Hi guys

I just started to fly this plane.

205 series 1 was ok but bit lacking in firepower department.

Series 3 - absolute perfection.

But this, N2, is a freaking nighmare. WTAF have they done to it? barely flies, wobbles like a spitfire and want to go into spin faster than 190.

I can't see ANYONE flying it sooooo :dntknw: - Is it just me, or maybe stock syndrome or there's something wrong with it?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

5 hours ago, Amyel said:

sooooo :dntknw: - Is it just me, or maybe stock syndrome or there's something wrong with it?

As far as I can tell, it's not just you, and it's not stock syndrome. By all rights, it should be a good plane, but it just isn't.
I would suggest flying any of the G.55s over this plane. I really can't explain why, but it doesn't perform.. and you would think the firepower would just shred targets, but I for some reason it doesn't...
I won't tell you to buy a premium, if that's not your thing (and they don't get my money anymore), but one of my favorite premiums is the G.55S
It's a little slow, but it can hold its own. 
I honestly don't have much experience with the G.55 sottoserie 0.  And the serie 1 has a repair cost that doesn't make sense to me for a 4.7, so I dalon't fly it often either.
Hmm.. maybe my opinion is worthless here..
All I can say is, the G.55S is a bit of an underdog in EC4 because of it's speed, but that's the only place I fly it, and I do alright.
And then, after earning some SP, I'll fly the Re.2005, which is by Far my favorite plane in the game. And sometimes I'll take out the speedy G.56, despite it's ridiculous, prohibitively high repair costs.

I want to like the N2, but it just sucks..

medal medal

4 hours ago, bearchills said:

I would suggest flying any of the G.55s over this plane. I really can't explain why, but it doesn't perform.. and you would think the firepower would just shred targets, but I for some reason it doesn't...

Yeah, it's just my OCD - all fighters must be spaded - but this one might be exception then.

Also the guns - i was wondering the same. Had some enemies in crosshair, put a LOT of shells in them and nothing.

5 hours ago, bearchills said:

Re.2005, G.56

Both in a lineup - slowly getting to those BRs :)

medal medal

7 hours ago, Amyel said:

Yeah, it's just my OCD - all fighters must be spaded

I am the same. If I start flying something, I need to spade it.
There have been instances where I just couldn't stand flying a plane anymore, and reluctantly moved on. But I'm having a hard time trying to remember which planes I skipped..
I think the mosquito was one.

medal medal

I used to say that the N2 was a better 190A. Better turn, dives ultra fast and the armament whilst less is more centralised. It also feels as though it climbs better. It was never that stable but something definitely feels off about it now, it seems to float even more in pitch and shakes like a leaf with even the lightest turns.

My poor fat Macchi.

C.205 N2 is just C.205 Serie 3 with an additional MG151/20 cannon as a nose armament. That’s why it is slower than C.205 Serie 3

If you don’t want more fire-power than Serie 3, there’s no reason to play C.205 N2.

But I like C.205 N2, cuz it’s a little better for Boom ‘n’ Zoom.

medal medal

13 minutes ago, Q_Star said:

C.205 N2 is just C.205 Serie 3 with an additional MG151/20 cannon as a nose armament. That’s why it is slower than C.205 Serie 3

Its engine has remained the same but the fuselage is quite different, the wingspan is longer on the N2 and I believe the aircraft itself is longer probably to counteract the change of balance with the added cannon.

On 12/06/2020 at 01:09, Amyel said:

Is it just me, or maybe stock syndrome or there's something wrong with it?

it's neither. it's very prone to go over critical AoA. This plane behaves ok-ish only at higher speeds where it turns nicely, etc. But as soon as you bleed that speed (and we know it will happen) you really start to get gentle with that stick.

I can't see ANYONE flying it

it sits in this very odd niche where it's troublesome controls outweigh benefits in EC3 (especially given SP grind and 30min lock) and when you go to EC4 there are better planes at 5.0.

medal medal medal medal medal

The 205N was a redesign ( *dannaryan is correct, new wings and longer fuselage) for a high altitude interceptor. Probably best played that way as well, based on my limited time in it. Getting below 325kph in it is having a death wish.

Don't feel bad about the OCD mine extends to ALL planes, not just fighters. Some so far have been a bit painful.

Edited by A44BigDog
spelling
medal medal medal medal

18 hours ago, A44BigDog said:

Don't feel bad about the OCD mine extends to ALL planes, not just fighters

Fighter and attackers are mine bane (no multiturreted though). Also skins/decals and challenges :D

But 205N2 spaded!!!

Now i moved to mosquitos (and other british tier 3 planes) - feels even worse :crying:

• Haha 1
medal medal

1 hour ago, Amyel said:

Also skins/decals and challenges :D

But 205N2 spaded!!!

Yeah them decals and challenges are like waving a red flag in front of a bull aint they.

Glad to hear you got it spaded, got mine done just a bit ago. I swear it got worse as modules were unlocked. I still have a G55 and SM92 to spade in T3 so you will probably have some opportunities to shoot me down.

medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, A44BigDog said:

I still have a G55 ...to spade

when it comes to serie 1 just take it against EC4 RU :D

I did - almost stock (go for ammo first but I am sure you know that with MG151 already) and ended with like 8:1 KD :)

Everyone tries to turn with you (which is exactly what you want them to do)
en even if they realise they can't, when they start to run away you can stick with them long enough to make use of MG151s.

I was sceptical to take this slow plane to EC4 but after 4th kill I started to go alone into group of 3-4 enemy fighters and usually got at least 1 of them before they all "re-assessed" their intentions and decided to tactically retreat.

Don't get me wrong - it's not OP plane. It's too slow for this but it's extremely good to shoot down people who do not know how to conserve energy which give you plenty of good targets

On 21/06/2020 at 12:16, Amyel said:

Now i moved to mosquitos (and other british tier 3 planes) - feels even worse :crying:

Unless something has changed I loved the Mossies.. although I can only say about how they fly spaded and I can't remember what they were like stock, maybe the pain has caused what little brain I have to block out the memories.

Spaded the FB can disengage from all of the 109's it faces at will on the deck and the difference between it and a 190 is so marginal that it barely makes a difference. The main thing to watch out for is that they can be stubborn minges when it comes to taking off. For some reason the engines need to settle before taking off otherwise it'll just spear off to the left. The Mollinsquito is even worse.

Have you tried the Hornet yet? Stock it's pretty good but spaded nothing is getting away from you and nothing is catching you plus its B.R is too low if I'm honest so if you somehow die it's not too long of a wait before you can jump straight back in it again. I'd honestly choose the Hornet over every other prop aircraft with possible exception to the P-51H which I haven't spaded yet because I can't bring myself to fly it.

just been playing few games tonight with Mossie mkXVIII. This.Is.The.WORST.Plane.I.Have.Ever.Tried.

Taking off kinda OK. Occasional spun but most of the time straight into the air.

But then i don't know why it's a disaster. Hell - i'm taking WHIRLWIND over the Mos, and that says it all.

Wooden wonder? more like wooden flounder!

Rant over - i REALLY can't fly this thing

• Haha 1
medal medal

But this, N2, is a freaking nighmare. WTAF have they done to it? barely flies, wobbles like a spitfire and want to go into spin faster than 190.

The plane has garbage FM, like many planes in WT.

The issue here is with CG postition, which is behind Cp on the ground.

Normally, this is the property of unstable planes like the F16, but not WW2 fighters.

Spitfire, for example, had the same property past Cl 1.2, which effectively put the crit. alpha of the plane to 13°, or so, according to NACA tests.

Ofc we don't have that in WT, but we have statically unstable 205N2, because - Axis?

Russians OTOH have no problems flying whichever way they want, so I managed to put Yak3 at alpha 18.3° in unstalled flight, whos wing has the alpha limit of 15°...but more on that later...

Edited by C0lander
medal

21 hours ago, C0lander said:

Ofc we don't have that in WT, but we have statically unstable 205N2, because - Axis?

I think they've for some reason modelled the FM on pilot notes that stated that the C.202/.205 would feel "floaty" at high altitude. At most altitudes the Macchi's were said to be lovely aircraft to fly and incredibly responsive (I think I remember reading that the C.202 had the third fastest aileron response in the war). The main vice of the Macchi's where there tendency to enter high speed stalls which to be fair is modelled but the rest of the FM just feels off. 

45 minutes ago, *dannaryan said:

I think they've for some reason modelled the FM on pilot notes that stated that the C.202/.205 would feel "floaty" at high altitude...

Any plane feels 'floaty' when near crit. alpha, as your directional stability goes down the drain, but one can't really model a FM based solely on a feeling...which, btw, is barely modelled in the other aircraft in the game in the first place, so go figure...what is telling, though, is that it's always Axis planes that end up with xxxx FMs, while I've never seen a Soviet (or generally Allied)  plane having a 'too realistic' FM assigned, if only even by accident.

Edited by C0lander
medal

10 hours ago, C0lander said:

Any plane feels 'floaty' when near crit. alpha, as your directional stability goes down the drain, but one can't really model a FM based solely on a feeling...which, btw, is barely modelled in the other aircraft in the game in the first place, so go figure...what is telling, though, is that it's always Axis planes that end up with xxxx FMs, while I've never seen a Soviet (or generally Allied)  plane having a 'too realistic' FM assigned, if only even by accident.

I have experienced this feeling doing FM testing for  a different sim. It occurs at very high, as in close to the operational limit,, altitudes of some planes, and it is still a different feeling than whatever they have done with the 205N2

medal medal medal medal

Well, when you fly an actual plane around the 'coffing corner', you are flying at or close to crit. alpha, thus you will experience both longitudinal (in Spitfire e.g.) and directional (virually any plane) instability. The problem with 205N2, in game, is that it experiences longitudinal instability at zerlolift alphas, which is a property of RSS planes like the F16 and I doubt very much that Macchi designed an unstable plane back in 1940s. This is why it feels 'floaty'.

Edited by C0lander
  • Confused 2
medal

On 25/06/2020 at 23:41, C0lander said:

...'coffing corner',...

I doubt that any prop plane presented in WT is even able to get close to coffin corner.

I am not sure about real life as there are some fancy superprops and technically turbo-fans can be considered kind of props but I've never hear about any plane described as "propeller driven" that is able to fly high enough to stall at critical mach.

On 25/06/2020 at 16:41, C0lander said:

Well, when you fly an actual plane around the 'coffing corner', you are flying at or close to crit. alpha, thus you will experience both longitudinal (in Spitfire e.g.) and directional (virually any plane) instability. The problem with 205N2, in game, is that it experiences longitudinal instability at zerlolift alphas, which is a property of RSS planes like the F16 and I doubt very much that Macchi designed an unstable plane back in 1940s. This is why it feels 'floaty'.

I have no idea to begin to understand this.  :008:

On 21/06/2020 at 17:04, przybysz86 said:

when it comes to serie 1 just take it against EC4 RU :D

I did - almost stock (go for ammo first but I am sure you know that with MG151 already) and ended with like 8:1 KD :)

Everyone tries to turn with you (which is exactly what you want them to do)
en even if they realise they can't, when they start to run away you can stick with them long enough to make use of MG151s.

I was sceptical to take this slow plane to EC4 but after 4th kill I started to go alone into group of 3-4 enemy fighters and usually got at least 1 of them before they all "re-assessed" their intentions and decided to tactically retreat.

Don't get me wrong - it's not OP plane. It's too slow for this but it's extremely good to shoot down people who do not know how to conserve energy which give you plenty of good targets

I finally scrounged up the Lions to set up an EC4 Italy line up, might as well kill several birds with one stone. I did the North Africa maps, and speed just wasn't that much of an issue, not when Mustang Pilots are trying to turn fight everything they see. :facepalm:

medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, A44BigDog said:

not when Mustang Pilots are trying to turn fight everything they see.

wait till you see P-47 with full bomb-load turnfighting Zero on deck.

Best part is that I see fully loaded jug turnfighting more often when I fly Japan than when I fly any other axis nation.

On 27/06/2020 at 22:13, przybysz86 said:

I doubt that any prop plane presented in WT is even able to get close to coffin corner.

Some do, some don't, but that's beside the point.

The point is as you apporach absolute ceiling through the coffin corner, your directional (most planes) and your lateral (Spiffire eg.) stability decreases, which is a 'floatiness' ppl talk about here.

medal