Hello all

Like Tig_Welder I have come to WT from another game, namely WOT. After some initial problems installing the game (I tried the direct download and steam) I am now running through steam. I was hoping to use my steam tokens to buy some of the Swedish packs, but it wasn't to be.

Anyway I am now enjoying the game and it's wide open spaces, test drives, myriad of vehicles and craft etc.

Although similar in many aspects I'm trying to get used to a smaller 'garage' / hanger and how the vehicles / craft are cycled through the hanger with the different levels. Last night I started to explore vehicle 'Holidays'

The thing that is confusing me the most at the moment is whether to use an existing crew when moving up a vehicle/craft. It seems that no sooner have I started allocating crew points, it's time to move onto the next vehicle/craft. Being used to being penalised for moving crew, I have been buying new ones. What is the accepted practice ?

I will probably keep playing WOT occasionally just to keep the account ticking over, maybe playing both will help me improve.

In answer to my question I found an earlier post from Praevasc

Yes, this can be a little confusing at the beginning, especially for players who already played World of Tanks: there the slots hold vehicles, and you have to assign a crew to the vehicle. Here the slots hold the crew (actually, a whole squad of drivers, gunners, pilots, and other staff), and you have to assign a vehicle to the crew. A great advantage of this system is that, unlike in WoT, the crew doesn't "forget" how to drive the old tank if you assign a new tank to them. You can switch it back at any time.

The slots are for crews not vehicles / craft. When you get a new vehicle / craft you allocate the vehicle / craft to a suitable crew.

Edited by Driven_To_Tiers

Welcome to Warthunder (and the forums!) :happy:

40 minutes ago, Driven_To_Tiers said:

The thing that is confusing me the most at the moment is whether to use an existing crew when moving up a vehicle/craft. It seems that no sooner have I started allocating crew points, it's time to move onto the next vehicle/craft. Being used to being penalised for moving crew, I have been buying new ones. What is the accepted practice ?

There are certain things to know about crews (or rather crew slots), crew experience and crew qualifications.

First off:

Crew slots

To make it more understandable why I call it Crew Slots instead of crews, you have to know how they work:

If you have a vehicle in crew slot #1, this crew slot knows about this vehicle. Crew slot #2 and all the others doesn't (yet).

When crew slot #1 goes into battle with the vehicle, this crew gets crew experience points.

Once you are back from the battle, you can place the vehicle from slot #1 onto crew slot #2 but the crew XP from the last battle will stay with #1 of course (since they earned them there).

(however, vehicle modifications will stay with the vehicle, of course)

Crew Experience and Crew Qualifications

Crew XP will be accumulated by the crew slot you play.

So, if you play an M8 Greyhound with crew slot #1 all the time, and put the M8 Greyhound onto crew slot #2, the latter crew slot still won't have any crew XP (as it was stated above). You also may have to qualify your crew again!

Use these crew XP on abilities like faster reload, faster repairs, etc.

What is crew qualification?

It's a two-step way to increase your crew abilities. You get +30% to your crew abilities with upgrading to "Expert" (which only costs silver lions), and then you can unlock the "Ace" qualification for free just by earning enough research points for that crew slot with that vehicle. The basic level won't allow you to gain any RP towards the "Ace" level!

Looks like this for me and my Japanese Bf 109 E-7:

745230334_shot2020_03_0114_30_39.jpg.bd7

I'm a bit more than halfway through until I get "Ace" for free there.

What does "Ace" qualification do?

It adds another +20% to all crew abilities on that crew slot for that vehicle.

So, with "Ace" unlocked you get +50% in comparison to the Basic level!

You can buy it with Golden Eagles but I've never done that and don't see the point - the Expert level is usually enough for all my crews and I rarely play with an Ace crew slot since this means I really unlocked everything with that vehicle on that slot!

So, with this as a basis - you're not really punished for "moving" a vehicle from one slot to another. It's a way to either save on Silver Lions or to have a better lineup, to put it in a very short way!

I hope this didn't confuse you too much - I know it's a bit much at first with all those modifiers, abilities, values and possibilities.

However, all of us started there and we got through it :happy:

Edited by michiyl
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

michiyl summed it up really well. But I would add that you should concentrate planes in one slot and tanks in another slot. At first don't use a plane in one slot then replace it with a tank. Have slots exclusively for certain vehicles. For example you might have a line up (what we call the vehicles we take to battle) like this:

[primary plane slot] [primary tank slot] [AA slot] [tank secondary slot] [plane secondary slot or tank third slot]

Also in game modes where you can respawn make sure your vehicles have around the same battle rating. If you take a 3.3 battle rating tank along with your 1.3 battle rating tank your match making battle rating will be 3.3. Try to keep your vehicles within a .7 BR spread. 

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thanks to michiyl

and _Tyger_

For the replies, things are gradually becoming clearer. One thing I didn't appreciate at all is that the crew slot can be allocated a tank / vehicle or an aircraft or a vessel.  The same crew can do all 3. What the rest of a tank crew do while one of them is flying a plane I don't know.

I've already experienced the battle rating. Have played mostly td's in wot, practicularly the Swedish td's, I purchased the WT strv 103 then after respawning found myself in a tier 1 in a tier 7 game !!

I have to say enjoying close combat in lights/mediums far more in WT

Edited by Driven_To_Tiers
  • Thanks 1

Also bear in mind that overlap between planes/tanks and ships means you can use XP earned in one battle mode to boost skills for another

3 hours ago, Driven_To_Tiers said:

It seems that no sooner have I started allocating crew points, it's time to move onto the next vehicle/craft.

Currently you are new and playing at low BR so you are going to unlock new vehicles fast

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Driven_To_Tiers said:

'XP earned in one battle mode to boost skills for another' That's going to take some getting used to.

Well, see it this way:

For example, you can use Arcade Air Battles (Air AB) to get quite a lot of crew XP in one crew slot, which you can put into the crew abilities for tanks and vice-versa :smile:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Welcome to the game @Driven_To_Tiers, hope you enjoy it and the forums!

• Like 1