Request location of allies in Simulator Battles

request_location_forums_fde62e6c01a17d86

In a real battle, the well established interaction between battle participants plays an important role. The participants receive intelligence and actively coordinate with allies themselves and actively coordinate with them by reporting their own position and data about any detected enemies.

During different wars the same units may have encountered each other on the same battlefield. It might have been captured vehicles in the WW 2 period and in modern warfare the vehicles could have been created based on a model which had been built by license or simply bought. For the crews of these vehicles it was an even more acute problem as they would receive damage from allies because of lack of information and interaction.

The interaction mechanics of the SB game mode often lacks the ability to identify the vehicles at long distance. But you have a radio operator on your vehicles, so it means that you should be able to contact your allies even at long distances - and this is exactly this possibility we plan to implement.

It will work very simply without overwhelming you with a need to do unnecessary things. It will be enough to point your sight crosshair at the vehicle so the crew will register a request regarding the location of allies at specified coordinates. The reporting will be displayed additionally within the sight: “Allies at coordinates” or “No allies at coordinates”. The main condition is that the target needs to be visible throughout the radio contact. If the target is lost in the process, the connection will be dropped. The mechanics will be available to helicopters in sight mode and for anti-aircraft guns after the target is locked by radar or by simply holding the target in the crosshair if there is no radar on the vehicle.

The mechanics will appear in the test mode from the 20th of March until the 23rd of March in combined SB battles (menu: events). Based on the test results and your feedback the possibility of adding this feature to regular SB mode for combined battles on a permanent basis will be considered.

The War Thunder Team

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 7

A positive step to be sure, and it's nice to see some thought for the minority of the community who play simulator battles. If it can reduce teamkilling, or people exploiting captured vehicles (by putting decals on) then it will be a good thing!

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, *gaelan said:

Is this active now or going to be later today? a step towards dealing with captured and lend lease vehicle exploits and team killing 

It says from the 20th March, which is today. So I would take that as a yes.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, Packal said:

Easier way is remove the captured vehicles.

Not all vehicles got radio... for example T-34. And got, didn't work anyway...

No, it's not easier to remove something.

In War Thunder all vehicles got radio.

• Confused 5
  • Upvote 1

@Stona are there any plans to add a similar scouting mechanic into SIm for light tanks to use so that they can report enemy positions easier instead of the guess work everyone else does by pinging the map? Not full on constant percise location like normal scouting but if we hit scouting it reports the "attention to the map" location per our viewed target?

Edited by CK_16
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

14 minutes ago, CK_16 said:

@Stona are there any plans to add a similar scouting mechanic into SIm for light tanks to use so that they can report enemy positions easier instead of the guess work everyone else does by pinging the map? Not full on constant percise location like normal scouting but if we hit scouting it reports the "attention to the map" location per our viewed target?

^ this,

Its nice that we can now properly identify allied tanks even when they a german in a BMP (the amount of friendly BMP's ive killed Ouch). But it will also be benifitial for us to spot enemy tanks, maybe we cant get a shot on target but we have an ally near by who could be at risk of being killed.

Edited by CorsairJazzCat
medal medal medal medal medal

25 minutes ago, Packal said:

Easier way is remove the captured vehicles.

Not all vehicles got radio... for example T-34. And got, didn't work anyway...

Well, let's see which captured/lend-leased vehicles we have:

Germans (arguably the nation with most captured vehicles):
M4 748 Sherman. These had radios. No problem there.
T-34 747. Germans mounted new radios in all their captured T-34's, so again no problem.
KV-II 754. These were used as artillery spotting vehicles. So... definitely radio.
Churchill. These came equipped with radios, but would most likely have had it replaced by a german version.
KV-IC 756. This was more or less completely refurbished by the germans, including a german gun being fitted. It had a radio.
All of these vehicles operated during a time when all german tanks had radios.

USSR:
T-III: Well, they came with radios. And the vast majority were captured after the battle of Stalingrad, by which time most of the Soviet tanks were equipped with radios anyway.
T-V: Captured very late in the war. Came with a radio and Soviet tanks had radios by then too.
Lend-lease tanks: These usually had a radio equipped. Even if they didn't, they operated within units that used the same tank and weren't facing enemies using that same tank.

Italy, Japan:
These got american vehicles AFTER the war, so would have A: come with radios and B: not faced other tanks of the same type anyway.

China:
Well, these guys were in the middle of a civil war. So... while some of the lowest ranked ones might not have had radios, they wouldn't have to anyway due to the general lack of tanks in both armies. 

I really don't see your argument of "no radios" as a good argument in this case.

As for your "remove captured vehicles"... that one's not realistic since both the USSR and Germany made extensive use of captured equipment and vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Good feature but please do not make SB like RB after you realize this feature with combined nations, like GER Vs GER..

*DO NOT TOUCH SIMULATOR FORMATION*

This feature will help new folks to who came from RB & AB to integrates with SB folks without friendly fire.. 

THANK YOU.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal

Another problem:

How will this work in the planes? Captured planes are also problem. How you will fix those? (Again, remove them is easier solution).

Better to add flare pistols, so I will be able to mark my position by firing a star shell above me.

(We have coloured smoke in the planes, why not a flares in the tanks...)

Edited by Packal
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

53 minutes ago, Mahd1378 said:

What if our radio operator is dead?

We used to survive without it, thats fine.. 

14 minutes ago, Packal said:

Another problem:

How will this work in the planes? Captured planes are also problem. How you will fix those? (Again, remove them is easier solution).

Better to add flare pistols, so I will be able to mark my position by firing a star shell above me.

(We have coloured smoke in the planes, why not a flares in the tanks...)

U can check ur score repeatedly, however by opening map u also can see if its friendly or not if u get close, furthermore u can check ur allies planes.. 

medal medal medal medal

42 minutes ago, CorsairJazzCat said:

^ this,

Its nice that we can now properly identify allied tanks even when they a german in a BMP (the amount of friendly BMP's ive killed Ouch). But it will also be benifitial for us to spot enemy tanks, maybe we cant get a shot on target but we have an ally near by who could be at risk of being killed.

Do not be sorry for these players, thats fine friendly fire happen a lot. 

Its their fault, if u gonna use captured vichle u should notify ur position from time to time.. 

medal medal medal medal

5 minutes ago, ALZAHRANI said:

U can check ur score repeatedly, however by opening map u also can see if its friendly or not if u get close, furthermore u can check ur allies planes.. 

In the plane above battlefield you will check your score and map? Interesting idea :facepalm:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Packal said:

In the plane above battlefield you will check your score and map? Interesting idea :facepalm:

Believe me I used to do that to avoid friendly fire & thats fine for me.. 

If u flying above battlefield the only thing will pop up on ur map is friendly planes so its to EZ to confirm bandit. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

how about giving a different map-marker for the "follow me" radio message? maybe a sharp triangle, pointing in the direction a tank is facing?

that would already be a great help, as both that and marking the map have the same circle which is confusing, if ping enemies and use "follow me" at the same time

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Stona said:

It will be enough to point your sight crosshair at the vehicle so the crew will register a request regarding the location of allies at specified coordinates. The reporting will be displayed additionally within the sight: “Allies at coordinates” or “No allies at coordinates”. The main condition is that the target needs to be visible throughout the radio contact. If the target is lost in the process, the connection will be dropped.

A tentative :good:

It will certainly be useful in a few situations where a positive ID is difficult due partially blocked line of sight, sheer distance etc. I’ve often thought your crew could be a bit more helpful when you’re aiming at a friendly. After a second or so, depending on skill perhaps, they could say, “I think that might be one of ours” or something similar, and this proposed mechanic sounds a bit like that. Not so much use when you come around a corner and see a US tank, festooned with Stars and Stripes, and you’re desperately looking for some minor difference that will reveal friend or foe, or try “radio contact” and wait for the reply... too late it wasn’t an ally after all.

A useful measure for long range ID doubts, but not a full solution to captured tanks. Removal of those captured vehicles not used in combat or never used against their nation of origin would be a solution.

Edited by Kernow1346
Correcting auto correct
  • Like 1
medal

Recently we have also seem the auto gun elevation for tanks with laser rangefinders and also boresighting from the gunners sight mechanics introduced.

These are mechanics that affect Sim only so I consider it a good sign that Gaijin have not abandoned us.

Now if only they'd reduce the frequency of the CQB city maps...

medal

@Stona

Is this going to work for ANY distance? I mean if your crew can identify T-III sitting in a forest or in shadows from 2km  judging only by slightly different colour it's not SB. Hell it's not even RB.

If the range is limited - what would it be, and is it going to be relying on crew skills points?

• Upvote 1
medal medal