waldopb

Best ammo type for killing small boats, AP or HE?

I am not sure what ammo type would be best for taking out small boats like PT boats or subchasers when using autocannons. I am thinking of guns like 40mm Bofors, 37 and 20mm cannon.

Most small boats have little to no armour so I would think that HE would be best because you benefit from the explosive damage where as AP would go straight through and do minimal damage but is this true?

medal medal

With 40mm bofors the ammo choice pretty much only defines how many of each round is in the clip, for instance AP is AP/AP/AP/HE while HE is the mirror and default belt is 50/50 AP/HE split.

Personally speaking I've noticed that AP tends to be more effective (and my prefered) as you are not only destroying compartments (killing crew) but you are also destroying internal modules plus it means you'll be more effective against stuff with armour like the Russian river boats or larger corvettes.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

HE all the way, but when you start seeing large boats with armor, use AP to hit the protected engines and HE to set fires and knock out auxiliary guns.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think I found the answer is AP. I was being confused by HE belts containing AP rounds giving the same armour piercing values as AP belts. They should really list the armour pen values for each type of round in a belt not just the best penetrating round.

Edited by waldopb
medal medal

I’m using HE as my default ammo, meaning that’s what’s loaded when I start the battle. I don’t change the auxiliary guns to anything else since I use them mainly for AA and you don’t really need AP for planes, if they do fire at ships the HE will probably set them on fire. I do change the ammo to AP in my primary guns if I’m facing armored ships, like the Russian armored boats and can’t get a penetration with HE. Early on you really don’t need anything but HE though, most ships are just wood. Hope this helped. 

2 hours ago, waldopb said:

They should really list the armour pen values for each type of round in a belt not just the best penetrating round.

I agree, they use the penetration for the highest value. If there’s like HE-HE-HE-AP it still shows the AP rounds penetration rate and not the HEs

Against unarmored parts, it's different for each type of gun. For example, the HE belt is most powerful for the Russian 12.7mm, but the AP belt is most powerful for the US .50 cals. You have to test them by shooting the same place of the same boat with different belts in test sail. But you also have to factor in tracer ratio because low tracer ratio makes it very hard to aim in boats. For example, the Universal belt is actually the best belt for the Russian 12.7mm because of higher tracer ratio than the HE belt.

Against armored parts, belts with high amounts of AP rounds are necessary. So you should take about 30~50% of your total ammo as AP and switch according to target. If the AP belt is the best one for the guns you're using, then obviously you can just take full AP and use it on everything.

medal medal medal

On 19/08/2020 at 03:24, [email protected] said:

Go universal it's cheaper and you get both.  It's not like PT boats last all that long anyways either way.

I agree with my esteemed associate.  Using universal rounds at the lower B.R.s saves on money.  but the main reason I use them is so that I may be ready for whatever I come up against.  Those dang Russuan River Boats...  HE alone won't pop the middle of them!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal