What makes this game so incredibly frustrating to play ?

Hello, like many people i have played quite a lot of different games from different genres and i've come to the conclusion that non of the games i played so far has caused me to get as frustrated and salty as this game did. Be it getting shot from out of nowhere, missing a weakspot or just dying to an enemy, this game is after a certain time always a real pain to play and while i can easily play fps games for 4-5 hours, this game mostly causes me to quit after 2, because i need a break. The question for me is, what causes this frustration ? What makes a death in war thunder so much more painful than in any other game ? The economy could of course be a reason but for me atleast this is also at tier 3-4 the case were the sl loss is quite moderat. Oh and yes, i write this after having an awful round.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

8 hours ago, Hartwiekruppstah said:

The question for me is, what causes this frustration ?

Netcode is bad.

Most gampelay-mechanics are bad and/or random.

Damage calculation/registration in TankRB is bad, not always but in too many cases to not be furstrated about it.

Balance is bad.

P2W attitude in recent years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6
medal

On 08/08/2020 at 17:07, Hartwiekruppstah said:

Hello, like many people i have played quite a lot of different games from different genres and i've come to the conclusion that non of the games i played so far has caused me to get as frustrated and salty as this game did. Be it getting shot from out of nowhere, missing a weakspot or just dying to an enemy, this game is after a certain time always a real pain to play and while i can easily play fps games for 4-5 hours, this game mostly causes me to quit after 2, because i need a break. The question for me is, what causes this frustration ? What makes a death in war thunder so much more painful than in any other game ? The economy could of course be a reason but for me atleast this is also at tier 3-4 the case were the sl loss is quite moderat. Oh and yes, i write this after having an awful round.

This is a good question and people should ask it more often. Gaijins believes that the best method to encite players to buy premiums or in-game currancy is to make the game frustrating enough for players to buy that stuff. This can be observed with the premium vehicles usually released before the proper tech-tree or the changes to performance of the vehicles. Most blatant being the Heat-FS grind for certain MBT's. I take serious issue with this method since it completally ignores standard survivaltactics in the world that Gaijin Entertainment resides in. This may seem off topic but their lack of insight and long time planning is one of the reason why War Thunder is exactly the same as it was in 2016 or in 2013. Current format brings them a steady income of money, on top of the fact GJ always chooses the way where they can make a "quick buck" instead of taking a loss for a year or 2 and improve the games quality. For comparisson, Rainbow 6: Siege had the worst gameplay possible when it came out and didn't bring income so the game developers observed and made the game what it is now in a isngle patch. It took them quite a while to achieve and cost them money, but I'd say it was worth it. War Thunder needs this exact approach now, otherwise the game will be a desolate wasteland soon

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

20 hours ago, Matt_82 said:

RNG is the killer for me.  So often players do everything right and their reward is to get screwed.

Agreed.

Tell you what man, between the COVID pandemic and all the political turmoil, and trying to spade top tier tanks during an event for a tank I'm not sure I even want when I suck at top tier play, I basically just give up on life right now. If the dart wants to pen, great...if not F it, spawn again and back into the meat grinder until the next time I get ganked by a plane or helicopter. I don't even know if it's fun at this point and I'm not sure whether it matters.

The one thing I do know is that if I go on a multi-state rampage, it's going to start after someone plinks my gun barrel in an RB ground match. Guaranteed.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

18 hours ago, MattS93 said:

Agreed.

Tell you what man, between the COVID pandemic and all the political turmoil, and trying to spade top tier tanks during an event for a tank I'm not sure I even want when I suck at top tier play, I basically just give up on life right now. If the dart wants to pen, great...if not F it, spawn again and back into the meat grinder until the next time I get ganked by a plane or helicopter. I don't even know if it's fun at this point and I'm not sure whether it matters.

The one thing I do know is that if I go on a multi-state rampage, it's going to start after someone plinks my gun barrel in an RB ground match. Guaranteed.

Heh, yeah events are generally horrible to play in.  Mindless grinding for hours a day, for weeks.

I use the opportunity to play some tier I & II battles.  Up to 2.3, you should be safe from the grinding desperados.  You still get plenty of RNG but it doesn't really matter and you always have several other vehicles to use as back up.

medal medal medal medal medal

Map design and rotation is what i hate the most in war thunder. Spawn sniping is everywhere and top tier tanks are playing in arcade maps. The devs doesn't seem to care on game issues and only adds on things that make them money. They apparently don't realize that if they make the player base happy they'll gain even more income. :facepalm:

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 2
medal

5 hours ago, Altair2069 said:

Map design and rotation is what i hate the most in war thunder. Spawn sniping is everywhere and top tier tanks are playing in arcade maps. The devs doesn't seem to care on game issues and only adds on things that make them money. They apparently don't realize that if they make the player base happy they'll gain even more income. :facepalm:

The ways people suggest to make the playerbase more happy is not always good ways to increase income for Gaijin.

Map design is highly subjective.

Rotation is connected to Map Filter so we're screwing over ourselves.

Spawn sniping is a valid tactic.

Top tier in small maps provide different gameplay.

All of the above fall under the "learn to play" category. Maps can be more fun if played well, spawn sniping can be avoided if played well or utilized, small maps along with the other things require adaptability.

As soon as we touch something like the economy, making tanks cheaper to research or buy, or no repair costs, that take us to players having less incentive to get premium, premium vehicles, which mean less income. The "frustration" regarding progress is part of it. The important thing is player investment, which is not always money. Players investing time are also more likely to invest money, especially if they have a steady income outside of the game. Happiness is important, but a happy player in a F2P game might actually put in less money.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Arium said:

The map filter was a mistake IMO.

2 hours ago, Arium said:

Spawn sniping is a valid tactic.

Top tier in small maps provide different gameplay.

I have learned to embrace murdering these morons since they appear on the minimap in most cases.

2 hours ago, Arium said:

Happiness is important, but a happy player in a F2P game might actually put in less money.

Probably true. I invest to avoid/minimize particular pain points in the design of this game (module grind, repair costs etc).

medal medal medal

4 hours ago, Arium said:

The ways people suggest to make the playerbase more happy is not always good ways to increase income for Gaijin.

A happy player base = Good PR

Good PR = More players

More players = More revenue

There are alot of ways to not make this game a hell hole while maintaining good gameplay. The way they frustrate the players is the main reason why this game is so stagnant in its entire existence. I'm sure gaijin is spending a ton of money in ads and sponsorships which could've been mitigated if they maintained a good reputation.

Let me ask you.. Do you hear anyone who've played WT for some time say good things about this game? Maybe the paid ones, but most of it are complaints.

4 hours ago, Arium said:

Map rotation since It came screwed things over because the filter is not separated according to br.

Yes map design is subjective but it's common sense that top MBT's are much more fun to play in larger maps than arcade maps like abandoned factory and frozen pass. Some small maps are still applicable at top tier but it should not compose 90% of the matches.

4 hours ago, Arium said:

a happy player in a F2P game might actually put in less money.

People seem to underestimate a F2P player. Players F2P or not when happy tend to recommend a game to their acquaintances and that helps alot in game development. It's basically free advertisement. In my case if anyone asks me if I recommend WT, even if i get paid i would honestly say "No" because how bad the management is.

4 hours ago, Arium said:

As soon as we touch something like the economy, making tanks cheaper to research or buy, or no repair costs, that take us to players having less incentive to get premium, premium vehicles, which mean less income.

This is actually something impossible to change as it is where gaijin makes most of their money of. Tbh i have no problem with the grind as it gives us something to strive to. My problem is the imbalances which affects all players F2P or not and the terrible issues like i mentioned that should've been fixed a long time ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal

On 08/08/2020 at 11:07, Hartwiekruppstah said:

I am beginning to believe that Gajin has it built into the business model, and, game code to frustrate players. an easy example is why gajin has mechanics, where, without fire protection (the second unlock above parts) you can burn to death and just have to sit there, frustrated, or pay the golden lions up front to avoid it. or, where they give you constant up-tiers,or matches with statistically better players with a round robin style approach where, when you meet players who are better and/or have higher tier tanks 3/4 times, the 1/4 you don't is the chance where you are that person. It's a pretty easy way to explain why despite a good player count, how there always seems to be a lack of tanks a tier above, meaning some poor sod has to play 1.0-2.0 above their BR. Add into to this the fact that some 100 level players farm low tier because the economy sucks up at the "big boy" top tier and it's a bad recipe. Honestly, Fixing top tier would eliminate half of the people dropping down to club the normal people who don't have a lot of money or time to get to 10.0+   

but then again...the "amount of money to get to 10.0+" is the operative factor here. it's also the reason why most premium tanks are really good  

Edited by gimpy117
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Ahhh guess what they just did? Removing stock APFSDS to top tier tanks.

So many damn issues to answer yet they have the audacity to frustrate players even more. 

Edited by Altair2069
grammar
medal

I am struggling a bit with the repair costs, one shot one kill system (if aimed correctly) and longer grinds as i go up in Br. I am however a F2p player most of the time which makes things worse for myself. It is an interesting topic that i am sure differs in reason from person to person.