North American P.51

mc205v

DO YOU WANT THIS AIRCRAFT?   

161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want North American P.51 in the Italian tech tree?

• Yes
    • Yes, but premium or event or squadron vehicle
    • No, need explain

2057375195_1-F-51AMI.jpg.6544a4cdd7e22ff

North American P.51

1754989275_DecalRegiaaeronautica.thumb.j

The Italian Air Force, had come out of the Second World War practically annihilated. The few operational departments they were now flying with real war remnants, both of national construction and sold by the Allies during co-belligerence. After the end of the Second World War the Italian Air Force continued to be equipped with Anglo-American aircraft, this time sold under US aid for reconstruction. From September 1947 the first "P-51" began to arrive which from June of the same year were renamed to "F-51" (F-for-Fighter, renamed by P-for-Pursuit) in total were delivered from the United States to Italy 175 vehicles of the latest production completely overhauled of the models "P-51D 20-NA" and "P51D 25-NA" in fact they mounted a recently produced Hamilton propeller with new blades called "Paddle blades" and were complete with sub-wing supports for the transport of bombs and rockets, (note that the "20-NA" and "25-NA" models were the same aircraft, the different denomination was due from the production batch). The F-51s were assigned to various departments, and contributed to the revival of the Italian Air Force, they also participated in a UN mission in Somalia in 1950. The Italian pilots noticed a not exceptional ascent speed and lower maneuverability of the F-51 than the wartime Macchi C.205 and Fiat G.55. But in terms of armament, stability, autonomy and speed the American fighter was unrivaled. The last F-51s remained in service until 1958 when they were struck off from the service. In my opinion the reason why the F-51 must be added to the Italian TT is because the production of Italian piston aircraft stops at 1943, the addition of the F-51 helps to fill this gap and also easy to add because it is the same as the P-51D 20-NA already in play.

Specifications

Spoiler

Crew: 1
Length: 9,83 m
Wingspan: 11,28 m
Height: 4,08 m
Wing area: 21,83 m2
Empty weight: 3465 kg
Gross weight: 4175 kg
Max takeoff weight: 5488 kg
Powerplant: 1 x Packard (Rolls Royce) V-1650-7 12-cylinder liquid cooled engine 1490 hp (1111 kW) 
Performance
Maximum speed: 708 km/h
Cruise speed: 583 km/h
Stall speed: 160 km/h
Range: 2656 km
Service ceiling: 12800 m
Rate of climb: 16,3 m/s
Wing loading: 192 kg/m2
Armament
Guns: 6 x 0,50 caliber (12,7mm) AN/M2 Browning machine guns with 1840 total rounds 
Bombs: Up to 2000 pounds (900 kg) total on two wing hardpoints
Rockets: Up to 10 x 5,0 in (127 mm) T64 H.V.A.R rockets 

Photos

Spoiler

893396456_2-F-51exposedoutsidetheHistori

P.51 exposed outside the Historical Museum A.M. Vigna di Valle Airport. The aircraft on display bears the distinctive insignia

of the Air Team General Ranieri Cupini who used it until 1953.

Spoiler

1634596133_3-F-51exhibitedinsidetheHisto

P.51 exhibited inside the Historical Museum A.M. Vigna di Valle Airport.

Spoiler

1863622746_4-F-51MM42364-28ofthe10thGrup

P.51 MM 4236  4-28 of the 10th Gruppo of the 4th Stormo

Spoiler

2136093682_5-F-51MM431451-34averyrarepic

P.51 MM 4314  51-34  a very rare picture of the 51st Stormo.

Spoiler

1712393354_6-F-51MM43282-232ndStormoonth

P.51 MM 4328  2-23 2nd Stormo on the Orio al Serio airport in the first half of the 'Fifties.

Spoiler

814743341_7-F-51MM43672-332StormoOrioalS

P.51 MM 4367 2-33 2 ° Stormo, Orio al Serio (BG), spring 1951, during refueling operations.

Spoiler

223723810_8-FlyingformationofF-51ofthe9t

Flying formation of P.51 of the 9th Gruppo  4th Stormo. The ship in foreground shows the insignia of Squadriglia commander under the canopy.

Sources

Storia militare - I Mustang Italiani

http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/storia/museostorico/Pagine/NorthAmericanP51.aspx

https://plane-encyclopedia.com/ww2/p-51-mustang/

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/variants/p51d

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/specifications/

mustang 1-min.png

mustang 2-min.png

mustang 3-min.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1

I dont care it needs to be in the tree, Italy has no fighters with the ability to equip rockets for its ww2 section of the air tree, would benefit a lot, and would be a shame imo to limit its use by only having it as an event/sqaudron/premium.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Conte_Baracca said:

Italy already has super props I don't want a copy paste one.

As long as the USA, Germany, Russia, UK, Japan, France, China and Sweden have "copy paste" I don't see the reason why Italy cannot have them.

Edited by mc205v

Just now, mc205v said:

As long as the USA, Germany, Russia, UK, Japan, France, China and Sweden have "copy and paste" I don't see the reason why Italy cannot have them.

fair

On 26/04/2020 at 21:02, arpitmkn said:

Italy needs this aircraft as it would fill the hole at BR 5.0

at 5.0 no Italian aircrafts are available 

The Italian F-51 was the USA version P-51D 20NA which in RB is BR 4.3 and in AB it is BR 4.0

No.... just no ...

Why ? Because it's another plane that will fight itself in RB and SB , because gaijin won't implement thing like nato/pact matchmaking or even wwii/post wwii matchmaking ..

There is already way too much captured/lendlease/buyed planes on all tech tree giving us spit vs spit , p47 vs p47 and soo on .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Foche said:

No.... just no ...

Why ? Because it's another plane that will fight itself in RB and SB , because gaijin won't implement thing like nato/pact matchmaking or even wwii/post wwii matchmaking ..

There is already way too much captured/lendlease/buyed planes on all tech tree giving us spit vs spit , p47 vs p47 and soo on .

As long as the USA, Germany, Russia, UK, Japan, France, China and Sweden have "copy paste" I don't see the reason why Italy cannot have them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

+1, I support it as a premium/ event vehicle, also I wouldn't mind it in the tech tree since it was used a LOT by the italians after WW2 but i understand the problems that choice would bring so the best compromise should be adding it as a premium or if a proper italian event will be planned as a reward for it

medal

As hostile as people were towards other post war operated/tested/captured/???? vehicles, I'm surprised this wasn't shot down so to speak like the Italian Stuarts.. Then again, this has an actual place in the tree, the Italian Stuart just sorta exists when it didn't need to. I guess I've answered my own question. Dunno.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, Solarmod said:

As hostile as people were towards other post war operated/tested/captured/???? vehicles, I'm surprised this wasn't shot down so to speak like the Italian Stuarts.. Then again, this has an actual place in the tree, the Italian Stuart just sorta exists when it didn't need to. I guess I've answered my own question. Dunno.

I voted no, lol.  People tend to vote yes here.  Except for 75mm shermans...which we got anyway.

39 minutes ago, Conte_Baracca said:

I voted no, lol.  People tend to vote yes here.  Except for 75mm shermans...which we got anyway.

Of Italian-made fighter planes, at medium BRs there are not many to add (the prototypes C.205N-1 and RE2005), and in any case

the F-51 will certainly be premium, and is consistent with the planes used by the Italian Air Force.

Edited by mc205v

On 13/07/2020 at 19:47, mc205v said:

Of Italian-made fighter planes, at medium BRs there are not many to add (the prototypes C.205N-1 and RE2005), and in any case

the F-51 will certainly be premium, and is consistent with the planes used by the Italian Air Force.

I'd agree with that notion, but the J26 wants a word with you

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• BlueBeta changed the title to North American P.51