Jump to content

The Pilot Snipe Problem


I cannot be the only one who has this issue. I always run into a situation where I unintentionally waist three to four planes in a row by being pilot sniped; sometimes this happens immediately without me even having time to react. I know that this isn't just me, because I have seen this happen to other people in game in game too. I was in a match once where this happened to me, and at least three other players responded by saying that it had happened to them multiple times too. I made a suggestion to fix this, although it has apparently disappeared. I am going to assume that this was most likely a mistake as I usually would be given a notice, so I am not made at anyone over that.

EDIT: I should also add that when ever I pilot snipe someone I don't feel good about it either. I don't feel like I deserved to take them down.

Edited by cricket27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind if pilot sniping wasn't a thing at all, it doesn't add much to the game really. Just if you have bad luck, you lose a perfectly good plane. Before anyone says, yes, I know it's realistic, but planes would also rip because of stress in real life, and that doesn't happen here because it's arcade, it's supposed to be about making sacrifices in realism for the sake of fun. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AethelingAlfred said:

I wouldn't mind if pilot sniping wasn't a thing at all, it doesn't add much to the game really. Just if you have bad luck, you lose a perfectly good plane. Before anyone says, yes, I know it's realistic, but planes would also rip because of stress in real life, and that doesn't happen here because it's arcade, it's supposed to be about making sacrifices in realism for the sake of fun. 

These are pretty much my thoughts.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Pilot snips are annoying enough in fighters.
But even more so when it happens in bombers.
A bomber with a maxed crew of 6... and not one of them can fly the bomber if the pilot is killed?
So they include pilot snips for 'realism' but the realistic fact a bomber crew would not simply let the bomber fall out of the sky when the pilot is killed is not included.:dntknw:
And for that matter... if the pilot and gunners can be sniped then why can't the bombardier?
Not that I want that... just that it shows the level of consistency. 
Pilot snips are annoying when they happened to you... but when you do it to someone else its satisfying.
Id advocate to have them removed from arcade. 

Edited by IdiotInA
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IdiotInA said:

Pilot snips are annoying enough in fighters.
But even more so when it happens in bombers.
A bomber with a maxed crew of 6... and not one of them can fly the bomber if the pilot is killed?
So they include pilot snips for 'realism' but the realistic fact a bomber crew would not simply let the bomber fall out of the sky when the pilot is killed is not included.:dntknw:
And for that matter... if the pilot and gunners can be sniped then why can't the bombardier?
Not that I want that... just that it shows the level of consistency. 
Pilot snips are annoying when they happened to you... but when you do it to someone else its satisfying.
Id advocate to have them removed from arcade. 

 

Bombers that had them IRL have copilots that can take over when pilot is killed...and get killed too.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pilot is the most vulnerable part of plane. It's essentially an equivalent of headshot in FPS, sometimes just dumb luck, but with some skill can be purposely used to one's advantage.

I'm pretty sure copilots do take over if primary pilot is killed, since I had fed on pilot KOs after which bomber kept flying. He 219 even had bug where radar operator counted as copilot, making it immune to pilot snipes from headons.

It's completely different from, say Tail Control Damage which is effectively RNG kill/assist ))). You just spray at fuselage, and sometimes RNG kicks in and disables tail, and that's it.

Edited by kireta21
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kireta21 said:

Pilot is the most vulnerable part of plane. It's essentially an equivalent of headshot in FPS, sometimes just dumb luck, but with some skill can be purposely used to one's advantage.

I'm pretty sure copilots do take over if primary pilot is killed, since I had fed on pilot KOs after which bomber kept flying. He 219 even had bug where radar operator counted as copilot, making it immune to pilot snipes from headons.

It's completely different from, say Tail Control Damage which is effectively RNG kill/assist ))). You just spray at fuselage, and sometimes RNG kicks in and disables tail, and that's it.

I'd argue against having pilot snipes though, as it effectively disregards any form of armor. It's one thing to have the precision to aim at the head of a human body, but it's just dumb luck when you hit the pilot in an airplane.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ____Lexing____ said:

I'd argue against having pilot snipes though, as it effectively disregards any form of armor.

How? Armor behind the pilot is the only armor in plane that really matters, exactly because of them. This is why when shooting planes from behind you're better off going for wings, and why deflection shots produce way more pilot kills.

 

10 hours ago, ____Lexing____ said:

it's just dumb luck when you hit the pilot in an airplane.

Targeting cockpit is exactly what I do if I have luxury to carefully aim. Makes world of difference when taking down big planes, also prevents them from turning into zombie gunships (dead, but still shooting).

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kireta21 said:

How? Armor behind the pilot is the only armor in plane that really matters, exactly because of them. This is why when shooting planes from behind you're better off going for wings, and why deflection shots produce way more pilot kills.

 

Targeting cockpit is exactly what I do if I have luxury to carefully aim. Makes world of difference when taking down big planes, also prevents them from turning into zombie gunships (dead, but still shooting).

 

Oh yeah, don't even remind me of that. Damn BV238, always kills me after I finish the attack run and it's going down in flames. But since you can only attack it safely from below, taking out pilots is impossible...

 

Aiming at the cockpit is indeed possible sometimes. And it's part of the game based on reality. You could as well try to argue against wing breaks, ammunition explosions and similar and put the game on hitpoint basis like that other game...

  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kireta21 said:

How? Armor behind the pilot is the only armor in plane that really matters, exactly because of them. This is why when shooting planes from behind you're better off going for wings, and why deflection shots produce way more pilot kills.

 

Targeting cockpit is exactly what I do if I have luxury to carefully aim. Makes world of difference when taking down big planes, also prevents them from turning into zombie gunships (dead, but still shooting).

Most planes from br 2.0 onwards tend to have bulletproof glass in the front, but they apparently do nothing for protection. I can see how you would target the cockpit, but it requires such precision that you'd probably need aimbot to consistently pull it off. I know, my aim is probably horrible xD. 

 

Regarding deflection shots, it's much more productive to shoot at the wings in my opinion because they provide a larger chance of killing the opponent or to at least incapacitate them. I honestly don't care if pilot snipe doesnt get removed, I'd just like to see armor and bulletproof glass taken into account.

 

Shooting planes from behind? no dont do it, you barely get any surface area to shoot at.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davitoh
Davitoh gave js1960 a warning for this post
Reason: Verbal Warning Only · Points: 0 ·

Any plane in GB is a *edited*

 

Waiting for the  apologists to chime in at 3..2...1

 

 

Davitoh (Posted )

DO NOT.
1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas.
1.1.19. Profanity and insult via direct statement or implication (full or partial circumvention). This includes the use of swearing, medical-related reference (such as cancer, mental illness, etc.), offensive and abusive language, and other references of an insulting or profane nature. Automatically filtered items are exempt from action.
VERBAL WARNING ONLY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Years ago when I first played this game it was common to have pilots get sniped from unreal distances, and a lot of people complained about it.  I don't think now or even back then anyone was good enough to target the pilot of the plane as much it was a broken mechanic, a stray bullet was supposed to be hitting the cockpit. Over the years they've tweaked damage patterns in various ways--for awhile it seemed I was always getting half a wing blown off and still able to fly, and lately my elevator gets torn up even if I'm in a head-on.  Pilots for some time get wounded rather than killed, which is acceptable, the plane still flies but like a dinged engine performance keeps getting worse and worse as the pilot virtually succumbs and dies.  As for instant death, if it's by a cannon shell that's not surprising, and in the case of a plane with a co-pilot, the controls and/or co-pilot may also have been destroyed in the hit.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

I have this issue mostly in Air Assault mode.

First wave bomber hits you frontal and kills both pilots. And for some weird reason this happens quite often.

 

Later I started to replicate these deaths via the protection analysis and often I am unable to do that.

You have  plane with a lot of frontal armor(steel, glass,...) you take the bomber that has killed you on the first hit through all that material. You take the biggest turret the bomber has, AP rounds. Nope, would not pen. So I assume this is another "bug" like the immortal tanks  you sometimes see in ground assault.

I have the suspicion that due server lag a bullet jumps trough metal/glass plates.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

When on 10 games, the ennemy anti-air pilot-snipe you 5 or 6 times, I thiink it is too much. When they shot my pilote, they didn't need to fire a lot of bullets : 1 bullet is enough. This is partycularly unreal because when the same airplane attack a target with 20 times more DCA at a distance less than 100 or even 50 m, the pilot is never killed at the first bullet. He has armor under the seat of the pilote and the gunner, for some aircrafts, but it doesn't have any sort of effects against AA. In some airplanes, when a DCA shell explode in the empty bomb bay, the aircraft can still stand in the ait, it can still fly without any pilot-snipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...