DeHavilland Mosquito FB Mk XVIII "Tsetse"

Cannon Fighter-Bomber: Mosquito with 57mm Autocannon
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M00f5RxhxLY[/media]

The Molins Gun in the de Havilland Mosquito
CFImage209.jpg

CFImage208.jpg
CFImage207.jpg
THE AIRCRAFT GUN......
The RAF then became interested in fitting the Molins Gun in the de Havilland Mosquito, to form an airborne anti-tank weapon to replace the Hurricane IID which had been equipped with a pair of Vickers 40mm Class S guns. 

The aircraft was duly developed as the Mosquito FB Mk XVIII, popularly known as the "Tsetse", but by this time the RAF had lost interest in the anti-tank gun role so the aircraft were brought into service by Coastal Command for anti-ship (and specifically anti-U-boat) purposes. The Tsetse, of which about 30 were built, served with No.248 Squadron during 1944 and is credited with sinking a U-boat. 

Perhaps its most remarkable achievement occurred during an anti-shipping strike, when one Tsetse became involved in a melee with defending Luftwaffe aircraft. A Junkers 88 was careless enough to fly in front of a Tsetse, which promptly fired its big gun and demolished the Ju-88 with one shot!

The Molins Gun, which was technically known to the RAF as the "QF 6 pdr Class M Mark I with Auto Loader Mk III" was based on the long-barreled (50 calibre) gun. The gun weighed 487 kg (635 kg with autoloader) and was fully automatic, with a rate of fire of about 55 rounds-per-minute. The ammunition supply in the autoloader consisted of 21 rounds, held in five racks of unequal length, plus two additional rounds in the feedway. The rounds in each rack were fed by a combination of gravity and a spring-loaded arm and each rack was moved into place in turn by an electric motor. The gun normally used the plain AP shot (that is the only one shown in photographs), so had a high muzzle velocity of 890 m/sec (2,920 fps). Against U-boat hulls, it was calculated that it would be able to penetrate the hull when striking at an angle of 45 degrees or more, at a range of about 1400m, even through 60cm of water. The gun/aircraft combination was extremely accurate, achieving a hit rate in training of 33% against tank-sized targets - compared with 5% for rocket projectiles. The Tsetse was eventually withdrawn from service when the RAF decided to use rocket projectiles for such roles because, despite their relative lack of accuracy, these were more suited to a variety of purposes and could easily be fitted, or removed, as required.

The Molins Gun in the Mosquito FB Mk XVIII was tested in the USA in 1945, in comparison with the nearest U.S. equivalent, the manually-loaded 75mm AN-Mk 5 in the PBJ-1H. This comparison was more valid than the difference in calibre might suggest, for the 75x350R ammunition used in the American gun (the same as was used by the M4 tank gun in the Sherman) was about the same overall size as the 57x441R, and the 6 pdr and 75mm tank guns were effectively interchangeable in the later British tanks. 

The Molins Gun impressed the Americans with its performance and reliability and was considered superior to the 75mm as it could achieve a much higher rate-of-fire. It was noted that fairly violent evasive action and 2.5 positive Gs did not cause stoppages - which could not be said for manual loading! 

The Americans recommended that the Molins autoloader could be considered as suitable not just for conventional guns--but also for recoilless weapons and spin-stabilised rockets. 

Read more: http://www.histomil.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=1745&start=20#ixzz2Ye3If2aN

Source

• Upvote 9
medal medal medal

The Germans will aslo be getting the Ju 88 P serries, of which the P-1 carried a 75mm AT gun, P-2 and P-3 had twin 37mm, and P-4 with a 50mm.  Pity that the P-5 isnt listed in the release tree; it supposedly carried an 88mm.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I would love for this to be in the game, would make the mosquito more something people actually want. The ONLY thing you could troll with in the british tree is the 40mm on the hurricane, and that probably wont even be that good, so a 57mm gun would be amazing to have.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

So its not on the release tree.

It will probably be added in later, depending on the popularity or usefulness of the other heavy cannon planes.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Honestly? i'd rather have a Mossie with a cookie. 

Because a fast 4000ib bomber from altitude will be awesome. 

I would love for this to be in the game, would make the mosquito more something people actually want. The ONLY thing you could troll with in the british tree is the 40mm on the hurricane, and that probably wont even be that good, so a 57mm gun would be amazing to have.

the 4000 ib bomb is ment to be a troll in bomber terms, the Lancaster mk III with the 2 x 4000 ib's is like an equivalent to a plane having 2 x 50 mm's.
Besides that I have seen some rather interesting aircraft in the release tree. But who knows.

Our release tree is the smallest in game and most of it is premiums so I will bet that there WILL be more planes.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

When I thought the Mossie couldn't be more awesome I find out about a 57mm cannon version. PUT IT NOW IN GAME GAIJIN! NOW!

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

I'll be pissed off if this badboy doesn't get added. I don't see how it'd be fair that other nations get their badass big guns added but Britain doesn't. 

I think there is a 75 mm version somewhere, not sure it is a prototype, eg like the Italians with the 125 mm cannon on there plane....... crazy Italians.

125mm?! What plane were they hoping to mount that on?!

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

125mm?! What plane were they hoping to mount that on?!

Piaggio P.108A Artigliere, the only Italian 4-engined bomber to ever see operational service.

P108_propaganda.jpg

It had a front-mounted 102mm gun for anti-shipping raids. Over time they realised it was a silly idea as P.108 was very expensive to manufacture. Some time later the Germans showed them what a guided bomb was capable of and the whole idea of mounting big guns on aircraft became history... Until the introduction of C-130 gunships that is.

While we're on the subject of wacky ideas, here's one that never ceases to amaze me.

vespa_militaire_tap.jpg

Yup, that's a scooter with a huge gun mounted on it. It's a Vespa built by the French under license and deployed by their paratroopers in Algeria. The gun is an M20 75mm recoilless rifle, a light anti-tank weapon.

• Upvote 3
medal

There was also a plan to mount a 3.7" gun on the Mossie. They even built one and flew tested it. But by that time they already had decided that retaining the 20mm cannons and having 3" rockets was better. Same reason you saw the Tsetse disappear. Though the rockets there were the AP variety since the Tsetses were mainly used by Coastal Command for sub hunting.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I follow...?

So there was a Q&A last night, I'm assuming there was something about Mosquito's in it. But as there's no transcript up yet its all kind of nebulous to those who don't attend Q&A's.

Plus was it a "Yes next patch" or a "on the things to do list"?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Hang on a minute, more Italian planes? I know they announced the Italian tree some time ago, but as far as I remember they said they were going to fill the gaps in other trees first.

medal

Hang on a minute, more Italian planes? I know they announced the Italian tree some time ago, but as far as I remember they said they were going to fill the gaps in other trees first.

in the Q&A they did say Italians will have a jet.

btw I don't like multi nation tree's =c
I want Germany nad Italy to stick together and Aussie and UK together.......

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal