Praevasc

What planes should I get for naval battles?

I rarely play pure air battles, I use planes mainly in naval and ground battles.

For low tier it was obvious. Stuka for the Germans, and whatever dive bomber has the biggest playload for everyone else.

As I'm not grinding all lines in the air research, I fear I'll be getting behind in air support role while I get bigger and bigger ships. So what aircraft lines should I focus on, if I intend to use them in naval battles?

I'm still using the BR 2.3 Stuka in BR 5.0+ battles, and I can contribute to the battle with it, but I think maybe there are BR 4.0+ or BR 5.0+ planes around which will do a better job.

Against cruisers, I think heavy bombers are useful, because they rarely move around, and are big enough targets to be hit from a safe altitude.

for smaller planes, I don't like torpedo bombers, I would rather stick to dive bombers.

It seems fighters often carry bombs as large as dedicated dive bombers. In Arcade, it's better to take the dive bomber because the bombs respawn much much faster... but in realistic, why should I take a dive bomber if I have to land to reload my single bomb, if a good fighter can carry that bomb as well?

And if the majority of players are destroyers, heavy bombers aren't that useful..

I'm mainly interested in Germany, USA, Japan, and Soviets. What are the best planes in destroyer-only battles, and what to take if I play in cruiser battles?

I use a B-25J-20 Mitchell for my 4.3 and 4.7 US Destroyer lineups.  For my 3.0 Patrol Boat lineup I use the A-36 (2.7 Apache attacker) with 2x 500lb bombs.  

medal

2 hours ago, Zen_Tsai said:

For my 3.0 Patrol Boat lineup I use the A-36 (2.7 Apache attacker) with 2x 500lb bombs.  

Thanks!

What's the advantage of 2x500 lbs over 1x1000 lbs? Especially as in realistic both bombs are dropped together.

I'm still using rank 1 dove bombers with 1x1000 lbs even with destroyers... Maybe I should switch?

The A-36 can't carry a 1,000 lb bomb, it's an attacker.  Two 500lb are its heaviest loadout with 2x100lb and 2x250lb (or 4x 50 cal BMGs) being the other options.  Also I'm only playing AB.  I like the attacker because I need something at 3.0 or under to match my 2.7-3.0 BR PT boat lineup.  The Apache at 2.7 BR is the best choice imho.  500lb is plenty to wipe out most targets in that tier with one bomb.  And you get some maneuverability and brutal head-to-head firepower.  I often swoop over and put a critical hit on a passing bomber either on my way to or from bombing a naval target.   

EDIT:  Should mention that the A-20G-25 is also available at BR 2.7 after the Apache.  It comes with 4x 500lb bombs out of the box, no RP required.  But it doesn't have the turn time or rate of climb that the A-36 Apache has.  And also the F4U-1D is amazing, with the same 6x .50 cals and it can carry 2x 1000lb bombs!  But it's III Rank, instead of II.   

Edited by Zen_Tsai
medal

16 hours ago, Zen_Tsai said:

The A-36 can't carry a 1,000 lb bomb, it's an attacker. 

I'm still using the SB2U in naval, it can carry 1x 1000 lb. This is why I asked the question, whether there is a better dive bomber at 4.0 - 4.3.

16 hours ago, Zen_Tsai said:

And also the F4U-1D is amazing, with the same 6x .50 cals and it can carry 2x 1000lb bombs! 

The problem with it in AB is that the bombs respawn much slower if you are in a "fighter".

Edited by Praevasc

I do use the same stuka you're using. He's just great and the secret is gaing altitude before diving. Try to dive at 90 degrees and do not forget to turn off your engine and extend your air breakups. Other option is to use He-177 and sent 1800kg bombs, or FritzX, both will need some skill to use, but if mastered, you rarelly will not succeed becouse it's very hard to being killed when 4km+ altitude.

For Americans, Japaneses and Britishs, I do use torpedos, trying to get cover behind islands or friendly ships before approach. F6F-5N or AM-1 for Americans, B7A2 for Japanese and Firebrand or Firecrast for British.

For Russians I think the best option is the 5 tons nuke from Pe-8.

Edited by DonMandrack
medal medal

I only play rb except for the torpedo task during events so my answer will be for RB only.

The planes I would recommend at 3.7-4.7 are

Germany   ME 410 B1, FW 190 F8 /DO 217 E  Ju 87 He 111 h6

USA  Hellcat, either one/ BTD SB2C either one, A26 AM1 and AD2 would be good also if it doesn't up tier you

Japan Ki 45 tei / B6, B7a / N1K1 floatplane, H6,H8 Float plane

Soviets  Pe 3 with rs 132, Tis Ma / Pe 2, pe 8 yer 2

I run 6 vehicle lineups and also have 1 fighter 1 bomber/attacker so the spawn points don't conflict.

against small boats rockets are king, low tier Russian you can between the two aircraft have 6 and 8 for a total of 7 salvos plus guns and bombs. usually rockets are a 1 hit kill. 

Against larger ships at destroyer tier I consider air craft a one way trip, I don't suicide bomb but I  don't expect to escape. For this reason I highly favor low repair cost because I don't feel expensive aircraft pay for themselves but to help win the match maximizing my naval rp/sl that I did in my ships, this is  unless I want the added performance for an event or something. I rarely land to rearm because I don't feel the time it takes is likely contribute to winning the match. With fighters I don't feel going after enemy aircraft is usually beneficial so I look at their ship killing potential when making a selection. Hope this helps

medal medal medal medal medal