviet/Russian favortism,not bias but definitly favortism ever seen a USSR/RU tank with above 15k repair cost? not very likely the only RU vehicle that reall got a high rep bill is the TU-4 its rare for RU to exceed the 10k SL mark there are some but other nations have way more and with higher costs overall.

Volumetric shells and the T72B3 made fighting russians a nightmare. Especially if i have to hit this tiny weakspot and they can just snapshot me.

-Premium/Event Vehicles being better then the Tech tree variants. Huge issue for me and yes i do own a lot of premiums but at the same time it does bother me that 80% of the time they are better then their TT counterparts. Prime examples are the Merkava 3D(Event Vehicle with the best pen in USA TT) KA-50(Premium) litterally better then any othe RU heli other then the KA-52. Leo1L44 only a .3 higher BR but with a 120mm and thermals. the list goes on an on.

Same goes for the F89D and at the start the A2D (tf it was 4.7 when it came out). New premiums tend to be broken to generate money and then, after a few months they are finally nerfed.

-Economic Income at higher BR,now this can be seen as a good and bad thing.Its good because it actually pushes you to go back and play some lower tiers in order to grind SL which keeps the low tier play alive(lower BR's are also more fun)

TBH i play air rb if i want to generate income. Flying a premium bomber easily generates me without a premium account atleast 20k if i win and stay alive even more. It is not really necessary to beat up low tier players to generate income. I think many people play lowtier more or less because it's fun or because they have to grind for money.

-Game breaking bugs that still havent seen much attention but hey here are some new premiums and there is a new major update comning out.

Yeah Ghost shells and thermal view glitches i am looking at you.

Or like bugged armour values and volumetric shells. I bounced now multiple times on a HSTVL.

And lets not forget Helicopters in toptier, which can just pen the roof of your mbts with some autocannons and spam rockets at you.

• Upvote 1
medal medal