Wummele1

Target Acquisition

When I aim and start to fire a target acquisition note comes up. It seems to take forever to actually do anything and when I start to fire the shells are spraying everywhere, I have looked through all the topics here and got some idea as to some mechanics of aiming. Is it possible to switch this off ?

Just a quick edit as I released this is not a very good explanation, I am in Naval AB and the guns are 7.7mm, 0.50, 20mm, 40mm, 3" all the small MG,Gunboats, Subchasers etc .

Edited by Wummele1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

With the default Arcade Aiming mechanic, there are two modes/methods depending on the armaments found on your ship.

For boats with machine gun/cannons with a caliber smaller than 37mm, locking onto a target will reveal it's near-exact range immediately and your gunners will compensate the elevation of your guns for you as well as continuously update the range/elevation for you.  In this case you only need to lead the target to get hits, including raising the aim above your target if your sailing towards them, since both you and your target's direction and speed affects how you need to lead.

For boat and ships with cannons with a caliber of 37mm and greater (no matter if they're the guns you're manning at the moment), there's an additional step.  When you first lock onto a target, it'll demand a ranging shot.  At this time there will be some error of distance to target, to simulate the gunners first estimating the range.  After shooting at the target and letting the shell land (nothing stops you from blazing away still), you'll gain the near-exact range of the target and gunners will again compensate elevation of the gun for you just like the first mode/method.  If you then target another ship then target the same ship, you'll need to repeat the same ranging shot step.

If you're targeting planes, no matter the armament, it'll default to the first mode, automatically acquiring and updating the near-exact range of the aircraft.

Then it's possible to enable method of aiming from Realistic mode for AB.  With realistic aiming, no matter the armament, you'll automatically acquire the approximate range of the target with a margin of error and the gunners will elevate the guns appropriately at that moment.  However, the elevation compensation from the gunners will not be continuously updated as the ship moves, but you can manually adjust this yourself with the mouse wheel (by default I think).  To enable this mode of aiming, go to Options > Naval Battles Settings > Realistic Aiming.

Keep in mind that will all of the aiming methods, it takes some time for guns to reach proper elevation angles after acquiring range.

Edited by JackRob
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 24/04/2020 at 06:06, Wummele1 said:

When I aim and start to fire a target acquisition note comes up. It seems to take forever to actually do anything and when I start to fire the shells are spraying everywhere, I have looked through all the topics here and got some idea as to some mechanics of aiming. Is it possible to switch this off ?

Just a quick edit as I released this is not a very good explanation, I am in Naval AB and the guns are 7.7mm, 0.50, 20mm, 40mm, 3" all the small MG,Gunboats, Subchasers etc .

If you play arcade, you should wait a bit after selecting the target before you start firing. The AI will automatically adjust for range, but it takes a bit of time at the beginning.

medal medal medal

On 01/05/2020 at 02:33, JackRob said:

With realistic aiming, no matter the armament, you'll automatically acquire the approximate range of the target with a margin of error and the gunners will elevate the guns appropriately at that moment.  However, the elevation compensation from the gunners will not be continuously updated as the ship moves, but you can manually adjust this yourself with the mouse wheel

As shots are landing on or near the target, the range estimation will be updated from time to time.

And if the target is close enough, it will be continuously updated no matter if you fire or not (this might depend on some crew skills but I don't know the exact formula)