Stona

Update 30.07.2020 (1.99.1.57)

"New sound events for projectiles flying past nearby the observer in all calibres have been created."

New aircraft MG/cannon sounds absolutely awful, like cartoon sound effects or something. I've spent quite a lot of time hearing all kinds of bullets zip past me and just no. Definitely not. Horrible. The old sounds weren't realistic either but at least they didn't sound silly.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Must be real, this new Icons are looking like **** and are just annoying. Please remove them or atleast give the people the option to disable them.
Its especially annoying for me as a PS4-Player, because every god damn player is having this bad looking PC-Icon infront of his name. 
I really like changes, but this change is just meh.

• Upvote 1
medal

New sounds are awesome, with one exception: whistling. If a plane strafe you, artillery hit nearby or someone shoot mg at you there is WAY too much whistling, it is even worse if they miss, i got a plane miss me with 50 cals (i think) and it sounded like all mosquitos in 5km radius got inside my tank.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Frozander said:

Yes, some people are too used to Hollywood style cannon sounds that this seems underwhelming to them, I think.

i think they are fine too.

I think it could be a little bit more heavy on the bass.

The new sound when an ammunition rack explodes are also more authentic. You can hear a little whistling and hissing, which should represent the exploding ammunition well.

I found this video:

(starting at 3:12 min. in the video)

I just recorded how the gun of the M4A1 sounds in the game:

I think the developers have hit the right sound.

Yours sincerely

Leopard408

I do play GRB and the new sounds are realy bad. Bevor the update everything soundet kind of nice. specialy arty hits and now the sounds are like smashing a spoon in a Tin can.

if a G-91 fires a AS nord at you you cant hear the plane at all. you just hear a xxxx roket sound. you cant even tell were the sound is comming from.

realy the only sound i like now more then from bevore is the sound when a ADATS or something like that fires there missiles at your plane. that is realy the only thing. 

I am so disappointed, sad and mad at the same time. 

ffs please bring back the old sounds. :facepalm: :facepalm::zlo::crying:

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal

The gun sounds are really nice, however I dont like the sound of flying tank bullets. I cant imagine that a real tank shell makes such weird whistling noises when flying. Otherwise I like the new sounds so far.

• Confused 1
medal

3 hours ago, Frozander said:

Yes, some people are too used to Hollywood style cannon sounds that this seems underwhelming to them, I think.

Not only that, but a lot of people have no idea what it sounds like from the inside of a tank when you're firing the main gun.

So they expect the same sound as on the outside.

The sounds in this update are pretty much spot on in my opinion.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hi all!

Dear WarThunder team,

I want to tell you something about sounds in your game from my perspective and according to my experience. It really must be admitted that you really seem to be trying to improve sounds because sound updates are much more frequent than it used to be. Thank you for that. On the other hand, the fact that you change sounds in your game so often (for example gun sounds to be more exact) only proves that you rush it, it lacks quality, it lacks testing and there it huge mismanagment in sound department. I dont want to say that this game is not improving, I would definitely lie. There are some very good steps forward, like adding completely new sounds events that were missing in this game for very long time.

As you probably know, sounds make big percentage of game immersion and this immersion I miss in WT basically since I started to play this game. Sounds were and still are significant weakness of the game. When it comes to "not gun sounds" tank doesnt feel like 50t monstrosity, it rather feels like RC model of the tank. Engines sound like Peugeot 206 or mowers. Every medium tank has the same or very very similar engine sound event (I mean passing by tanks), and the same can be said for heavy or light tanks. Weird thing is, that when I control the tank, it actually has some pretty decent and original engine sound (like Chieftain for example). But player next to me with the same tank sounds like mower. I simply cant understand how this is possible in game like this. If it was World of Tanks, I would be probably OK with such a poor sounds, but I think WT always tries to be as accurate as possible. Why do you update gunsounds so often and why do you put so much effort in gunshots when you are totally neglecting engine sounds ? It makes no sense to me. I am very very frustrated, I put a lot of time into this game actualy having fun but such stupid primitive thing like SOUNDS really break total immersion. According to me, this game is very far from having status "e-sports ready". How game actually could be e-sports ready when I dont hear a tank 50m from me ? And if I somehow hear it, I am not able to recognise what tank it is, because everything simply sound the same. If such elementary things are not fixed, I will not put any more money into WT. And trust me, I would love to support you guys, you have so many talented people there like those who are responsible for tank visuals. Tank models are simply impressive to me.

Now to today's update:

I played several games across different BRs and I found this:

- I need to play even more games to judge gun sounds. First impressions are rather OK, it sounds like real tank gun and not RC model. But if even after several games it still will be impossible to recognise calibers (like it was in the latest updates), than it will be the same poor update like many before. I dont care if is super realistic. This is still only PC game. And PC games should be about immersion and fun. Players should be able to recognise calibers again, like it was in some updates in the past,

- flyby projectiles sounds are weird. That looooong whistle when somebody pens me is very poor. I see a big potential there though. I think whistle based sounds are OK idea but it must be short and sharp sound,

- flying missiles sounds are totaly awful,

- artilery sound when standing close to it is just bad from first impressions, I just dont like it. It sounds like small blowing out ballons flying around,

My suggestions how to improve your game in terms of sound:

- give people more sliders (like MGs and cannons separated for example),

- dont care much if it is realistic, focus more on general gameplay immersion. Calibers but be distinguishable,

- focus on those poor engine sounds,

- dont rush things and updates and remember that: "quality>quantity"

- focus on small details. Example: I hear my gun reloading even from 3rd person, which is ok to me and I am happy with that. But why I dont hear tank next to me reloading too is mystery for me and these are details that ruin general immersion.

This is probably all from me for now. I know I was very negative but I just wanted to share my feedback. Feedback is very important and not only in pc games.

I hope someone responsible for sounds will read this.

Sorry for grammar.

Have a nice day everyone and see you soon on the battlefields.

Edited by _BSD_Sanciny
There was some misunderstanding in the text, so I removed it.
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Lately ive been a big fan of the new sound updates, real good job.

This one tho, I love the way the sighted shooting sounds. It sounds more aggressive now.
anything else feels kinda weak, i'm glad you guys changed the missile and atgm explosion as it was an ache for my ears.
The update where you guys brought a new bounce sound, from shells bouncing in a tank armor, was phenomenal, this update tho, either you guys removed some of the sounds or I cant barely hear it, it really killed ground rb for me, plus the shell "passing through" also happens when it actually hits which is kinda unsettling.
The arty sound is really weird and the ATGM launch/explosion is a bit off
This update made mainly explosions sound bad, and the flyby rounds still needs tweaking.

Please I hope you guys change this because the sounds was going so well and really changed the game for me.

medal

I'm not a fan of the new wizzing shell sounds. Who thought this was a good idea? Now i have no tank war combat experience but surely G can find some veterans who have been shot at for real and can advise on what actually constitutes a shell passing close by and an impact on armour. these new 'wizz smack' and 'smack wizz' sounds are very cheezy to me. I could see maybe one or two out of a hundred might sound like that but every single one? C'mom man?!

We need variety in combat sounds not one sound fits all. Mix it up a little.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

I'd like to ask why the sounds have been constantly changing recently. A while ago you made the first change to the sounds in a long time, and they were fine. Since then there have been several iterations on sounds, with no real measure if one is better than the other. 

Is there some big thread somewhere where everyone is complaining about the sounds that you feel the need to completely redesign them every couple of weeks?

imo the set of sounds before this patch were just fine and better than what has been introduced today. All the guns sound more or less the same, where as before guns had a much larger distinction.

One thing that has remained since the recent changes is the constant whistling that goes on while you call artillery. This sound sounds a lot like jets above that can be confusing if you are playing SPAA and listening for aircraft.

Additionally todays changes made distant sound too loud. Sounds of a tank shooting is louder than engine noise close by making it difficult to hear what is going on around you.  

medal medal medal

The shells flying by sounds neat, but there's not nearly enough bass in there. The sounds inside the tank and the gun sounds are still amazing, but everything else in third person just sounds like placeholder sounds now. Like, artillery explosions have lost all bass and boom so all you hear is shrapnel now if you get hit by them and if you don't get hit it's hard to even tell there's an explosion near you. It's like the games' bass slider is just muted in general.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Sounds realistic,i like it !

Do we can except a update for the Rooikat Mk.1D Tank Movement?

The Movement is horrible in few situations like deep Sand,gradients on the mountain or in muddy terrain.

I don't like it it is way to much pfiieeew pfiieeew, i would like to have some big explosions every now and then. But i rarely hear them now only Pfiieew.

I cannot hear from where shots come from anymore, maybe there is a special sound setting where you can but it is totally unplayable now for me.

Edited by Hasta1969
additional stuff
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

Was the Ballistic Computer for the Mi-24D premium in the Russian tree removed today? Just last night I was able to take out Tiny Ivans and use the ballistic computer to destroy Germans that love to clump up, but today I wen't out and it didn't seem to be there. I didn't see anything about it so I am kinda just confused.

Ballistic Computer gone.jpg

medal medal medal

9 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

The new gunshot sounds are AMAZING. People saying that they are bad have no idea how a tank gun sounds.

Every tank gun, when fired, sounds like a loud, sudden, violent, cracking, deafening BOOM that breaks through the air, which is exactly the sensation they now give ingame.

People don't realize that main gun fire is so extremely loud, that you barely hear anything besides a loud cracking sound going through your ears.

These new gunfire sounds are the closest to reality you have achieved so far!

Don't know how you get this? These new sounds are terrible... Being around military vehicles quite a lot in my life, this sounds like a hollywood movie. Whoever let this sound design reach the the game as a final update, needs to get their head checked.

• Upvote 3

Some of the sound changes are good, some are bad.

The new tank guns sounds are good, but FAR TOO LOUD.
Light automatic cannons such as those on the Bradley and SIDAM sound good and are about the right volume.
Explosions are a bit quieter which is nice.
Aircraft gunfire sound is now far too quiet.

And guided air-to-air missile are far too loud, anyone within several kilometres can hear them clearly over aircraft engine sounds and especially the person they are targeted at.

If I turn gunfire sounds up I can now hear my aircraft firing but when a tank fires, I'm deaf.

If I turn SFX sounds down missiles are now the right volume but explosions are almost inaudible.

Good sounds, god awful mixing. Just give us more advanced mixing settings so we can sort our sounds out ourselves.

TL:DR

Tank guns too loud
Aircraft guns too quiet
Air-to-air missiles too loud.

Edited by Oscar_Muffin
  • Like 1

Dear, Gaijin.

The new sounds are really very bad, when i get hit by another  thank it sounds like a nail gun and no longer like a shell hitting me and mortor fire sounds like basic fire works. How the sounds were before the update of 30-07-2020, they were really great, with nice low bass rumble and explosions, that did not sound like screaming fire works

best regards,

Long time Player, Kilbil2

• Upvote 2

the new sounds r awful all the tank guns sound the same and i almost went deaf this morning playing ground rb because the sounds of shells flying make my ears bleed. it sounds like an owl screeching in my ear combines with a thrown glass traveling at supersonic speeds.

Edited by OrangetailGaming
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

9 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

The new gunshot sounds are AMAZING. People saying that they are bad have no idea how a tank gun sounds.

Every tank gun, when fired, sounds like a loud, sudden, violent, cracking, deafening BOOM that breaks through the air, which is exactly the sensation they now give ingame.

People don't realize that main gun fire is so extremely loud, that you barely hear anything besides a loud cracking sound going through your ears.

These new gunfire sounds are the closest to reality you have achieved so far!

Yea, but this is not reality, this is a video game.

If you're in a tank or near a tank in real life, you've got hearing protection on.

Considering people play this game for hours every day, the sound of tank guns is now far too loud and actually, quite fatiguing on your ears.

If you turn gunfire sounds down so tank guns are quieter, now you can no longer hear machine-guns or aircraft firing.