Sign in to follow this  
SiamSmile@psn

I came here to talk about the new tags...

I meant in game.  I started the game on my PC and we get little controllers against our name now.  When on the PS4, don't have anything but the PC guys get little PCs and the Xbone players get little controllers.

But yeah, we still get our yellow star on this forum.  No forgetting our roots.  

Edited by [email protected]
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Xbox player poking my head in here, it's really nice to be able to see what platform other people are on now (we couldn't before), and the icons are so much cleaner and more "professional" than the old star for PS and atrocious "@live" for us. I asked in chat, and apparently the "@live" is gone in-game now which is awesome, though it seems we're still stuck with it here on the forums.

medal medal

I'm not a huge fan of the change. Not only the "@psn" name change here in the forum is ugly compared to the simple and clean asterisk at the start of the user name, it also means that PC players (i.e. the great majority of players) and Xbox players now have an icon next to their names, which just adds more useless visual clutter to the interface. I wish we could hide that stuff as I don't really care what platform the other players are on.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Xbox player poking my head in here, it's really nice to be able to see what platform other people are on now (we couldn't before), and the icons are so much cleaner and more "professional" than the old star for PS and atrocious "@live" for us. I asked in chat, and apparently the "@live" is gone in-game now which is awesome, though it seems we're still stuck with it here on the forums.

Venturing a guess that the symbols are some custom symbol within WT that can't be copied into the forum, which is why it stays here as "@live" and to make it consistent they just now added "@psn" for PS4 (PS5 later?).

Guessing the ones still with the " * " in front have not yet logged out and back in to the forum, as that usually resets some things (e.g. if someone asks why a pre-order badge isn't showing the log-in/out is usually recommended to make them show up)

Best regards,

Phil

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

19 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I'm not a huge fan of the change. Not only the "@psn" name change here in the forum is ugly compared to the simple and clean asterisk at the start of the user name, it also means that PC players (i.e. the great majority of players) and Xbox players now have an icon next to their names, which just adds more useless visual clutter to the interface. I wish we could hide that stuff as I don't really care what platform the other players are on.

I turned names off years ago to reduce the clutter on screen. I found the old skull thing a pain as well, is that still about?

Cheers

medal medal medal medal

11 minutes ago, *Maj_Fox said:

I turned names off years ago to reduce the clutter on screen. I found the old skull thing a pain as well, is that still about?

Cheers

I don't want to remove names entirely, just the box icon next to them which is a bit of an eyesore. And yes, the skull icon is still a thing.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

On your own platform, you see your nickname as it is with no additions. 

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Agreed. The markers are a waste of time. They don’t portray an accurate status anyways. If a player jumped from console to PC, he still has a console symbol. What does it all provide anyways. We never talk about stats, and then say, ‘but he is a console/computer player’. 

Especially on the forums, there shouldn’t be any tags. We are here to discuss topics. Doesn’t matter what platform you are on. 

• Upvote 5
medal medal

I have an Xbox account but play on PC. I can now see the same controller icon in front of every console player, whether they play on Xbox or Play Station.

Now my question is, is there any way to distinguish between Xbox and PS players when playing with an Xbox/PS account on PC?

Before this new change, that difference was very easy to see, and it was quite nice to be able to recognize fellow Xbox players. 

• Upvote 1
medal

2 hours ago, Big Giant [email protected] said:

I have an Xbox account but play on PC. I can now see the same controller icon in front of every console player, whether they play on Xbox or Play Station.

Not sure if i get this right...

IN GAME I see the PC icons and controller icons...HOWEVER i see SEVERAL players without any icon...

Can someone explain a bit better...i understand the PC part...

I am assuming that the controller icon means THE OTHER console...to me it would be the XBOX players...and NO ICON means PS4 players to me?

How do PC players see this?

57 minutes ago, *GhostSoph said:

It looks ugly and harder to read names since you got an icon before the actual letters.

They may had a good intention but in my opinion it just changed the game for the worse, more stuff we don't need to know while playing(and shouldn't know) filling our screen. 
Not that I do mind for any other reason cause I always used it as a bait against all players but putting icons(or any type of marking) in players of different platforms is just inviting PC players to focus on them or blame them for failure. 

There should be no markers distinguishing platforms on a cross-platform game, even if there are equal names, the server would still know they are "different".

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, *GhostSoph said:

Not sure if i get this right...

IN GAME I see the PC icons and controller icons...HOWEVER i see SEVERAL players without any icon...

Can someone explain a bit better...i understand the PC part...

I am assuming that the controller icon means THE OTHER console...to me it would be the XBOX players...and NO ICON means PS4 players to me?

Yes. On Xbox, it's vice versa.

1 hour ago, *GhostSoph said:

Both consoles are marked with controller.

• Thanks 1

I have strange story to tell:

I created this account on my PS4 in December 2016.

In February 2018 I got my own custom PC (on which I’m writing this now) so I downloaded War Thunder via Steam on my new PC.

As the Update 1.87 “Locked On” got released and after I finished download so I launched the game, it asked me if I would sign in via Steam, which would create a new account and will delete my previous progress, or sign in via Gaijin account, which will keep my progress and everything will be as before.

Of course I chose sign in with Gaijin account, so I typed in my password which I got as I linked my email address to my PS4 War Thunder account (because I knew that I would play War Thunder on PC with my hard earned progress). Everything was still there as it was before. But one thing I noticed: the * (star) in front of my player name wasn’t there anymore.

I checked on the Website of the update news report, for my comment, which I’ve commented there. I found it, clicked on my name and then the web page told me that they can’t find any information about this account. The War Thunder website created a new account without the PS4 star in front of my player name, which contains all of my data of my in game account.

When I want to sign in to the forum I can somehow chose between the account with and without the PS4 star but as I type in the same password it will always sign me in to this account with the PS4 star, expect when I sign in to the game (what the game is doing automatically like on a PS4), then I get my account without the star but both are linked together because the battle counter here in the forum, is constantly updating itself and it’s up-to-date. And when you click on this battle counter you will be redirected to the account without the star (you can click on the link to see what I’m talking about).

But I still can’t buy things from the War Thunder store and the Gaijin Marketplace is still not available for me, because this is still a PS4 account.

In the Forum this PS4 star is still there, as you can see, but in the game it isn’t there anymore since then, as if I would count as a 100% PC player.

No, I’m not complaining, it can stay that way, but it’s just kind of strange and I think it’s quite rare.

The whole cross play topic is quite difficult and complicated. But it’s still good for the whole community on all platforms.

Yours sincerely

Leopard408

54 minutes ago, *Leopard408 said:

I have strange story to tell:

It's weird that you're still not "[email protected]" on the player card cause mine just got renamed to "[email protected]"(really, I feel like insulting the brain that had this brilliant idea) :facepalm:
About not having the "*" before your name, that started happening after some major update and there was a thread about it in this forum, it happened a lot to me, sometimes I had the "*"(*sardinha08) and others I didn't(just sardinha08 as if I was on PC). You couldn't use either the Gaijin Market or Gaijin Store although not having the "*" anymore.

On 31/07/2020 at 07:05, gromvoiny said:

Yes. On Xbox, it's vice versa.

Both consoles are marked with controller.

@gromvoiny

Are they?

1486842311_WarThunder_20200731000608_PS4

My squad mate told me I had a computer tower by my name as well. I assure you I only play on PS4.

Also, why on the forum are some Playstation players like myself *USERNAME and others [email protected]?

Edited by *thefoxiscunning
medal medal

^^think it's to do with if you've logged out and back in again. So mine should still have a star. 

Edit: yet its gone and changed to the @psn rubbish.

Looks like it's time to turn names off in game as ti's just too cluttered and not needed. 

Feels like yet another case of a pointless unasked for change instead of fixing stuff or implementing the many suggestions that have been made over the years. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

@psn at the end of our nicknames on the forum is ugly! I'd rather have the PS4 * if I really have to have something. Nothing at all would be better!

I don't have name templates enabled in the game so I have no clue what icon is where. Everyone is just a target to me. :016:

Personally I think that icons or whatever identifying a persons platform be it PC, PS4 or Xbox in game and in the forum is wrong. It factionalises the community and it's just plain dumb.

Typos
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Feels like yet another case of a pointless unasked for change instead of fixing stuff or implementing the many suggestions that have been made over the years. 

I think some players asked for the removal of the "star" for years, not to be replaced by another icon. This is just an example of how many logic suggestions made by players are then implemented by Gaijin. Better not make suggestions...

9 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Personally I think that icons or whatever identifying a persons platform be it PC, PS4 or Xbox in game and in the forum is wrong. It factionalises the community and it's just plain dumb.

I fully agree, this is completely going the opposite way of what true cross-platform should be. It shouldn't matter what platform any player is using. As it is PC players can just focus on console players or blame them for "being bad" or for using aim assist, as console players can blame PC players for cheating, using ULQ or whatever.

• Like 1

To me PC players Xbox and PlayStation should have there own unique icon

PC - PC Monitor Icon

Xbox - Xbox Shaped Controller

PS - PlayStation shaped controller

These should be visible to all that play, regardless what platform there playing on

for example :-

PC players should be able to see fellow PC players, Xbox player and PlayStation players in the same match

Edited by Tubby_Vermin
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Sign in to follow this